Looking for a lunch wrap

Options
nissamorin
nissamorin Posts: 11 Member
I tend to have the same thing for lunch every day at work but I've had the same sandwich for about 6 months now and it's time for a change. My nutritional goals at the moment are lower sodium, more healthy calories at the beginning of the day, and to become a "weekday veg". Ideally I would be able to prepare about 5 servings of the "filling" on Sunday and construct the wrap at work.

I'm thinking some kind of bean/chickpea salad with chopped veggies, whole wheat wrap, and maybe lettuce. But, that is as specific as my knowledge allows so any help is appreciated.

Replies

• jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    How about this black bean burrito(wrap)? They have some other great ideas on this site: http://www.simplebites.net/5-tips-to-create-vegetarian-friendly-meals-black-bean-burritos/

I assume that you are from the UK because you said chickpea vs garbanzo bean, and in the US a bean wrap is considered a burrito (in my humble opinion). I am a yankee living in the UK and missing Mexican food like crazy! This butternut squash and black bean burrito is one of my go-to recipes. You can get canned black beans at waitrose. x
    http://mountainharvestorganic.com/csa/recipes/butternut_squash_and_black_bean_burrito.htm
  • nissamorin
    Options
    Thank you I'll give it a try! I'm actually born and bread US but I'm originally from New England so I make weird word choices sometimes. I always claim it's just a regional thing but I haven't lived there in so long I don't know what is actually regional and what are just strange habits I've picked up. The one I get the most looks from is saying bureau instead of dresser.
  • c3nterstage
    Options
    make up a tofu egg salad with raw tofu, beets, celery, and a little light mayo!
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    google "flatouts"! Yum!!
  • stunningalmond
    stunningalmond Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Turkey, avocado and cranberry mayo! Yum!!

I like to play with my sauces... I love curried mayo, tzatziki, hummus... I usually throw it on my wrap with some chicken or turkey :)
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    hummus, shredded carrots, bean sprouts, and butterleaf lettuce ! ! ! ! Yum!

A wrap is an excellent way to sneak in veggies that you might not want to eat individually. [Yes, sliced radishes & cucumbers I'm talking to you.]
  • nissamorin
    Options
    Thanks so much, so helpful! Looking forward to trying some of these. I'm learning this whole "making good food choices" thing isn't the impossible task I've always thought it was.
  • klakers3
    klakers3 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump for recipes :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    sprouting mung beans seasoned with chilli and lemon juice with blackbeans and a little greek yoghurt...tomatoes, cucumber and of course, a ton more fresh chilli..
  • wurgin
    wurgin Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i love 1/2 avocado 1/2 can tuna in a small tortillia just like that or with green onions and tom, sprouts and peppers.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Surito 97% fat free whole wheat tortilla, Morningstar farms bacon, lettuce, tomato slices, bell pepper strips, any other veggies you have around. YUM!

I also like veggies and hummus in the same tortilla.

Pesto would be a good wrap addition, as well.
  • schwim
    schwim Posts: 65
    Options
    quinoa
    tomatoes
    spring onions
    sundried tomatoes
    feta cheese
    cucumber
    olives

Make the quinoa with one part quinoa and 2 parts boiling water. Put quinoa in boiling water and then turn heat down and to simmer for 20 minutes. chop all the other ingredients in the mean time. Let quinoa cool then mix all the ingredients.

I usually have it as a salad on its own but you can use it as a filling.
  • adastra808
    Options
    One wrap that I like to make that is REALLY different but super yummy (my husbands favorite) is to spread 2 tbsps peanut butter on the wrap, sprinkle with granola, and top with whatever fresh fruit you want. I usually use strawberries, blueberries, and cherries.
  • sting5
    sting5 Posts: 408
    Options
    bump for heathly wraps
  • KatieMarie8526
    Options
    Bump for recipes
  • zumbarock
    zumbarock Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bump for wraps!
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    I really like the Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Tortillas for wraps - healthy and very filling. I fill it up with either goat cheese or hummus, avocado, and all my other favorite veggies. Delicious!
  • jasmine1004
    Options
    I chop up red onion, red peppers, baby carrots, chick peas, celery, avocado, lettuce, cilantro, baby kale, baby spinach, and baby chard, toss it all together; get a 100% whole wheat pita wrap, spread a tablespoon 100% natural peanut butter onto the inside, and add in the mix!
    Wrap it up and enjoy! :)
    It's deeeelicious :)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Pinterest has some awesome ideas and shopping lists. Follow me if you'd like. Same name
  • futurestarz
    futurestarz Posts: 510
    Options
    I chop up avocado, onions (finely), sprinkle some cilantro, add a touch of lime juice and a can of garbanzo beans (Mash it all up into consistency of egg salad). Roll it up in a mission low carb high fiber wrap. Makes the yummiest and most filling wrap imaginable!! My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

The garbanzo beans stay whole for the most part, which gives it a nice texture.