Trouble reaching protein goal each day.

Options
AmyM713
AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
So my question is this if I am not reaching my protein goal for the day but its a rest day and I am not going to work out, is it still ok to drink a protein shake or should I leave that for the days I work out only?

Replies

• shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I only do protein shakes after a heavy workout. It's my treat for doing so well.
    If you don't get a lot of protein from other things, then I can't see it hurting to have a shake on a rest day.
  • newlife4cindy
    newlife4cindy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    drink your shake girl! i drink them as a snack, post-workout, whenever i feel like it! great way to get in that protein :)
  • rcates2424
    rcates2424 Posts: 208
    Options
    And shakes like intek are high in protein and low in calories
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    If you need to drink a shake to get your protein in, drink a shake. :) "They" say the best sources are "real food", but if you just can't do it, have the shake.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I really try because I'd rather eat real food rather then drink it but I always seem to fall short.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and drink it.

Rather you workout that day or not, your muscles are still recovering from yesterdays workout.

Plus you can always use some extra protein.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what shakes are for - helping you hit a protein goal.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I drink one every morning!! Premier Protein - 160 cal - 30gr Protein!!

Works great!!!
  • tlbr8408
    tlbr8408 Posts: 5
    Options
    protein is great for speeding your metabolism...drink one everyday :)
  • lily1972
    lily1972 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I agree: shakes are very useful - especially as an evening snack when you don't want carbs!

Have you heard of hemp hearts? They are shelled hemp seeds, about the size of sesame seeds with a slight nutty flavor. For 3 tbsp, you get 170 calories, 10 g protein, 3 g carbs, 3 g fiber and omegas! You can sprinkle them on almost anything (I sprinkle them on my cereal and Greek yogurt for breakfast and on salads - but not with Italian dressing; it spoils the taste).

Good luck!
  • eclare87
    eclare87 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i usually put half a scoop of chocolate whey in my hazelnut coffee and i like that! a lot of times for dinner though i have an omelette for breakfast and that seems to help me get my protein up a little higher too.... i also struggle with reaching my goal though!
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I drink 3 a day, I count it too as my water intake.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    What is in this shake? It's important to have different kinds of foods, for the body to get different nutrients.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Add some nuts and some cottage cheese.
  • candacerm
    Options
    I mix up my shake in the morning and sort of sip it throughout the day so i am not getting an excess of protein in one sitting. My shake has 32 grams of protein. Your body uses protein all day long, but it WILL turn excess protein to fat if you take too much in at once.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    one suggestion is replace peanutbutter with plain fat free greek yogurt.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    you and I can trade, I'm always over my protein, EVERYDAY.

But I would say try to incorporate it in with food, a lot of meats, and if you're vegetarian, a lot of boca stuff has a good protein content, add non-fat greek yogurt as well. I do this though because I hate the taste and texture of protein shakes, but just an idea!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    this is exactly what shakes are for - helping you hit a protein goal.

ROFLMAO. Not really.

Seriously, Get real about what you eat. Modify where you need to. If you dont eat meat, drink the shakes, if you so choose.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Probably ideally up your protein intake from food for all the other benefits (have you tried lentils? Half a cup of green lentils has 140 calories and 16g of protein, and if you like come out of a can so zero prep other than incorporating into whatever else you meal is). And there's no end other other high protein foods to discover. But I should think a shake is better than going low on protein.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    DW and I actually don't use protein shakes for recovery. We make green smoothies nearly every morning for breakfast and then I make a very yummy vegan chocolate recovery pudding. (We aren't vegan, but we are avoiding Whey protein.)