trricep dips- help needed

Options
viclee1
viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
I'm doing Jamie Eason't live fit program, having trouple with the tricep dips, seen tutorials, thought my form was good, but it hurts my right shoulder. No history of previous injury to it. Any advice?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    That's an excercise that can definiately cause some shoulder discomfort.
    Without seeing you do them, it's hard to tell when the issue is.
    Maybe speak with a trainer at the gym?

But if they continue to hurt, I'd replace them.
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I can't do those at all the way they demonstrate that exercise on BB.com; try them with your feet on the floor. Watch this YouTube video -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0326dy_-CzM&noredirect=1. This shows some different levels for this exercise.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on if you are using a bench for your hands and feet, just your hands with your feet on the ground, or if you are using the bars for them.

I agree that you as a trainer at the gym to watch you and see what you are doing. That way they can help out if needed. Your body just may not like them... Mine didn't like how my wrists were when I did the dips!?
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've stopped doing them, as it was causing significant shoulder pain. I replaced them with Diamond Press Ups, triceps targeted without any shoulder pain :)

Russ
  • LouisCyphre
    Options
    What kind of dips are you doing? A rack? A machine? Bench? I have the same problem and found it usually occurs when I'm fatigued and losing form. I would recommend you try out some variants (e.g. different grips, different positions, less 'weight', different type, etc) on a fresh day (when you haven't worked out yet) to see if there's one that works better for you.
  • linbee83
    linbee83 Posts: 144
    Options
    We have the dip machine at our gym. Since I am unable to do the dips with my own weight, this is a life saver! And no shoulder discomfort!
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This may also be a mobility, or lack there of, issue. I used to get very sore in the shoulders, but doesn't seem to affect me anymore. I will start my dip exercises just holding on to the bars and leaning forward with my feet on the ground, feeling the stretch in my shoulders and tri's. There are so many factors, hard to know where to start looking for cause. Dips are also very shoulder intensive too, so there is the possibility of not enough shoulder strength.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the responses, I'm just using my body weight, feet on the floor, hands on the bench. Doesn't seem to matter when in my routine I do it.
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    if it causes pain.. i would stop.. or at least till you can have someone really look into your form....

if you continue.. just make sure you warm up your shoulders before doing them...
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    there are pleanty of machines that simulate dips... do those until u have built enough strength to support your body weight.. and dont forget to do deltoid exercises including rotater cuff work.