Looking for a good lower-body strength training workout.

Options
rmhand
rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
I'm trying to work more weights into my routine but I'm feeling unmotivated. Any one got a killer lower-body routing they would like to share? Machines and bodyweight moves are both fine.

Thanks!

Replies

• Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for something different from squats/lunges/deadlifts etc.?

Maybe something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Exhale-Core-Fusion-Thighs-Glutes/dp/B0021R52IA/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_c
  • rmhand
    Options
    I know lots of exercises its just the motivation to do them. I suppose I can just pick one and do it until it hurts, lol. Then move on to the next one. I'm thinking I'll do some squats and lunges on the Buso ball. I can always feel that one the next day.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Why not just do weighted squats?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is much more effective to do lower reps higher weight using a barbell and the ground, not a bosu ball for squats lunges and deadlifts. the results will surprise you
  • katiele89
    Options
    Sorry to butt in but maybe someone can help me answer this.. how do i track calories burned after entering strength training workouts? Any help is appreciated!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Sorry to butt in but maybe someone can help me answer this.. how do i track calories burned after entering strength training workouts? Any help is appreciated!

Go to the cardio section and type in "strength training". the strength training section is for tracking progress, not calories.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options

Look for it under cardio.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats, heavy deadlifts. There are no exercises better for your lower body.
  • rmhand
    Options
    Why not just do weighted squats?

Thanks. I guess I needed the simple direct approach with this one. No fluffy stuff to make it fun. lol
  • CharityMiskelly
    Options
    Do BodyPump at your local gym. That fitness class will really shape up your whole body, and your legs will see serious results. Amazing class. It makes you work much harder than you would on your own lifting weights.
  • rmhand
    Options
    It is much more effective to do lower reps higher weight using a barbell and the ground, not a bosu ball for squats lunges and deadlifts. the results will surprise you

Thanks. I'm familiar with the bosu from some exercises I do to help the bursitis in my hip. I guess for basic strength training it is not necessary.
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The lower body workouts I do are DVDs by Cathe Friedrich. She has some killer lower body workouts. They're all advanced, gym-quality workouts. Her site is:

www.cathe.com
  • rmhand
    Options
    Do BodyPump at your local gym. That fitness class will really shape up your whole body, and your legs will see serious results. Amazing class. It makes you work much harder than you would on your own lifting weights.

I love the Les Mills classes! I was addicted to BodyStep. The BodyPump was soooo full I never to a chance to do it at my old gym, and no Les Mills gyms in the area now.
  • rmhand
    Options
    I'm really getting some great feed back! Thanks for the suggestions and motivation to do something new.
  • rmhand
    Options

Me likey! I will have to continue to check this out.
  • Sarareneephoto
    Sarareneephoto Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Me likey! I will have to continue to check this out.

It's amazing. Women shouldn't be afrait to lift heavy. Every girl I see that lifts heavy look fit!! There are those women who look scary buff and that's because they eat like soooooooo much and take in like 4x their recomended daily protein intake.. And they are lifting champs type of women.

Eat your body weight in grams of protein and you should be good by building muscle, and muscle burns fat. So it's a WIN WIN :)
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I know it isnt what you are looking for, but I have built some serious muscles in my legs doing Insanity.
  • supremeck
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts. Compound exercises . Gets your metabolism running and youll workout multiple multiple muscles at a time
  • TRHuston
    TRHuston Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I found a class that is a fusion of yoga, pilates and barre (ballet) work. I was in ballet for about 12 years and had a killer lower half. It took me back and made me appreciate how hard some of those exercises are. I would recommend that if you could find one near you.