Does anyone here wake up starving from power naps?

Options
I've heard this could be something to do with blood sugar... I'm not sure. But I've noticed that for pretty much my whole adult life, when I take power naps in the afternoon- I wake up like a hungry hippo!

Anyone else have this problem or know why this happens?

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    *BUMP.

Anyone?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a power nap is. But yeah, when I wake up from a nap I often feel hungry. I don't know if it's because of blood sugar or whatever, or maybe just because I'm used to eating when I wake up in the morning. I don't see it as a problem, I just have a snack.
  • Vegetables_are_fun
    Options
    Absolutely! And a lot of times my heart will be racing too. Unfortunately I usually end up pigging out.....which is annoying, bc I'm trying to take the nap to get energy from a different source other than food! Does the nap itself lower your blood sugar?
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't know what a power nap is. But yeah, when I wake up from a nap I often feel hungry. I don't know if it's because of blood sugar or whatever, or maybe just because I'm used to eating when I wake up in the morning. I don't see it as a problem, I just have a snack.
    I usually just assume that it's because I'm used to eating after waking up too, so I get a snack.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    :noway: You nap in the day? Wow. I am jealous. Haven't done that since I was 3. :ohwell:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I try not to take naps...messes with my night sleep. But the odd time that I do I wake up STARVING! I head straight for the kitchen and eat something fast. Doesn't have to be much, but it's usually peanut butter on a slice of bread or something like that, then I'm fine.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Since I'm actually trying to gain weight, what I do is eat a massive amount of food and take a nap. When I wake up, I feel like I have way more room in my stomach for more food. But I have no scientific evidence to back that up. That's solely based on my experience therefore it could be physiological, it could also be just a mental thing.
  • nantigua
    nantigua Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have a very similar experience with waking up from the occasional nap and heading straight for the refrigerator. I do not like this as i seem to eat whatever pops in my vision at that time : ( Thank God I dont nap often : ))
  • misticache
    misticache Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    It's weird but when I wake up from a nap I head straight for the fridge and grab a drink and something, anything, to eat. Even if it's only some crackers. My heart races also and after a few minutes I'm fine. This happens when I fall asleep on the couch and wake up to move to the bedroom. never thought to check sugar or blood pressure before. What is even stranger is that I don't have this sensation when I wake up in the morning, it's only when I take short naps.
  • maretop2002
    Options
    It happens to me too. Even though I only nap twice a month (an afternoon nap), I always wake up really hungry. And since I'm trying to stick to the Atkins diet, I find some salami and cheese to ease the cravings fast. I'm glad I'm not the only one that has noticed this. And it never happens in the mornings, only with afternoon naps. We have so much to learn why.....
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    *memory lane klaxon*

I lived in Greece, many years ago, and the afternoon nap was built in to the lifestyle... shops closed etc. Marvellous. I still sneak one in on my days off. Tend to wake up thirsty rather than hungry, tho...