to all the runners.... HELP

Options
So im in need of help from the people who like to run. I can't run 5 mins and i want to know how do i build myself up to being able to run miles. I know just keep doing it but it has to be a better answer than that..... I tried the C25k but it was still a bit to much for me starting out....... PLEASE HELP ME.

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There are many versions of the C25K, maybe a different one. More likely, don't be afraid to repeat weeks. Start with week 1 (obviously). If you get through it, move to week 2. If you can't complete all the workouts, do the best you can and then repeat week 1 again. Don't move on to the next week just because the calendar says move, you advance when you are physically ready. Otherwise you will not be able to complete the next week's workouts, which means you aren't ready for the following week, etc. It's just a vicious cycle. So it may take twice as long to complete the program, but you will get there
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Sorry but nope just keep doing it the endurance will come. It actually came rather qucikly for me but that first 4-6 weeks I was dreading the run but now I cannot imagine my life without running. Maybe start out on a elipitical or an Arc Trainer or even a stair master something to help yourself get conditioned? Maybe even start on a treadmill before hitting the pavement? I started on the Elipical moved to the treadmill now its outside all the time. Oh yea and possibly invest in a HRM to make sure you dont over do it at first.
  • dmwiseman
    dmwiseman Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I needed this.
  • krittie67
    krittie67 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    there are several websites to help - cool running is one has a training plan from couch to 5k (http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml). Are you training outside or on a treadmill. The best way is to Run a bit and walk a bit soon you will be running farther and walking less. But there is no shame in walking when you need to, start out slow so that you don't get injured. Just keep at it.
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    There are many versions of the C25K, maybe a different one. More likely, don't be afraid to repeat weeks. Start with week 1 (obviously). If you get through it, move to week 2. If you can't complete all the workouts, do the best you can and then repeat week 1 again. Don't move on to the next week just because the calendar says move, you advance when you are physically ready. Otherwise you will not be able to complete the next week's workouts, which means you aren't ready for the following week, etc. It's just a vicious cycle. So it may take twice as long to complete the program, but you will get there

thanks for the tips.... i guess i can just do the weeks over.
  • darrindlb
    darrindlb Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you tried local Park and recreation for a couch to 5K program. This would give you others to help with this journey.
  • ReclaimingSarah
    ReclaimingSarah Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The best piece of advice I've seen for new runners is "Run until you're tired, then walk until you're bored." Then just keep repeating it. Good luck! :happy:
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was like you, and tried C25K but felt like it was too much. She ended up doubling the days to help her ease in to it, and by the time she was on week 4, she was doing great. It takes time, practice, and patience.
    By doubling the days I mean she did day 1 for two days, day 2 for two days, etc. so it took her like...two weeks to do week one.
  • drewbird911
    drewbird911 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Also don't push it too hard, as your just starting out.
  • charliedavisxxx
    charliedavisxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i used to hate running ... but now i enjoy it ...

start doing walking....10 mins. jog 3 mins. walk 10 mins jog 3 mins walk 10 mins..
    everyday you'll find it easier and after starting with a 10 min walk increase the amount you jog compared to walking.
    remember to warm down so you dont get stiff.
    its always tempting to 'run' but hardly anyone can 'run' for more then 10 mins jogging may look silly and might not be that much faster than walking but its a step in the right direction.

.....last tip.... get yourself some great music. not too fast beat and the kind you would dance/sing along to. really distracting and makes you smile while you jog... never a bad thing. my old trainer said that if you smile while you run you trick your body into thinking you're enjoying it haha

best of luck sweetie! hope its goes well, but dont expect too much to fast, thats the key.

love love from England xxxx
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    For weeks now, during my 3-4 mile walks outside I've been trying to run/walk run/walk and typically just gave up and walked. But last night I decided to get on the treadmill instead and ran for 15 minutes straight at 5.0mph. I was tired after the 15 minutes, but that's the longest I've ever run at one time in my life and I'm 33. So, I'm assuming it was the treadmill, but I may be wrong. I'll be taking my cardio workouts indoors and concentrating on running more now that I know it doesn't kill me...LOL
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input i will try it again and see how it works out:smile:
  • chaze515
    chaze515 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    these are great tips!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I started running a few years ago I could barely make it around the block.

Here's what I did. Run(slowly) 1 minute & walk 10, repeat. The following week run 2 minutes, walk 9 & repeat; keep on adding a minute at a time to your running until the ratio looks like 10 min running / 1 min walking. Don't worry if you progress slowly, take your time and listen to your body and before you know it you'll be posting "I ran a mile!!!!"
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    So im in need of help from the people who like to run. I can't run 5 mins and i want to know how do i build myself up to being able to run miles. I know just keep doing it but it has to be a better answer than that..... I tried the C25k but it was still a bit to much for me starting out....... PLEASE HELP ME.

Run for 5 minutes, then walk for 5 then try running for 6 minutes etc. until you're running for say 10 minutes. It's going to take time to build up your endurance and, well, time. No one who started running started out doing marathons. Set little goals for yourself and push to those goals.

Also you might be running too fast. Start out at a nice, slow pace.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i added in strength training and it has helped me a lot. I started off walking and then jogging. I just pick a point and say i'm going to jog to that point and then go a little further each time. You have to just keep pushing yourself and put "can't" out of your vocabulary. I have never done couch to 5k or any of those. I just did it and with a broken toe my first 5k was 40 min my last was 35:51 each time gets a little better. but really 30 day shred and other dvd's with weights have helped immensely.
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Find some good music, I love to run but when I need to push hard I have a couple of powerplay songs to get me moving. Also I have the Nike sensor that hooks to my shoe which tracks my progress and when I achieve a new milestone someone famous -lance armstrong congratulated my on my longest workout yet.

I am fortunate that I love to run, it gives my time alone in my head to reflect or more often to not reflec and turn off my mind.

I hope you can find some joy in it to.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running? You might need to slow your pace down. You shouldh't be out of breath. When I first started I ran fast but then couldn't go very far. My goal was to be able to run 3 miles with out stopping and my friend helped me slow my pace down so I could do just that! Concentrate on how you breath, if it is strained - SLOW down. If your legs are starting to hurt - SLOW down. Do you have a C25K app? I loved having this for my outside runs. I could concentrate on my form and breathing and just listen for the beeps.

Good Luck!
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I used to run too fast when I started jogging. Just try and push yourself to continue jogging until you're tired, and then walk until you've caught your breath. Just try and continue to jog, even at a slow pace it's a great workout.

I actually jog slower than I walk. But I'm getting quicker, it's just that it takes time for me :)