flavoured rice ideas please

Options
timetogetfitter
timetogetfitter Posts: 26 Member
Hi all, i have enjoyed having uncle bens microwave flavoured rice mixed with cucumber, spring onions, tomatoes, peppers, and thought it would be good to do my own rice and was looking for some ideas what i can flavour the rice with, was thinking if i could add a flavour while boiling so that i do not need to stir fry.

Replies

• vipergts223
    vipergts223 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I like to make risotto (aborio rice) a lot. It has endless options. It is usually cooked in stock though, not water, So it isnt as healthy as normal rice
  • jenngarza
    jenngarza Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I found this yummy wild rice that I just cook with chicken stock whenever I crave carbs but I usually try to stay away from from it. Maybe you should look into trying different types of rice
  • littledumplings
    littledumplings Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    milk and sugar ...in the oven :))
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I pop a stock cube in the water whilst boiling the rice, comes out yummah :-))

Then you can add some frozen mixed veg right at the end too
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My husband makes JAG - a portuguese rice.

He makes it in a rice cooked with chicken stock and we use basmati rice.
    In the cooker, he places 2 cups of rice(the cup is what comes with the cooker) 1 oz can of reuced sodium, fat free chicken stock, 1 Tbps of butter, 1 tsp of oil and 1 packet of goya sazon, salt and pepper to taste. He also adds one can of kidney beans to his stock, I forego the beans as I don't like them. I also never ate rice until I tasted his and I eat it just about every day now.. Love it

Whenever he have food feasts at my office they always ask for that :)
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    You can either cook your rice in broth OR add some furikake after it's been cooked. It comes in different flavors and has about 10 calories per tablespoon which is enough to flavor a big bowl of rice :)
    My favorites come from this website: http://www.jlist.com/search/all/furikake I'd recommend staying off the salmon, though. Egg and seaweed is awesome though. And one bag lasts for around 10 or so bowls of rice.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I keep it pretty simple. When I make brown rice, after it's finished cooking I love to add fresh cilantro. You could use whatever you prefer.
  • lorelei105
    lorelei105 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Coconut rice is delicious and adds healthy fats to your diet. Just use coconut milk instead of water. Add some caramelized onions, garlic, and cilantro to make it extra flavorful.
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    chicken broth, garlic power, onions and cilantro...yummy!
  • sums_net
    sums_net Posts: 24
    Options
    You cook in veg stock or chicken stock. Add some italian seasonigs and some steamed vegetables. Top it with some lemon.!
    But did you know if you add more water than necessary for rice, once you see it's almost being done (even if the water is not completely gone), switch it off, strain all the water using a coolander. This will take out the starch. and if you are craving for rice and don'twant toomuch starch thats a way to go..
    Stirfry this rice or cold rice with any sauce, or veggies with it. Basic Onion, ginger garlic with literally anything gives tons of flavor options.
  • RissyLeigh
    Options
    Onion, garlic and your favorite seasoning with a little bit of butter or evoo.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This is a traditional Indian recipe, and can be made with leftover rice.

Heat a little clarified butter aka ghee (you can use whatever oil you choose, this just gives it a really good flavor), and pop in some chopped up cashews, and golden raisins. The raisins will puff up and turn kind of brown. Set aside and drain. In the remaining oil, add some black sesame seeds (these are round, the size of pin heads), some red chili (if you like heat), and a pinch of turmeric. Add rice, the fried cashews and raisins, and salt. When everything is well mixed, turn off the heat, squeeze a little lemon juice (to taste). Garnish with cilantro/lemon wedges/lemon rind.
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    I eat brown rice practically every day and I need to be able to eat it in a hurry. So I make a big batch ahead of time, and then on the day of, reheat my portion in the microwave, stir in 1/2 tbsp coconut oil and a few dashes of onion powder and red pepper flakes (to taste) I also put in a sprinkle of sea salt. MMmmm! Its my favorite way to eat rice! And so simple too!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Any soup recipe that would taste good with rice in it, will taste good as a rice dish.

So 1/4 cup of brown rice with a tablespoon of salsa, 2 tablespoons of shredded cheddar, some shredded chicken, 1/4 cup of black beans, 1/4 up of corn.

Or take some canned whole tomatoes & stick them under the broiler. Then chop them up and mix into a cup of rice along with some white beans and 1/2 cup of wilted spinach.