Why are kids obese??

Options
DietingMommy08
DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
I seen this on facebook and really just had to show it. :o)

3262012201116tumblrm1dd.jpg

Replies

• MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Cooking at home is cheaper than both of those options. Just sayin'.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options

Very true but there are sometimes very busy parents out there that dont always have the time to cook.

Or in my cuzns case... shes a single mom that DONT know how to cook...

Except for throwing stuff in the microwave or oven.

Poor kids. "/
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options

Very true but there are sometimes very busy parents out there that dont always have the time to cook.

Or in my cuzns case... shes a single mom that DONT know how to cook...

Except for throwing stuff in the microwave or oven.

Poor kids. "/

The beauty of cooking is that it is pretty darn easy to learn how to cook.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's because of all the video games, tv's, iPads, computers etc. that kids sit in front of now days. Get your *kitten* outside and run around, ride a bike just MOVE.

When I was a kid you would never find me plopped in front of the television for hours at a time playing video games. That's not to say I didn't play them, I did. Just in moderation. 99.9% of the time -- summer or winter -- you would find me outside running around and playing.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Because parents just dong give a flying rats *kitten* these days.
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I babysit a 7 year old girl that is 80 pounds. As a reference, I also babysit her 9 year old brother who is 71 pounds... I've been walking my daughter, niece and nephew home from school to get exercise in for them and myself. When I first started babysitting the 7 and 9 year olds, their mom didn't want them to walk home. The VERY first thing I thought was that poor little girl definitely needs the exercise.

She eventually warmed up to the idea of letting them walk, but jeez...
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Beat a kid..you do time :glasses:

feed it crap....your a great parent for taking them to Mc****zzzz :noway:

seriously..I've seen kids who should be taken into care because of the state their PARENTS have put them in....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Trutra
    Trutra Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I once nursed a 7 year old child who was 67kg I think that is about 130lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!
    She was admitted because the doctor thought there must be something wrong -turned out there was nothing wrong apart from pre-diabetes, caused by her weight..
    She stayed for about 5 days getting the dietician etc in to see her. The father used to bring KFC in to her every afternoon because it was her favourite and he felt sorry for her being in hospital. We used to moan at him each day and the next day he would be back bearing KFC!
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    I'd say it's because of all the video games, tv's, iPads, computers etc. that kids sit in front of now days. Get your *kitten* outside and run around, ride a bike just MOVE.

When I was a kid you would never find me plopped in front of the television for hours at a time playing video games. That's not to say I didn't play them, I did. Just in moderation. 99.9% of the time -- summer or winter -- you would find me outside running around and playing.

I agree.

Plus my mom use to make us go play outside. Lol.
  • DietingMommy08
    Options
    I babysit a 7 year old girl that is 80 pounds. As a reference, I also babysit her 9 year old brother who is 71 pounds... I've been walking my daughter, niece and nephew home from school to get exercise in for them and myself. When I first started babysitting the 7 and 9 year olds, their mom didn't want them to walk home. The VERY first thing I thought was that poor little girl definitely needs the exercise.

She eventually warmed up to the idea of letting them walk, but jeez...

My son is only 3.5 and he weighs anywhere between 40-45lbs depending on the day.

But hes also 3'6.

At least your got her mother to allow you to let them walk, most parents dont take critisism well so you can only do so much.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    Kids eat what their parents feed them. I guarantee that 90% of the time, the obese child has obese parents.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    For the most part, my kids eat pretty good. I have a friend with two kids, and she HATES to cook. I just don't understand people like that. I really have a hard time wrapping my head around it. But, my kids spent the night over there. The next day I picked them up, and asked them what they ate. Pizza for dinner and donuts for breakfast. I just laughed, because that's so her. But, really, it's lazy-*kitten* BS. What's so hard about mixing up a thing of scrrambled eggs? I really don't get it. It seems to me that it's more hassle to drive to the donut shop than it is to mix up some eggs.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options

on point... Back in the days when kids got in trouble they couldnt play outside... Now when kids get in trouble their told to play outside... lol
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    Id start with the parents, so may adults r obese, the kids dont stand a chance. Add in that so many parents cant say no to their kid, and they eat and do what they want. Blaming the technolgy is just an excuse for parents, i had all of that as a kid and played sports. Sure there is a lot more to destract them inside, but as a parent u need to regulate that. Make them go out and sweat, my son will be able to play games, but he will also be involved in sports and other physical activities.
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You don't have to cook salads!
  • dreawest
    dreawest Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with my weight. So I am very aware of my kid's relationship with food/play/tv. I do not deny my kids candy or the occasional thing of fries but it is not their norm (and before I decided to take control of my eating I was careful about it in front of the kids). My kids fight over asparagus, love beans and meat, eat their salads, ect. Not because I force them but because they mimic their parents and we always verbalize how much we love the healthy food. As for play, when the weather is nice my kids would rather live outdoors, sleep included. Even in the winter I am careful that they play physical games for exercise. And they love tv of course BUT kids would rather play with a parent than watch a show. I consider it a break when I put the TV on if I am washing dishes and don't want their 'help', too much TV and I consider myself a distant/uninvolved/boring parent.
  • Lovinglife12
    Options
    I think it's a number of things. All the electronics, tv, and imo, the parents especially. I have two little ones and from the beginning have been very careful with what I feed them. I have them in activities and take them to the park, walking etc. Of course, my barely 3 yr old LOVES playing with my kindle and they love movies but all in moderation. I could let them sit there all day but I don't. My daughter wanted a snack the other day and asked me for oatmeal. I wish my parents would have taught me better habits. But, I agree, kids no longer play the fun games we used to outside, hopscotch and jump rope?? Whaat?!
  • DenverKos
    DenverKos Posts: 182
    Options

on point... Back in the days when kids got in trouble they couldnt play outside... Now when kids get in trouble their told to play outside... lol

Exactly! Anymore you hear people telling their kids to be quite and go upstairs and play video games. We rode our bikes to school when I was a kid, ran around outside playing hide and seek or riding horses or skateboards with all the other neighborhood kids. My folks only allowed us to watch one hour of TV a day, and we also had physical education in school. Outside of those kids who play sports, I see very few children doing anything physically active.

I think part of it is the media, too, and a lot of parents are so terrified that their kids are going to get kidnapped or something that they don't let them walk or ride bikes to school, or go to the park and play. We ran the streets and the parks all day long and I grew up in Southern California, not the midwest. I don't believe these crimes are more prevalent than they were 30 years ago, just more publicized on the news.

Couple inactivity with fast food or microwave meals and you have the perfect storm for an obese generation. Today's kids are the first generation that they believe will NOT outlive their parents.
  • tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that my 4 yr old daughter prefers fruit and veggies to just about anything except chips. Even then she doesn't get but 4-5. She eats healthier than I do. Kids will eat what is offered to them and learn to love it. She loves lima beans and brocolli and peas. Most of which she eats frozen. Do I care if it is heated??? Nope, as long as she is eating veggies. You don't have to cook fresh veggies or fruit.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If parents would parent and give a damn, then the kids would be healthier. There is time to make a salad or grill a chicken breast. It takes just as much time to stop and go through the drive thru and bring it home. They don't do it because they do not WANT to do it. Get the kids involved in meal planning and cooking if they are old enough!

I also will not blame video games and the like all on their own. Again, if parents would push going outside and play, then the kids would. They don't HAVE to sit in front of the video game all day... but that doesn't mean they should never be allowed to play them either. It's about finding a balance and that is the job of the PARENT.

Why are kids obese? Because they are being made that way...