real milk vs almond, soy and rice milk

Options
Ok I have just started this journey and on May 7th I will be having my GVS. I will be on liquids for a while and doing shakes and smoothies as well ! I have been doing the protein shakes and I started by mixing with water, and it was ok, but not awesome. So I have been putting in fat free milk but it has so much sugar in it and cals. I am not a fan of milk period and I only use it for shakes. So was wondering if soy or almond or rice milk might be better. I am on a budget so I don’t want to go out and try tons of different ones and waste money that I don’t have. So I am looking for recommendation that could be easily purchased here in the states. And looking for something that tastes ok too.

thanks

Replies

• PsycheSC
    PsycheSC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is really good, has a very mild flavor (not what I would call very "coconutty" tasting) and is low in calories (50 per cup). It is also supposed to be really good for you in general - lots of vitamins and minerals, etc. I have only had it plain and in my eggs in the morning, but I think it would work great for a smoothie.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Fat free milk (cow's milk) is probably your best bet, as it has the most protein in it of your 4 choices. I have almond milk, but haven't tried it because it did not have the protein in it. And it had almost the same carb count. Shocked me!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I prefer the no added sugar chocolate almond milk. It has more calcium and less calories than skim milk. it doesnt have as much protein but if you are adding it to a protein shake you should be fine. The coconut milk is also good
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk for my chocolate protein shakes. I'm mildly lactose intolerant, so the whey protein already puts me at my limit. Using real milk pushes me over the edge. Anyway, I like the nutty flavor almond milk adds to the shake. It's yummy.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Milk will be cheapest. There's just no way around that.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have a store brand almond milk that is good and their prices are reasonable. Milk is STILL cheaper volume per volume.

Otherwise... I don't have much to add to the topic :D I don't see a health benefit of one vs. the other, and I don't really have a reason to justify the higher price of almond milk. I do drink almond milk sometimes because I like it. But that's all.
  • MNfreak
    MNfreak Posts: 2
    Options
    First of concrats on the 17lbs lost in just over 2 months good work. the extra cals in milk are ok they come from the protein and the "essential fatty acids". If your not lactose intolerant why waste money on the almonds and soy(" my thought")... just get the skim and call it a day or stick with the water. Remember you are doing this to meet your goals... not to find your new favorite snack. or see how quick you can break your budget.
  • monet13
    monet13 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I really like the unsweetened Almond Milk - Target stores now carry it, and it's often on sale. I also have some dairy issues and milk isn't worth the potential of stomach upset - now ice cream , on the other hand....
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    My vote's for soy milk, based on taste and consistency - I've found it just works better for me, since I don't like watery drinks so I avoid skim milk and don't mix my protein shake with water.

But that's just me: price-wise, I can't comment because I live in Aus.