sugar limits that MFP set for me

So I'm a 6 foot male that carries 20 extra pounds (18-20% BF or so...) and does very demanding workouts 6 days a week. I just started diet and exercise about 10 days ago and have been very consistent with MFP calorie intake and also consistent with my workouts everyday. If I meet my calorie goal for the day, but too many of the calories are composed of sugar...fat loss may be negated or stunted, right? With that said...are the sugar limits that MFP sets optimum for fat loss? Thoughts??

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I don't know the basis for setting a "sugar" limit.

I do know that bread and pasta act the same as sugar in terms of putting glucose in your bloodstream, so I would be more concerned about carbs in total than sugar in particular. You can turn it off ;-)
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    I don't know the basis for setting a "sugar" limit.

I do know that bread and pasta act the same as sugar in terms of putting glucose in your bloodstream, so I would be more concerned about carbs in total than sugar in particular. You can turn it off ;-)

Ok that makes more sense. I'm very weary about the fat/carb/prot breakdown that MFP has for me though.

Your Daily Goal 1,860 carb 256 fat 62 protein 70..... for a very active person the carb count seems way too high and the protein level too low.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    I think it reflects the USDA "Standard American Diet" or something like that. The food pyramid that they got upside down.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    You can change it, I didn't like how low it had my protein and changed the settings for that
  • Michkair
    Michkair Posts: 1 Member
    I am a runner and find the suggested carb/fat/protein ratios work great for me (~20 miles/ wk + 2 days strength training). I have a lot of trouble staying below the daily sugar limit though (ok, I fail). But since my sugars aren't usually refined, I've only worried about it a bit (enough to search the forum). My morning homemade smoothie usually puts me over my limit even before my morning run! As a fairly light female (117 lb), my goal sugar intake is 29 g/ day. So I feel you on the sugar intake, but I would try out the carb/fat/protein ratios and see how they work for you!
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    You can change it, I didn't like how low it had my protein and changed the settings for that

Oh...how can you change that? I thought I looked through all of the food settings and I didn't see where.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member

Oh...how can you change that? I thought I looked through all of the food settings and I didn't see where.

Click My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom
  • Barbellsandthimbles
    Barbellsandthimbles Posts: 205 Member
    [/quote]

Click My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom
    [/quote]

Score! Thanks so much.
  • cimonroe
    cimonroe Posts: 36
    Cool thanks! I think my body is still in shock mode, so I've actually gained a couple pounds in the last week....with a new intense exercise program I read thats typical...the calorie amounts are within good limits but I feel like I'm eating the wrong food. Just a worry I guess.