have I entered "starvation mode"?

Options
Hi all,
I've been having pretty good success these last two months here in MFP, I'm now down 31.5 lbs and I'm feeling great. Well, that is until I try to pick it up during my workouts, I then start to get a little light-headed. It immediately goes away when I slow down and stop. I know I'm eating well and getting all my nutrients so I doubt its nutrition related. I don't really suffer from hunger pangs, I do eat my workout calories. I have kept my weightloss to about two lbs per week for these last four weeks; its not like I've crash-dieted and dropped ten lbs in five days or whatnot.
So my question is, have I entered starvation mode despite my two lbs per week plan? Has anybody else lost a good chunk of weight the proper way and still ended up in starvation mode?

Replies

• AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    #1 - There is no such thing as starvation mode. If you are losing weight then that wouldn't be the definition of starvation mode anyway. Starvation Mode is not losing weight despite being in a huge caloric deficit. Did I mention that starvation mode is a myth?

#2 - If you are losing 2 pounds a week, then calories seem to be right where they need to be. (1-2 pounds a week is optimal)

#3 - If you are dizzy during workouts, eating an hour or so before working out could give you some extra energy. I don't like working out on an empty stomach.

#4 - Have your blood pressure checked, could be an underlying medical issue.
  • skydivelife
    skydivelife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hey Scottsephens,

Starvation mode isn't a myth, most people just define it wrong. For instance, if you don't get enough magnesium, your body can "starve" for it and your insulin receptors won't work right so you'll hold on to fat.

If you're not getting enough protein for your workouts, your body will "starve" and sacrifice amino acids from your muscle post-workout.

If you take heavy antibiotics and your gut flora are off, food won't digest and absorb properly so you'll "starve".

I'm Training people now who have ALL been in these situations and unable to lose weight until we stopped them from "starving"

Most likely, your baroreceptors (pressure receptors) in your neck are getting overloaded and making your blood vessels open up. Combine that with your newly lower blood pressure (WOOHOO 32 POUNDS!!! )

Slam water and put some Celtic sea salt in it and you should be good. But like Avs said, wouldn't hurt to get a stress test for your heart.

Check out my blog for more!
    wellfitlife.wordpress.com
  • bhardy516
    bhardy516 Posts: 22
    Options
    #1 - There is no such thing as starvation mode. If you are losing weight then that wouldn't be the definition of starvation mode anyway. Starvation Mode is not losing weight despite being in a huge caloric deficit. Did I mention that starvation mode is a myth?

#2 - If you are losing 2 pounds a week, then calories seem to be right where they need to be. (1-2 pounds a week is optimal)

#3 - If you are dizzy during workouts, eating an hour or so before working out could give you some extra energy. I don't like working out on an empty stomach.

I would definitely keep track of your Blood Pressure; and your Blood Sugar; before and after your workouts.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

^^ This.
  • mommy7
    mommy7 Posts: 153
    Options
    Are you getting enough rest??
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You don't have enough fuel for a good hard workout, that's why you're dizzy. You need both sufficient water and sufficient calories to fuel a workout. Try eating closer to workout time, and down 16 ounces of water before you start. It also could be your blood pressure dropping.

If you're still losing weight, you're not likely in "starvation mode". Usually people have their weight loss stalled when this happens. It's less starvation, more conservation. Your body is very good at adapting to new situations. When you put a stress in one direction it will push back. If you eat too little, your body will hold onto every calorie for as long as possible, stalling your weight loss. This is the so-called starvation mode.

Congrats on the losses! Make sure you're healthy and push ahead!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    sure you are drinking enough water?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Two pounds a week is what's ideal for those with more than 75 pounds to lose. While you will surely continue to lose with a 1000 calorie a day deficit, it's not optimal for your particular situation. You'd be better off at one pound a week for now, then a half pound a week as you get within 10-15 pounds of your goal.
  • LauraJWStevenson
    LauraJWStevenson Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Term may be wrong...but it is a fact. Like it or Not. Any trainer will tell you that. AND I see one did. You will lose the lean if you don't get the right amount of protein. I worked out HARD didn't eat what I should have been. I was in eating less mode. Never lost weight...changed up my plan...worked out a little less...cardio...more weights...ate more proteins...and DA DA!! the weight started coming off. You just have to find the right combo for your body. I was losing my lean and not the fat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    While 2 lbs weekly goal may have been appropriate at start, with 31lbs off, is may be too much now, making your daily goal too low.

Remember, just because you change a figure on the screen from 2 to 1 does not mean you are only allowed to lose 1 lb weekly.

You'll probably still lose 2 or 1.5 lbs weekly.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I agree..I would check your blood presure. I basically had the same thing except mine was not only when I workde out. I was taking Linsopril (sp) for blood pressure when I was overweight and when I started losing weight my BP dropped. So I weened myself off the drug and all was fine.
  • scottstephens79
    scottstephens79 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all.
    I could stand to drink more water I guess. I haven't had my BP measured since I started; I'll make it a point to get it checked soon. I normally do workout first thing in the morning, trying to force myself to burn fat and then eat 500-700 calories immediately after for breakfast. (My meals are accurate but I don't eat my foods in the order listed, I just find it easier to do my food in the way it is setup.) Today I downed my protein shake beforehand. I'm now 203 lbs and 5'11" so I am getting within 20lbs of my goal (180), I guess I'll drop my plan to one pound per week.
    Anybody else have an idea/opinion we may have missed?
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had similar episodes during the latter stages of my diet. I remember almost blacking out at the gym a few times after an exercise. Shortly thereafter I normalized my caloric intake to a maintenance level. The problem went away a few weeks later.