READY TO GIVE UP...

Options
So, I started out and lost all my weight...around 35 lbs. I went from 163ish down to 125 ish, I leaned out and had great muscle definition and dropped to a 17.5% BF. Well, the last few months (8 months) I have not lost anything, Im talking pounds or inches IN FACT im now gaining weight and inches despite my hardest efforts of lowering my calorie intake and still doing all my heavy lifting and cardio. Im SO bummed and feel like I shouldnt be here offering my advice to all my awesome MFP friends because in reality I dont know whats even going on with myself. I feel helpless.

Im sluggish, down and not my happy self, I have had a missed period (sory if TMI) which came the following month and now waiting on it again, my knees hurt, im hungry but look bloated constantly.....Where is my mojo? I feel I have tried everything...changing my routine, changing my diet, changing to maintenance for a week, higher calories, lower calories, no cardio, lots of cardio... you name it, and Ive tried it but to no avail.... I feel I am failing and losing everything I have worked for in the past.

I wear a bodybugg and my TDEE is never under 2100 for the day...it usually is around 2400 but can range upwards to 3000 depending on how active I am. (usually only on super exciting weekends when Im working in my yard all day, clean house, then gym time, shopping, and perhaps some golf ;) Right now im allowing myself 1600-1800 calories a day. STRICT...doesnt matter my exercise. Im doing this from the advice given to me from a trainer on here. It was suggested that my Bodybugg doesnt work for me. Im lost....I started this new "diet" last saturday and guess what? Ive gained weight since then too.

Anyways, it feels good to get this out. My main objective is to say Im sorry to the MFP people that have PM'd me with no response from my end. Im in a slump and dont know how to offer advice at this time. Sincerely- Holly JZ

Replies

• SuperAmie
    SuperAmie Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Awh Holly, It happens... I am not a pro and I havent been physically doing this for a long time but I have been looking into it and researching for awhile... I think you have just hit a slump... which happens to EVERYONE... The period thing sounds like its stress... stress can do some weird things to our bodies...
    Make sure your eating clean (sounds like you are).. Try and focus on your mood... its all surrounded by it. Mood is everything.. For a little bit, focus on making your mood better you know?? Dance, or read or even go to a spa and relax.. de-stress yourself...
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Holly, you know I adore you. I"m starting to think that with the missed period, the sluggishness, etc you may have some underlying health issue going on...may be something smaller like hypothyroidism which you can medicate or something else. I think you should go in for a battery of test @ the Dr's. And be your own advocate sweeti--tell them you know you're not yourself and something is wrong...

As always I am here for you <3
  • ma34113
    ma34113 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    what?!?! no you cant stop you are my inspiration!!! even if you are not currently losing you are still in amazing shape and that way better than most!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish? At some point your body will stop cutting fat and stop losing weight. I am sorry but I didn't find where you said your goal was.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    thank you girls... this is becoming very frustrating is all. some days are better than others. today isnt one of those days. love you guys.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am by no means an expert, but I think your body is satisfied where you are now and might be looking to maintain. I also think you are stressed and that is adding to your issues, you are putting too much pressure on yourself. Also, have you talked to a doctor about your problems? You probably need to and they can run tests to make sure it isn't something medical...that would be my first stop. And try to stay calm and know it isn't the end of the world and cut yourself some slack...you've have come so far and accomplished so much, try and remember that! HUGS
  • farm_mamaX9
    Options
    Could you be pregnant? Have you taken a test? That would be my first suggestion. If it is negative, then go to the doctor and get your hormone levels checked. Have you looked into adrenal fatigue? Are you stressed about something? Cortisol is the stress hormone and it causes weight gain. (Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know.) Or maybe you just need to take more breaks between exercising. Exercise can be a form of stress too, so your body could be in survival mode and hanging onto whatever it can get.
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options
    What are you trying to accomplish? At some point your body will stop cutting fat and stop losing weight. I am sorry but I didn't find where you said your goal was.

sorry, i was down to almost 125ish and since then have slowly (over 8 months) been gaining weight despite all my efforts. today i weighed 139lbs. i want to be at 125 and have all my definition back and my inches back down. Despite all my efforts I just keep gaining.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    what?!?! no you cant stop you are my inspiration!!! even if you are not currently losing you are still in amazing shape and that way better than most!

Agree 100%!!!
  • mrsknotts
    mrsknotts Posts: 115
    Options
    certainly not an expert but I bet it feels good.just to voice your frustration. I think maybe seeing the doctor could really help.
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Don't give up and you look amazing and have done great things already for your body. I'm sure it have its ups and downs just hang in there and know you have your friends that support you
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options
    Could you be pregnant? Have you taken a test? That would be my first suggestion. If it is negative, then go to the doctor and get your hormone levels checked. Have you looked into adrenal fatigue? Are you stressed about something? Cortisol is the stress hormone and it causes weight gain. (Sorry if I'm telling you something you already know.) Or maybe you just need to take more breaks between exercising. Exercise can be a form of stress too, so your body could be in survival mode and hanging onto whatever it can get.

no pregnancy. positive on that one. Getting a blood panel done has been suggested and will most likely be my next step.
  • JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Holly I know your frustrations...I too am up 14 lbs since FRICKING JANUARY...It sucks I get mad I feel fat I wanna cry sometimes. Bu t seriously doll when I took that pic yesterday I had NO IDEA that is what my body looked like...NONE! I know you take pics, but i think your body has been so great for so long possibly you are numb to how gorgous and how killer insane looking you are..( LOVVVVVVVVE your new pic btw...and EVERY single pic you ever post!)

