Just bought 18kg kettlebell - tips?

Options
The title says it all really! I just bought an 18kg kettle bell and would like to use it to do full-body exercises. I'm quite strong already, but want to be able to do non-bodyweight strength training at home.

Any tips?

Replies

• snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bumpetybump :)
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
  • snakesandladders2
    snakesandladders2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks duqtape!

My bell will be arriving on Monday, can't wait to bust some moves :)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My bell will be arriving on Monday, can't wait to bust some moves :)

Your poor letter carrier will be getting a workout!:smile:

We've started incorporating kettlebells into the strength training at my tri club. My caoch recommended this book

Ultimate Kettlebells Workbook: The Revolutionary Program to Tone, Sculpt and Strengthen Your Whole Body
    by Dave Randolph

http://www.amazon.ca/Ultimate-Kettlebells-Workbook-Revolutionary-Strengthen/dp/1569758743/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1335007135&sr=1-2

my copy should be arriving Monday......
  • niknak30
    niknak30 Posts: 58
    Options
    GAK! As much as my trainer loves kettle bells, I do not!
    I see the benfits though - remember to bend your knees.....,. my lower back (which touch wood has no injuries) always feels sore if I don't
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting the kettle ball stuff so is my wife should be interesting
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    LOVE kettlebells - though I didn't at first!! There's so many things that you can do with them. though, the 18kg won't be the only one you'll need. you'll get stronger and need more weight at some point. :) and you may not be able to do all exercises with that weight just yet. good luck!! :)
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'd advise getting some advice and training from a professional also. Technique in using the kettlebell is very critical to make the most progress and avoid injuries. I found it really helpful to have a trainer watch and critique my form when I was first learning.

Have fun! You'll love the workouts.
    9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    LOVE kettlebells - though I didn't at first!! There's so many things that you can do with them. though, the 18kg won't be the only one you'll need. you'll get stronger and need more weight at some point. :) and you may not be able to do all exercises with that weight just yet. good luck!! :)

I didn't even realize you had ordered an 18kg bell (guess I should read closer). That's HUGE! You'll definitely want something smaller for many of the basic exercises. I'm a big, strong guy and I don't usually use anything larger than 16kg.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I started out with a 5 pound kettlebell until I got used to the exercises and techniques. I used it for a few weeks and then bumped up to a 10 pound one. I have been using the 10 pound kettlebell for a few weeks now, but I'm not ready to bump up to my 15 pound one just yet. So I'm going to continue to use my 10 pound one for a few more weeks until I am ready to bump up to the 15 pounder. Then who knows from there?!

I use the dvd "Kettlebell Bootcamp" with Angie Miller. It's great for beginner's and gives you an overall body workout. I really like it! Now I just have to learn to be patient until I see results. I am hoping to tone up my flabby bat wings, thighs and tummy! So, I guess it's just like the weight loss, it just takes time. At least I hope that's the case! :)

Good luck and I hope you really enjoy your kettlebell!
  • maxdwolf
    maxdwolf Posts: 18
    Options
    I find kettlebells are a fun change from the usual and a good overall workout. I got most of my info on various websites, including youtube. Make sure to focus on form in the beginning. Make sure to work in the Russian get-up and Russian twist into your regimen, great for the core and balance.
  • Balice57
    Balice57 Posts: 125
    Options
    I have been using a 10 lb. kettlebell, and just ordered a 20 lb. for the swings especially. I will continue to use the 10 lb. for some other body toning exercises, but it's feeling kind of wimpy for the swings. Check out: http://www.skoggsystem.com/. He (Michael Skogg) also has some good YouTube videos for proper form and some new moves. Good luck!
  • Seahawk27
    Seahawk27 Posts: 72
    Options
    Kettlebells are an AWESOME workout, but make sure you get some training on how to use them first. Technique is EVERYTHING, because it's super easy to hurt yourself. As previous posters have said, you will want a variety of weights, I have a 10 lb, a 15 lb, a 25 lb and a 35 lb one and I workout with a trainer who's specialty is Russian Kettlebells.
  • k0nfyo0zed
    k0nfyo0zed Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i like the videos on www.fitnessblender.com just go to the workouts tab, and search for kettlebell. there are 4 videos. no cheesy music. just a voice over trainer, and a woman doing the exercises so you can see form. :)
  • jengigs
    jengigs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just started Kettlebells also and am loving it. I've been following the exercises at http://livefitrevolution.org. She is RKC certified, and really seems to know what she's doing and it's a free nonprofit. There is actually a place to train with kettlebells really near me, but you have to pay $600 to have individual instruction before you can even take group classes. Just isn't going to happen right now. You might check at the YMCA too. I took a tour of my local one yesterday, and they have kettlebells and the trainer said he could help me out.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    Bump