What am I doing wrong?

I'll try to make this brief. 4 weeks in a row of 0 pounds lost, 0 inches lost. I eat healthy, measure food, drink all my water, workout everyday with a HRM and work hard at my workouts. I do strength training and cardio. I'm doing everything by the books. Why no results? If someone says muscle weighs more than fat, I will slap them. Oh, and I've been doing this for a total of 7 weeks today, so it seems extremely early on for me to hit such a hard plateau when I have more than 100 pounds to lose. It's not just the last 10 pounds or something. Please, someone help me out....I will give more details if need be, I am on some medications and have some health issues, but I really don't think they are causing the "no results" issue. But I am willing to give all the details about myself that I can to figure this out. It's very frustrating and very discouraging. Thanks to anyone who might be able to give some advice.

Replies

• Cyndie3
    Cyndie3 Posts: 24 Member
    I have the same problem been doing all the right things for about the same length of time! I think my problem is that I am not eating the right amt of foods or exercising properly! With all the support from everyone I am sure you have great success,, good luck to you
  • LovingLisa2012
    LovingLisa2012 Posts: 775 Member
    hey, i didn't get back to your profile yet ( idk if you responded) but you deff answered my ?s here

i would suggest using TDEE to figure out cals needed (not just MFP)
    also since you stated your on meds, i would check to see if they may cause weight gain (it happens)

check this out
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr?error_user_id=18627589&error_username=LovingLisa2012&hl=tdee

your cals might be low
    mine are 1600 ( 2 pounds lost)
    2100 ( 1 pound lost)
    though i range from 2000 - 2500 (net) and been losing more
    wk 1 April (added in workouts) 2.6
    wk 2 April ( gained .4 but i hurt my leg and didn't workout that much and was eating closer to 3k)
    wk 3 April ( 1.6 lost and this is friend visting week)

*been tracking since March - but added workouts in April*
  • hsrunningmom
    hsrunningmom Posts: 134 Member
    If you are sure you are doing everything right, then you may want to consider that there may be a medical issue going on. Two that I deal with that make it extremely difficult to loose weight is having hypothyroidism and also having sleep apnea. I basically had my doctor tell me that I would not loose weight until I started sleeping better and I wouldn't start sleeping better until I lost weight. After starting treatment for my sleeep apnea did I start loosing weight for the first time in over a year. I'd go to your doctor and having them check things over. It might also help to make you food diary public. That will help to see what you've been doing. Good luck!
  • niss63
    niss63 Posts: 82 Member
    Assuming that your medications aren't inhibiting your weight loss (and no underlying medical issues), then the only reason I can see is inaccuracy in calories and exercise, or eating incorrectly. I can't see your diary, but that's my best guess.
  • labtracks
    labtracks Posts: 108 Member
    Definitely look into what lovinglisa talked about! As odd as it may sound you may not be eating enough calories which could easily cause your body to "pause" to see what's going on. There are a few people on here that will run your numbers for you and make recommendations... I know "helloitsdan" is one, but there are others.
    If you are eating the 1200 or around there that MFP recommends to almost everyone then you aren't eating enough. Here is one of my favorite articles on this topic. It's long, but written in a very understandable way.

Good luck with your journey! Feel free to friend me if you need support!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Karsty
    Karsty Posts: 22 Member
    I'm not a doctor and can only express an opinion based on my own experience dieting for almost 40+ years and watching other people who claim they are dieting. You are either eating too much ... or as some suggested too little and your body is going into starvation mode. I'm not totally convinced about his "starvation mode" that folks talk about. I have never encountered it that I am aware of.

Your profile suggests that you have 125 or so pounds you want to lose. Fair enough.

How many calories a day are you consuming? And are they "healthy calories". By that I mean are you eating fast foods which are high in fat and sodium and junk food like chocolate bars and chips and soft drinks with tons of sugar. Some folks think these are OK as long as they are staying within their calorie range ...

You indicate you are on meds and have "health issues". Talk to your doctor and express your concerns to him/her. Ask them to hook you up with a dietician so that you can ensure that you are eating the proper foods. Some folks don't have a clue how to eat properly. Some claim they "can't afford to eat healthy, yet they are able to run out to the pizza joint or McDonald's. <shaking my head>

All the best to you.
  • gspfan99
    gspfan99 Posts: 6
    Right now MFP is telling to me eat about 1400 cals a day, plus my exercise cals, which I do eat. Those tend to be around 400 cals. I eat only healthy food, no fast food, no fried food, no junk, no chocolate or sweets. I eat fruits and veggies and baked or grilled meats, all measured and portioned properly. Low-sodium, low-carbs...you name it, I do it. I workout at least 5 days a week doing TaeBo cardio workouts plus strength training every other day.
    I went to the website about TDEE and I'm confused. I plugged in my info, so maybe someone can break it down for me in laymen's terms and tell me how many calories I should eat per day according to my TDEE? It says my TDEE is 3168 and I put it in as 3-5 days of exercise. Can someone tell me how many calories I should have in one day if I'm working out 30 min a day to TaeBo cardio plus strength training every other day at least Mon-Fri. So a minimum of 5 days a week.
  • gspfan99
    I'm confused with the TDEE. I plugged in all my info and it came up saying my TDEE is 3168...so what does that mean? How many cals a day should I eat if I'm working out and burning about 400-500 cals a day?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    So your TDEE is being estimated at 3168 and you are eating 1800 - 1900 cals which are the 1400 base goal from MFP plus the 400-500 of exercise.

