Any one have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Options
I have a friend with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, and that makes it really hard to lose weight. they need tips on women struggling with this. What is the best kind of workouts to do? Most effective diets? Her ObGyn mentioned a low carb high protein diet but they have heard those kind of diets can lead to other diseases. Thanks for your help

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I suggest your friend join MFP and the groups I shared above for a support system and suggestions on healthy weight loss methods. Also have her do some research on low glycemic eating.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, I actually am going to see my endocrinologist in a couple weeks to have a follow-up to see if I still have it. It is comman be 'cured' per say of PCOS by weight loss. This is not always true but does work for some women. Since I have lost 59lbs I do want to check and see how I am doing.

My suggestions...(not a health care provider but my own personal experience)
    First she needs to be treated for PCOS. Metformin is what I used, you can also get birth control to treat it
    Second get on a good eating plan and STICK to it! I do use the high protein and low carb. It has done wonders for me. I have great energy and great weight loss.
    Thirdly is there is a chance once losing a good amount of weight she could get rid of PCOS.

I highly suggest dieticians for the first few months of starting something new because they are vital for helping you keep on track and make the right choices. I wish the best of luck:)
  • bekahlivinglife
    Options
    I have PCOS but never really had a problem with weight gain until this last year when I stopped taking my birth control for a while. I went up 20 lb in no time and now I'm having all kinds of problems losing it.
  • teamflatbelly
    teamflatbelly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much I will pass this message on
  • TynkEMT
    TynkEMT Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I as diagnosed with PCOS when I was 16 years old and have struggled with my weight almost my entire life. This is the first "program" that I have found that has helped. There is support here and friends - AND NOT ONE OF THEM JUDGE YOU for any reason. As far as foods go....I have continued to eat the foods I want to eat just cut my portions and made wise decisions. Following the calorie guide that MFP sets up for me has been the great motivator for me - and lots and lots of Cardio!!!!
  • AlinaRoberts721
    AlinaRoberts721 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. My ob/gyn just put me on 1000mg of Metformin. I have been on it for about a month and a half, I did lose 4lbs so far. But the reason I have not lose anymore weight is because I have not been as serious about my eating habits as I have been the past few weeks, and I have felt a little bit better.
  • bugaboo2503
    bugaboo2503 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also!!! I have struggled with loosing weight my whole life and getting pregnant was EXTREMLY hard. Like 8 years of trying!!! I have found this website to be most beneficial for me with the weight loss. With PCOS loosing excess weight is the best for dealing with it. I was put on Metformin and I stopped taking it because I wanted to try and "fix" my self by myself!! I did it on WW and lost 70 pounds over the course of a year and a half and then finally got pregnant. You REALLY have to be serious about your calories and this can stopped your hormones and get them going in the right direction. I am really in tune with my body because I have had this since basically my periods started. I know when I don't ovulate, I know when I need to start loosing weight cause my menstral cycle will go outta wack. It's crazy how adding 10 pounds can screw up your hormones but with PCOS it does!! Feel free to add me as a friend for her or anyone else who has this problem, there are many of us out there!!
  • AloveYourself
    Options
    I have PCOS.

At my highest i was close to 200lbs and only menstruated once in a year.
    i am currently 161lbs. This is after ONE year of changing very little in my actual life, portion control and walking daily.

I have had 6 miscarriages since 2004, including one where i was 5 months with twins. I have also had ectopic pregnancies etc... all as a result of this underacknowledged disease.

I am not bitter, i have gotten over the depression, i have started to embrace life again, and am actively pursuing MY LIFE!!

PCOS is a very "treatable" disease, and with diet, exercise, patience, and a little effort the weight will come off.
    At my last ultrasound the gyno was very happy, and said that my ovaries where behaving like a 'normal womans' and there where healthy follicle growth... compare that to when i was diagnosed and the gyno was like-- "wow 37, 38, 39, 40, yeah i am not even going to keep counting all of them"

There is hope. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and we all can survive so much more than we think we are able to.