I dont really have much advice because I JUST DONT KNOW. When i hear things about TDEE and BMR my head spins...all I know is that when I used to eat 1200 calories of lean pockets and red vines a day I weighed 120 lbs...now that I eat healthy I weigh 132...your body is a MACHINE. you are a machine...and I meant every single word I told you this morning. I wouldnt be here without you.

I know you wont give up...its not in you to give up...but im glad you got some shiz of your chest.

I love you!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

sorry, i was down to almost 125ish and since then have slowly (over 8 months) been gaining weight despite all my efforts. today i weighed 139lbs. i want to be at 125 and have all my definition back and my inches back down. Despite all my efforts I just keep gaining.

Based on your diary, I would think you are under eating, especially if you are only eating 1700 calories. Two things, if your TDEE is over 2400, then most of the weight has to be water related as you can't gain fat unless you are eating more food than your TDEE. Now if you have some hormonal issues, that could affect it. And since you missed a period, your body might not be responding well to having such low body fat. Also, I have notice, you eat a very low fat diet which is another thing that could affect your cycle. Based on running the numbers you should be around 2100 calories a day and I would suggest eating a lot more fat (around 50g). Keep in mind your body is struggling to hold onto the body fat and wants more as it's the quickest source of energy, so under eating forces your body to find ways to conserve calories.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Im telling you Holly. the period part makes me think I am right and I really don't want to be.

I think it's hormonal. Start eating without a deficit for a month.

Just my 2 cents though.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Chin up, hot stuff! No matter what's going on right now, you are still inspirational to everyone. Bodies are complicated....that's what makes them so cool!

Please have some bloodwork done. All of your symptoms point towards hypothyroidism.....and no matter how right you are doing everything, you need a pill to replace the hormone you are lacking.
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options
    Holly I know your frustrations...I too am up 14 lbs since FRICKING JANUARY...It sucks I get mad I feel fat I wanna cry sometimes. Bu t seriously doll when I took that pic yesterday I had NO IDEA that is what my body looked like...NONE! I know you take pics, but i think your body has been so great for so long possibly you are numb to how gorgous and how killer insane looking you are..( LOVVVVVVVVE your new pic btw...and EVERY single pic you ever post!)

I dont really have much advice because I JUST DONT KNOW. When i hear things about TDEE and BMR my head spins...all I know is that when I used to eat 1200 calories of lean pockets and red vines a day I weighed 120 lbs...now that I eat healthy I weigh 132...your body is a MACHINE. you are a machine...and I meant every single word I told you this morning. I wouldnt be here without you.

I know you wont give up...its not in you to give up...but im glad you got some shiz of your chest.

I love you!
    we's like peas and carrots. love you too girl and thank you SO much. i know im not going to give up but it crosses my mind...a lot just because I dont know what to do. thanks again doll.
  • hadl0032
    hadl0032 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hang in there Holly! As everyone else has said, you look fantastic, and our own eyes never see what everyone does. But....it is more important to FEEL fantastic, so if you feel like crap, I would start with the blood work, and go from there. I dont have insurance but have been thinking about getting all blood work done, basically an all-around physical, including a re-examination of my birth control and other meds.... I want to FEEL my best too, and at many times i dont.

Stop worry about it the weight and inches so much and just live your life, and maybe your stress levels will go down.

PS: I dont ever hear you talk about going, but my Yoga classes are one of my very favorite ways to clear my head. They are relaxing, yet challenge your body in ways that you dont when lifting weights and running...maybe check it out!

xoxo-Stacia
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options

Based on your diary, I would think you are under eating, especially if you are only eating 1700 calories. Two things, if your TDEE is over 2400, then most of the weight has to be water related as you can't gain fat unless you are eating more food than your TDEE. Now if you have some hormonal issues, that could affect it. And since you missed a period, your body might not be responding well to having such low body fat. Also, I have notice, you eat a very low fat diet which is another thing that could affect your cycle. Based on running the numbers you should be around 2100 calories a day and I would suggest eating a lot more fat (around 50g). Keep in mind your body is struggling to hold onto the body fat and wants more as it's the quickest source of energy, so under eating forces your body to find ways to conserve calories.

thank you...i was curious about this but like I mentioned, i have tried everything so I thought, " what the *kitten*, I will try this too." on a side note, I have recently tried to eat more healthy fats ( just started the last couple days).
  • HoLLyZ82
    Options
    Im telling you Holly. the period part makes me think I am right and I really don't want to be.

I think it's hormonal. Start eating without a deficit for a month.

Just my 2 cents though.

I know...do you suggest that eating at maintenance will "fix" the hormones or will I need to do that and bloodwork? or just start with the food? im kinda hungry ;)