On the face of it you have a calorie deficit of over 1000 calories a day, which is worth about 2 pounds per week weight loss. But you have none.

I'm a practical experimental sort of guy - I would try eating just the 1400 and not exercising for 2 weeks. See how that goes. Just be reasonably active without the training. Be your own lab rat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I'm confused with the TDEE. I plugged in all my info and it came up saying my TDEE is 3168...so what does that mean? How many cals a day should I eat if I'm working out and burning about 400-500 cals a day?

A TDEE of 3168 means that your body is using that much energy per day for its own purposes, to get you around, to digest your food and to fuel your exercise.

Of the 3168 you have 400-500 of exercise, so without that you would be using 2668-2768 cals as your TDEE.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member

TDEE takes into account your lifestyle, and therefore, your exercise calories. That's what you'd eat if you wanted to maintain. 15 - 20% below TDEE should give you a good weight loss, so about 2500 cals a day (and don't eat back your exercise calories). If you're scared to up it that much, you can go up slowly - a 100 calories a week, for instance, and see where that gets you. Your calorie deficit would be about 600 a day, enough to give you a 1 lb./week loss.
  • It would be easier to help you if you could set your food diary so the public can view it. Maybe you are eating something you shouldn't and don't realize it:)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    your body is probably fighting back and/or catching up. I think you should take 2-3 rest and recovery days per week...especially early on in the journey. Fact is that rest and recovery days are AS IMPORTANT TO PROGRESS as exercise days. If you aren't giving your body enough time to recover, then its going to fight you for progress.

also, just checking to make sure you are using a HRM with a chest strap. Some HRMs are not accurate...and while I don't doubt you are working hard, its pretty difficult to burn 400+ calories through resistance training.

also, I'm not exactly sure what "all my water" means...but aim for half your body weight in ounces each day.
  • gspfan99
    Thank you for clearing up the TDEE. I understand it now. I will try a week of raising my calories to about 2200-2500 and keep working out the same and see what happens. It's only 1 week if it doesn't work and so far I've spent the last 4 weeks with no results anyway. What's one more week? Thanks again for helping to clarify how the TDEE works!
  • TheChocolatePrincess
    TheChocolatePrincess Posts: 137 Member
    I felt the same way when i started back in January and saw absolutely no results at the end of February.

I went to see my doc and he ran a litany of tests (there is absolutely nothing wrong with me), he looked at my chart and said, "your problem is your birth control, you won't see any weight loss until you come off" (I've been on Depo provera for 9 years.

After an EKG and an echocardiogram, he put me on phentermine and told me to stop the shots. The hormone is going to be in my system until like July (according to the OB, who I visited to confirm my GPs diagnosis)...

Anywho, I guess this is all to say, it very well could be one of your medications; especially if you are on any synthetic hormones or steroids (i.e. Asthma medication, skin medication, etc.).

You should work with your physican(s) and figure out a weight loss plan.

I have been counting calories (eating a significantly less amount because of the depo), trying to eat better, and excercising as much as possible.

I have lost 15lbs (since my doctor's visit) and I am not looking back.

It can be done, don't be discouraged. If you talk to your doctor they may have alternative medication suggestions or at least may be able to give you some nutrition guidance (i.e. my doc suggested I cut back on carbs, dairy, soy, and meat because of the nature of the hormone in depo).

Good luck and stay positive and keep at it, it may be slow at first but you will see progress eventually. Also, you may want to get your thyroid tested and just have a physical to make sure that there isn't an underlying medical condition that may be making it hard for you to lose the weight.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    bumping for later
  • gspfan99
    I'm not burning 400 calories just from resistance training. This is with cardio including 5 days a week. That is where my calorie burn is coming from. The resistance/strength training is just every other day. And as far as drinking water, I drink at least 64 ounces a day. Some days are more.
    Also, in response to mystressjones...I too am on the Depo shot and I know this makes weight loss difficult. I have been on it for about 5 years now. I will make an appt with my Dr. next week and get her recommendations. Thank you.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Its possible you are not eating enough food or the right balances with the work you are doing. Can you open your diary or send me a message?
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    No way we can advise or comment with a closed diary.

If you really want help then we need to see what's going on!!!

Take Care!!
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Also, what she said. It would help if you opened up your diary. Sometimes it helps to have an outside source view your intake and provide helpful critiques (or not obviously if it isnt required) but it would probably really help.