protein question

Options
Will going over your daily protein amount set by MFP hamper your weightloss?
Usually by the end of the day I still have anywhere from 200-400 calories left but my protein is all gone or either I go over the amount.
I do eat alot of high protein snacks like weight watchers cheese, almonds, etc. Normally I also just have slim fast for breakfast & lunch which is also high in protein. I'm not eating alot of meats (maybe once a day if that)

Replies

• katiedidd66
    Options
    I am always over on my protein, usually by a pretty good amount. I can't tell you if it hampers weight loss, as I've had success losing weight thus far. Most of the time, eating protein is the only way I can reach my calorie goal.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can jig your percentages around in your settings. I currently have mine set at 50% carbs, 25% protein and 25% fat (just changed it to that today). It was previously set at 20% protein and 30% fat.

I wouldn't suggest taking your carbs below, say 45%, but you can certainly jigle things aorund to give yourself a little more wiggle room whilst staying within your allowances. You can also "earn" more in each section of your allowances by doing some extra exercise - the allowances go up right across the board. If I'm planning on going out to eat, I do a little extra exercise to cover any eventualities. :)
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    I'm always over my protein by about 5%. I have had great weight loss even going over my protein. If I need more calories in a day, I add a protein shake or some egg whites. I know some people prefer real food over a protein shake, but it's all about personal preference.
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Too much protein will not hamper your weight loss. If anything, it will help your body preserve your lean body mass (muscles) while you are in fat-burning mode. MFP's protein % is pretty low; even when I wasn't watching my macros, I was still eating far more protein than it recommended.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I changed my macros to 40% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat. I'm full, loosing a great amount of weight and really happy with the macros. Extra protein is not a bad thing! X
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    On the contrary, protein will help you feel fuller, and if you're excercising it will help build muscle. MFP targets are pretty low for protein, I've raised mine. I don't really believe super high protein diest are healthhy or sustainable, but I think upping your protein within sensible levels within the calorie limits you have set will do good not harm
  • kwenghofer
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I feel much better now :happy:
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I changed my macros to 40% carbs, 40% protein, 30% fat. I'm full, loosing a great amount of weight and really happy with the macros. Extra protein is not a bad thing! X

40/30/30??
  • DawnM62
    DawnM62 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thank you I too have been wondering about that at the end of the day I'm always over on my protein and under on my cals
  • jry823
    jry823 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not in my experience. I follow a 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat balance b/c I have learned through trial and error that I feel fuller longer and am successful in losing weight when I eat more protein and less carb. But that's just me. The default MFP settings were not a good fit for me, so I customized them. And protein can come from lots of sources other than meat, but meat is not a diet killer. crap eating and giant portions are.
  • Norinella
    Norinella Posts: 31
    Options
    How can you change the percentages? I can't find that in my settings.
  • BryGuy2
    BryGuy2 Posts: 244
    Options
    To change your precentage settings, go to:
    Home>Goals>Set to Custom>Change goals and you'll see the option below.

To add to my post, I feel fuller when I have protein shakes. It helps to hold me over for a couple hours. I follow a 50% protein, 30% carbs and 20% fats. I like to stay away from fats, but not all together. This has really helped me in losing weight. When i want mass, I would up my carb intake.