Workout Variety

Options
mstaser
mstaser Posts: 657 Member
right now I am focusing on cardio stuff between running and biking, mostly biking. I used to try and throw some weights in there every week also but haven't done that in a couple weeks. But I am working the cardio more per week. I hit a small plateau and it seems to be about when I increased my cardio and cut back my weights. I am not sure if that is a coincidence or not. Before I was running 2-3 times a week and hitting the weights 1 night. Now I am running/biking about 4-5 times a week with no weights. I was thinking I will keep with what I am doing for another week and see what happens, but I wanted to get y'alls opinions in the mean time.

Replies

• themariashow
    Options
    I saw most of my results kick in when I starting weight lifting. It burns less calories while you do it, but it's the quickest and most motivating way to see results.

I recommend losing about 10 - 15 minutes of cardio a day and replacing it with lifting. JeFit is a great app for exercise ideas.

Good luck!
  • mstaser
    Options
    blump
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    you didn't say how long your "plateau" has lasted, which is a significant part of the equation because there are times when the body needs to catch up with what we are doing.

also, most folks burn more calories with steady state cardio work than resistance work. When you switched to more cardio work, did you also increase your food intake on those days to compensate for the additional calories you are burning? Are you using a HRM to monitor the calories burned? In short, you may not be eating enough.
  • mstaser
    Options
    If I compare my rate of loss over the last several weeks, I would say this plateau has lasted a couple weeks maybe. But I am not officially calling it a true plateau yet because I don't think it has been long enough. But I am not sure.

I haven't changed my eating since the change. I have only been doing this whole deal for a few month and think I am probably jumping the gun on the "plateau" calling a bit. I was just on a consistant loss for a while and then it stopped.