Over/underestimating calories

Options
I know "they" say that most people grossly underestimate the number of calories they take in, which I completely agree with. My question is, as a rule, if you are trying to track something on MFP that is not entered onto this site, do you find yourself choosing the option that is probably greater than the calories you consumed, or less than?

For me personally, I've been choosing the greater option. I figure I'd rather overestimate and have a few hundred calorie deficit built in, than underestimate and think I'm doing better for the day that I really am.

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I usually go with the middle ground option or if one caloric number is used more often for a certain food I go with it. If I'm totally at a loss I'll aim for the higher end...never the lower.
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I usually go with the middle ground option or if one caloric number is used more often for a certain food I go with it. If I'm totally at a loss I'll aim for the higher end...never the lower.

This is what I do. Or I go for the one with the most people contributing to it.
  • HanPatty
    HanPatty Posts: 21
    Options
    I pick the highest option so I'm not going over.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I google.

I don't want to be too far under either, so I don't want to pick something that seems ridiculous.
  • kimimila86
    kimimila86 Posts: 424
    Options
    I'm experiencing the other side of this story right now... I've been grossly OVERestimating my calorie intake because I don't usually have a clue to the calorie content of what I'm eating. I've felt so sluggish and sleepy this week... I'm going to buy a food scale this weekend because I can't continue on overestimating what I'm eating. Weird, eh?
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I know "they" say that most people grossly underestimate the number of calories they take in, which I completely agree with. My question is, as a rule, if you are trying to track something on MFP that is not entered onto this site, do you find yourself choosing the option that is probably greater than the calories you consumed, or less than?

For me personally, I've been choosing the greater option. I figure I'd rather overestimate and have a few hundred calorie deficit built in, than underestimate and think I'm doing better for the day that I really am.

I go with what suits so I can eat more lol no just jokes. I choose the greater option, just to make sure.
  • CShepherd91
    Options
    I weigh pretty much every thing that I eat, so I'm 95% sure that I'm fairly accurate in my daily calorie intake... within a 10% lee-way either side. Providing that the information available here on MFP is quite accurate too :)
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I refuse to obsess about such things, and I pick whatever makes the most sense to me, based on what I've eaten before. I tend to eat a lot of the same foods, so it's not that difficult.

How much can it be? We're not talking hundreds of calories in most cases, so the ups and downs are not that critical.

This is a journey, and there are no absolutes, for me.
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    I google.

I don't want to be too far under either, so I don't want to pick something that seems ridiculous.

This is what I do. I want to get it as close to right as possible
  • pat6250
    pat6250 Posts: 90
    Options
    If the amount on MFP seems ridiculous, then I check my calorie reference book that I have. Then I enter he food as a quick add calories. Most of the MFP counts seem accurate, but a few have been off. When I am at home, I have several sets of measuring cups and a scale that I use, but if I am out, I have to guess-timate portion sizes. I try to be accurate, but I know if I underestimate too much, I won't be losing weight.
  • giselle9938
    giselle9938 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I google.

this!
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If it's not in the database I enter the information from the packaging (or scan the barcode). If, for instance we have homemade pizza I just enter all of the ingredients individually. Seems to be pretty accurate so far for me!

...but I on the other hand have nothing better to do with my time... :bigsmile:
  • Jhuff4
    Jhuff4 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    my goal is to have your thoughts about things. I tend to over process. And I have along road ahead of me.
  • Starsighter78
    Starsighter78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I google.

This is what I do. I want to get it as close to right as possible

I google everything as well. I guess my question was more directed about restaurant foods that don't have accessible nutritional content. We just went out to lunch at a newer restaurant (not a chain) that doesn't have nutritional information. For "bbq chicken flatbread" I found ranges from 200-650. SInce it's restaurant made and I'm not weighing the ingredients, I'm assuming it would be on the higher end.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I just use google & enter it myself if its that much off from what is already there.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I find something it isn't listed on MFP I either (in lazy mood) pick something similar and adjust the portion size eg the rice crackers I ate earlier had higher calories than the brands already on MFP so I multipled the prtions until the calories consumed you were right. Or in more committed mood I take the time to enter the food and all its details on the database.

I get annoyed if people enter a new food on the database but only bother to list the calories and not the nutritional information; I think it's bad manners. I'm not trying to track sodium, but a lot of people are, and I AM tracking fibre, calcium, and protein. I can log all my food for the day and then think "hang on something doesn't look right!" and spend ages googling and editing the database, just when I thought I was done for the day... minor I know, but irritating all the same.
  • mississippi_queen
    mississippi_queen Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    If it's not in the database I enter the information from the packaging (or scan the barcode). If, for instance we have homemade pizza I just enter all of the ingredients individually. Seems to be pretty accurate so far for me!

...but I on the other hand have nothing better to do with my time... :bigsmile:

I do this too!
  • ShaunaLaNee
    ShaunaLaNee Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything, normally in advance for the week. I don't want any surprises, if I don't know I don't eat it. I'm not good at guessing:) I'm working way to hard for a extra calories to sneak in and sabotage my work.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    That's a big range! You might be able to eat a better idea from the actual restaurant and the kind of things they offer (if it's mostly high fat processed, or if there are lots of lighter options) and if you know where you are going you could always phone ahead to try to gauge it, but if in doubt I would go at the higher end or maybe pick something where the calories might be a bit more predictable.
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I refuse to obsess about such things, and I pick whatever makes the most sense to me, based on what I've eaten before. I tend to eat a lot of the same foods, so it's not that difficult.

How much can it be? We're not talking hundreds of calories in most cases, so the ups and downs are not that critical.

This is a journey, and there are no absolutes, for me.

Same here!