Splurge/Cheat Day?

Options
Does anyone else set aside ONE day a week to splurge (within reason)? I did it the last time I lost weight and lost about 45 pounds a couple years ago. As Fridays are my weigh in days, it's usually my go-to cheat day. Having one day a week allows me to eat food that I normally wouldn't, which eliminates me feeling like I'm depriving myself. Thoughts?

Replies

• jeffevans931
    Options
    I have a cheat meal - not necessarily a whole cheat day.
  • Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    cheat day is a little risky, you can go too far and lose progress, so I stick with the cheat meal followed by alot of water
  • leanby2013
    leanby2013 Posts: 137
    Options
    Im having my first one right now actually. Hmm wonder what the scales will say this time next week, if its less, then i will continue to do a weekly cheat day :)
  • Caro1991
    Caro1991 Posts: 97
    Options
    I already eat what i want mix with healthy food, and in less than 5days am down 3lbs. I might change it around a little though.
  • cip1
    cip1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yup. Have mine on weekends. If I can eat more but still healthy - I'll do it. if I fancy pizza or/and ice-cream & cider - I'll also do it.

I still log & I'll try to stay around 200kcl (1200 is my everyday given by MFP).

I tend to have 5-6h climbing session on one of the weekend days, co I guess I partly burn it anyway. But if the session won't happened - I'll still have my cheat day. It helps me to stay away from the fringe on the week days & don't crazy on carbs.
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I have a "cheat day" sometimes weekly. I don't go overboard the entire day. It's either we go out to dinner and eat more than I should or have a few adult beverages. Or my meals are in my normal daily range, but I allow myself a piece of cheesecake or dessert that would put me over by a lot. My cheat days range from being over my count from 400 to 2000 calories. I still log everything! Its been working for me, might not for everyone. Next week, I might have two "cheat days". My birthday falls next week as well as attending a fundraiser on a different night, but I'll try to adjust accordingly.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am fixing to start the Jackie Warner 5 + 2 way of eating. 5 clean days, 2 cheat MEALS, not days. I have slipped a bit lately, and I hope that this will get me back on track.
  • LadyJos
    LadyJos Posts: 29
    Options
    I rather splurge on shoes but I keep my cheat day to 1 meal per week.
  • treeeee
    treeeee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I swear by this!!

I do it on fridays too usually. I think it really helps to shock your body with some unhealthy food for a change so it doesn't get too used to health food. That may just be what I'm telling myself to justify it though :ohwell:

But it also helps to keep me from binging on junk food, knowing that when friday rolls around I can eat any kind of food my little heart desires.
  • ashhhhole
    ashhhhole Posts: 74
    Options
    For me a cheat day for exercise is fine, but unless it is a birthday or something taking a day off from eating well will only backfire. The first few weeks of eating clean are the hardest, but f you stick them out without cheat days then you will stop wanting to eat bad stuff, and then you won't want or need a cheat day. But when you eat that stuff then you crave it more, necessitating a cheat day.
  • mici0427
    mici0427 Posts: 54
    Options
    I do!! It's usually Saturday. Helps to have one day with my kids that I'm not quite as strict on. I will eat what sounds good but I still try to keep within 500 calories of my original goal. I'd hate to undo everything just to splurge one day. I'm not sure if it's good or bad but knowing I have that day coming up really helps to keep me on track!!!!!!
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I also do mine on weekends. As a rule, I eat fruit, or a piece of toast for breakfast, but when weekends roll around, my boys want pancakes, or eggs, etc...I will usually give in and eat what they eat, and then I try to cut back on lunch, or dinner. If we go out like we did last weekend, I still cut corners where I can, but still indulge in some things.

Can't deprive yourself all the time, otherwise it will lead to binge eating. I found that now when I DO overeat, I am miserable, so along this journey I've learned moderation is the key.
  • bull91
    bull91 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cheat MEAL not day. No more than once a week. Usually about once every few weeks. Eat whatever you want. We make sure it is something we have been craving. That way we squash that craving for a long while. Sometimes we will just plan it around our weekly Sunday evening family get together.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Not on purpose. I do have splurge days, but I don't build one into my schedule. If I go over my daily calories by a couple hundred once or twice a week, I don't consider that splurging or cheating, I consider it life happening. Every now and then I'll be presented with an opportunity to genuinely splurge, and I will. My goal on those days is to keep my calories at a maintenance level, which gives me about 1K extra calories to play with, which is more than enough to satisfy any splurge I may have, especially since I eat less quantity now.
  • jyow01
    jyow01 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal it helps me realize that I can make this a life choice and I can still enjoy eating a meal that I really enjoy without feeling guilty.
  • microMXL
    microMXL Posts: 51
    Options
    I do this on saturdays, sometimes I go WAY overboard
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    One Saturday every 2 weeks I cheat for the entire day. It keeps me sane. :laugh:
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I don't trust myself enough yet to really have a cheat day. But I find that on the weekends which are rest days for me for working out, I will eat less salad and try some other things, but I still try to stay near the calorie goal. I have issues, once I eat something I shouldn't I tend to start a long binge and just keep wanting more.
  • laurieblair2012
    Options
    I haven't allowed myself a splurge or a cheat snack or meal in 66 days, much less a whole day. I know myself too well...that band wagon is WAY to hard to climb back on when I fall off...even if it's on purpose and temporary. I am too afraid of the consequences. Maybe the closer I get to goal...but I can't do it yet. It's awesome that you have that kind of self control and commitment to be able to manage it! :)
  • chantellove
    chantellove Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I've been having "cheat meals" way too often, which has hindered my progress the past few weeks. I got down to 139.4 on the scale, and I've been hovering around 140.6 the past few weeks from "cheating" too much. If, and WHEN, I start buckling down and eating better, I will allow myself cheat meals or a cheat day...but as of now I've been making EVERY day a "cheat" day in some fashion, and it's really working against me (OBVIOUSLY). :/