Bloody nipples.....(it's a guy thing)

Options
For some people black toenails are the sign that they've finally hit the big leagues in terms of mileage, for a lot of guy it's bloody nipples. (sorry - there's no nice way to put it)

I think I've tried just about every cure out there, vaseline just made a mess of my shirt, bodyglide just got sweated away, band aids & nip guards would require a certain amount of man-scaping to stay in place (I'm not about to shave my chest....) and I was too cowardly to try duct tape but I finally found a solution . I picked up an Under Armour heatgear sleeveless compression top to wear as an undershirt. Did 18km last Sunday with no sign of the dreaded pink streaks on my shirt and no ouch factor in the post-run shower. (and as an aspiring triathlete it was right under my nose - that's why they wear skin tight tri tops or suits...d'oh.)

Now I'm really looking forward to May 27th.......

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    There is one solution that works even better. NO shirt! :D
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    There is one solution that works even better. NO shirt! :D

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: (I'd scare away the wildlife along the path.....)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Ow ow ow ow. My nipples just tingled thinking about them bleeding and chafing!

I'm sorry you men have to deal with that!
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Gahh! This is a new problem for me.... so annoying! I never expected it to be something I would have to worry about.

Haven't actually gotten to the point where my nipples bleed, but after a long cardio session, they are defnitely sore/irritated/tender.

I'll have to look into this Under Armour heatgear sleeveless compression top you talk about.....
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Ow ow ow ow. My nipples just tingled thinking about them bleeding and chafing!

I'm sorry you men have to deal with that!

^^^^ Totally agree, poor guys I never even though about that! At least for ladies the sports bra offers protection.
    OUCH though! Glad you found a solution!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Mine hurt only once. Talking to some other guys, deodorant works like vaseline without the messy shirt. I will likely use this for my half coming up in July.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness. You might want to try a waterproof band-aid. Get them from the Dollar Store so you don't waste too much money.
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I wonder if my surf rash guard would work? It works on the board lol
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Lansinoh products? They are for nursing mothers who get chapped and bloody nipples.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Try some Anti-monkey butt powder.... (seriously... google it)
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Have you tried wearing a bra?

I mean, I'm assuming that's why us ladies don't have the same problem...
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I always run and do cardio in compression tank tops.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I just use paper medical tape when I'm wearing a cycling bib. Sticks to the hair, but whatever.
  • Javajunkie67
    Javajunkie67 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've read on here about some guys using Glide ( at least I think that's what it's called), there's also monistats anti chaffing ointment. I found the monistat at the drugstore for DH. Relief was immediate for him.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Ya know, it's not really a guy thing... I have large breasts and when I run/jog/bike/go down stairs/jump, etc etc, my nips will feel like they are being ripped off my chest if I'm not careful. They don't bleed per se but I have had bruises, welts, rashes, and split skin. The worst part after the fact is that bandage adhesive can remove the top layers of delicate boob skin.

So, I feel for you, I really do.
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Lansinoh products? They are for nursing mothers who get chapped and bloody nipples.

I am friends with the daughters of the woman that created Lansinoh :)
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

I am friends with the daughters of the woman that created Lansinoh :)

That stuff is awesome. My "baby" is 11, but I still buy Lansinoh to put on my hands in the Winter when the air is dry and my knuckles crack and bleed.

Compression tops are the best defense, aside from those special stick-on nip guard things, from what my guy friends tell me. It makes sense, since it's friction that's causing the problem. Loose shirts move around too much. It's the same reason we cyclists wear spandex shorts...friction and seams on private parts is a VERY bad thing! :sad:
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Riding my bike last summer I found my troubles related to wearing bib biking shorts. If I wear the shorts I don't have any issues. So my bibs hang in the closet.
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    WOW, talk about perfect timing for this thread.
    Had a painful episode this week and I finally broke down and bought this stuff.

Body Glide Anti-Friction
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/BGL02/

It came recommended so I will give it a shot.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    For some people black toenails are the sign that they've finally hit the big leagues in terms of mileage, for a lot of guy it's bloody nipples. (sorry - there's no nice way to put it)

I think I've tried just about every cure out there, vaseline just made a mess of my shirt, bodyglide just got sweated away, band aids & nip guards would require a certain amount of man-scaping to stay in place (I'm not about to shave my chest....) and I was too cowardly to try duct tape but I finally found a solution . I picked up an Under Armour heatgear sleeveless compression top to wear as an undershirt. Did 18km last Sunday with no sign of the dreaded pink streaks on my shirt and no ouch factor in the post-run shower. (and as an aspiring triathlete it was right under my nose - that's why they wear skin tight tri tops or suits...d'oh.)

Now I'm really looking forward to May 27th.......

I hear ya. I use tape at >=12 miles.

Yup, it rips out some chest hair when I take it off but I've long since stopped worrying about losing hair! :smile: