Cottage cheese - SODIUM! :[

Options
So, I love cottage cheese. I actually don't think that love is a strong enough word. I could truly live off of the stuff. If I were stranded on a desert island and you told me I could only eat one thing the rest of my life, it would be cottage cheese.

But - the sodium! Why, sodium gods, must you torture me!? I usually go for the lighter version (1-2% milkfat) any sized curd, and sodium is around 450-500mg for HALF A CUP! Are you kidding me? Half a cup? I want to eat the entire carton at any given time! But, alas, I just can't bring myself to eat more because of the sodium.

My purpose for posting: has anyone found any low(er) sodium cottage cheese? I know there's supposed to be some magical 30% less sodium cottage cheese by breakstone, but I have no clue where to find it. Any other brands/stores to try? I live in the states (Baltimore, MD to be specific).

Thanks!

Replies

• ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I only eat the Daisy brand cottage cheese for its natural ingredients...yes sodium is high but I just limit it for the day.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If I were stranded on a desert island and you told me I could only eat one thing the rest of my life, it would be cottage cheese.

So, this desert island has like a refrigerator or something?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    when I was eating a ton of cottage cheese (like 2+ cups per day), I would strain it in a collander (noodle strainer).
    If you rinse it off, most of the sodium is washed down the drain.
  • ed395
    ed395 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You might look at dry curd cottage cheese

I use a Meadow Gold product that has only 45mg sodium per cup
    (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/meadow-gold-dry-curd-cottage-cheese-11801819)
  • sdowswell
    sdowswell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ever tried making your own? It is really easy, and you'd also have a better means of controlling the sodium, fat, etc, and not having it so easy to procure might help you ration...

Just a thought.

Further, I'm glad to see that someone else loves the stuff as much as I do.