HRM Question

Options
Spanaval
Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
I'm planning to get a Polar FT4. When I'm searching through the listings, some show them in different sizes, and others don't. My question is if there should be a size concern for the chest strap, since I'm kind of on the smaller side. I'm assuming that the accuracy of this thing would depend on the fit, right?

Replies

• wady24
    wady24 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hmmm. I have a Polar F11 (5 years old) but the chest strap fits me very well. Even when I was smaller (bra strap- 29 inches) it would fit me. The only thing is that you have to wash it regularly to maintain its stretchiness and readjust it to make sure it is snug. Not sure if anything has changed on the newer HRM.

Its the best thing I ever invested in!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Last time I checked, Polar offered 2 chest straps...both are adjustable and the measurements were given on the website. basically, you need to take a tape measure and measure wherever you are going to put the chest strap...then figure out which chest strap you need to get. The importance of this is...if you get the bigger one and its too big, then its not going to stay where it needs to stay and you won't get a reading (or at least not an accurate one). if you get the smaller one and its too small, well, it won't fit.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I have the FT4 and didn't realize they came in a size, guess they would. It's quite adjustable and even if it was too big, I'm sure a safety pin or something would hold it in place just fine.
  • Spanaval
    Options
    I'm a little confused because some of the reviews on Amazon says that it doesn't fit them properly because they're petite, there are a few that says that it does fit although they're petite with low body fat, and then there are larger people that it fits well too, which makes me wonder just how adjustable this thing is. And someone did mention that they offer smaller chest straps for an extra $50. Between that and the 5 day "warranty", I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused because some of the reviews on Amazon says that it doesn't fit them properly because they're petite, there are a few that says that it does fit although they're petite with low body fat, and then there are larger people that it fits well too, which makes me wonder just how adjustable this thing is. And someone did mention that they offer smaller chest straps for an extra $50. Between that and the 5 day "warranty", I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle.

its possible someone ordered the HRM not appreciating that you could select a different sized chest strap...or ordered it from a site that had "one size fits all". Here's one site that has THREE options for the chest strap. http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/polar-ft4f-purple.html

I ordered an FT4 for my wife from this site, and it has TWO options for the chest strap. http://www.bodytronics.com/p/polar_heart_rate_monitors/POFT4?s=g&kw=polar-ft4-heart-rate-monitor+exact&gclid=CNfi2sCvxK8CFS1a7AodnmXkYw
  • kpittman0612
    Options
    I ordered a Polar FT4 from bodytronics.com and it had different sizes for the strap. It fits me perfectly and stays in place and is not uncomfortable in the least. I am also petite at 5'2 and 118 lbs. I LOVE mine! Worth the money! I couldn't imagine not working out without it now!
  • Spanaval
    Options
    Oh, thank you guys! I was going to order from Amazon.