How do you track resturant food...

k8blujay2
k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
...that doesn't provide nutritional info of any kind?

We have some family in town and of course they want to go to this crazy unhealthy place... and I was looking for nutritional info so I can plan before going... but alas, they don't... and it's the second place I have been to that doesn't post nutritional info... and their reasoning being is because "they strive to provide the best quality of food with the best quality of ingredients"... or some such like that... :indifferent:

Replies

• joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    I just ask questions when I'm there (find out if it's boiled, fried, sauteed, in butter, oil, etc), and try to log the individual ingredients (look at your plate and itemize what you've got on it...4oz chicken, 2 slices bread, 2 cups of salad...). Generally, I aim to overestimate the serving size slightly, and therefore the calories consumed, as there are always things that seem to get added in the kitchen of which you have no idea. Guesstimate your best (and if you can log it in your phone or write it down then and there, it's easier to remember later), and aim to get in some extra activity BEFORE you head out. Even a half hour walk can help. And if you can squeeze one in later, that's great too. In fact, ask your family to join you for an after supper walk...why not help them be healthy too?!?
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    I just pick out something from here that sounds about right and hope for the best. It's only one meal, it won't make that much of an impact overall :-))
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Order something that you already know is healthy - broiled, baked, grilled not fried. Eat sensible portions and stop eating when you're full. We've all had to wing sometimes. Let commonsense be your guide.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I look for similar items from other restaurants. If it seems low, I add in several hundred "quick calories" and make a note in my log that I guessed on the restaurant meal and added extra calories. Asking questions about how it is cooked is also a good idea. Keep calories low by asking to substitute steamed vegetables instead of a side. Ask for sauces or dressings or mayo or whatever on the side and use it sparingly.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    I just assume it's 2,000 calories per meal
  • jennis82
    jennis82 Posts: 76
    I've actually found some resturants nutrition on line:) Google is great:)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    I already looked up nutritional info for the resturant I'm going to in the search engine... :wink:

And the crummy thing about this place is everything is fried... except their pot roast (I'm assuming) and is family style dining for sides.

At least they have a veggies only option.... even though I'm sure it's going to smothered in butter... :ohwell:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I already looked up nutritional info for the resturant I'm going to in the search engine... :wink:

And the crummy thing about this place is everything is fried... except their pot roast (I'm assuming) and is family style dining for sides.

At least they have a veggies only option.... even though I'm sure it's going to smothered in butter... :ohwell:

Hmmmm.....just go and enjoy then!!! Work out extra hard before and after!
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Any restaurant that doesn't have any info are the ones I save for cheat days. If it's something small, like an egg roll, I try to look in the database to what I think would be closest to it.
  • lfholland
    lfholland Posts: 37 Member
    I run into this problem too. I don't go to chain restaurants unless I am forced to and most local establishments don't have nutritional information available. You really just have to guess on most of it. I always assume they use about twice as much butter, oil and salt as I think they do. Drink as much water as you can, get in a little extra exercise, and order smartly.

Don't get discouraged about it though. I have lost weight nearly every week since I started and I have eaten out just about every weekend for at least one meal.
  • joannezuk
    joannezuk Posts: 153 Member
    Sometimes, it does just suck. Every once in a while, my family decides they want Chinese. Not stirfries and veggies...oh no...it's all about the battered deep fried caloric monstrosities. I've given up trying to protest. I just try to control myself....I pick the fried coating off, and leave it in a pile on my plate, pick out all the veggies and fruits that make up the sauces, and enjoy it for what it's worth - time with my family. In the end, you can simply be thankful that you don't eat that way regularly.

Since they probably have a grill (you know, for making fried eggs, etc), you could politely ask if you could have a chicken breast grilled. Also, I've often had luck ordering soup and an appetizer as my main course. Or just a bowl of soup and a salad perhaps?

Or, just pick something that might actually taste good and enjoy it. It's one meal, after all. After you've weighed in next week, this meal won't even cross your mind.

You don't seem like you're looking forward to it, which is a good thing. If you were, if you felt you couldn't control yourself because you love those foods and you are craving them constantly, then I'd be concerned. In the grand scheme, this meal is inconsequential now that you're living healthy!
  • claymic
    claymic Posts: 34 Member
    i have been thinking about this as i am out for a meal tomorrow. It is an italian place so lots of pizza and pasta but as i have to limit my carbs, i will try and stick to asparug for starters, chicken for main and no pudding :( not sure how to log it but i ll try to not eat much during tomorrow...
  • Check out calorieking.com. It lists nurtritional values for a lot of national restaurants. You can even get their small book. I keep it in the car
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    ...that doesn't provide nutritional info of any kind?

We have some family in town and of course they want to go to this crazy unhealthy place... and I was looking for nutritional info so I can plan before going... but alas, they don't... and it's the second place I have been to that doesn't post nutritional info... and their reasoning being is because "they strive to provide the best quality of food with the best quality of ingredients"... or some such like that... :indifferent:

Eat before you go, and have a beverage or even a side salad while at the restaurant.
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Order simple items, even ones that aren't listed on the menu. Most restaurants can accommodate a side of steamed vegetables with no butter, a plain baked potato and a plain grilled chicken breast. With some practice you can easily figure out what a cup of veggies looks like or a medium baked potato is without needing a scale. And of course, all of those simple items are in the MFP database.

Never be afraid to make special requests! I guarantee if you walked back into that kitchen you could fill up an entire plate of healthy stuff, so go ahead and ask them to do it for you. I worked as a server for many years and I would regularly fetch off menu items for people that requested them. If i didn't know how to ring it up I would just ask the manager.

If you get funny looks or resistance explain that you have a medical condition (mine is known as "wicked fat" lol). If you feel awkward about being a "problem" customer just make sure you act with courtesy towards your server and if you still feel bad about it then leave a little extra in your tip. It's your money and they want it, so YOU should be able get what you need. Good luck!
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    I'd try to order something small or an app or soup for your dinner. And water water water!! I usually can find something similar to what I eat on MFP, so try that, too. But like others have said, just enjoy it, it's not going to blow you out of the water this one time. :)
  • DB_1106
    DB_1106 Posts: 154 Member
    If you have an itouch or iphone, there is a cool app that lists all the major restaurants in the United States with menu and calories. Just do a search for restaurant calories in the apps store.