Delicious & easy meals?

Options
Hey MFPers!

I'm a busy bee who loves delicious-but-easy meals. I usually have yogurt and granola for breakfast, fruits & veggies or a sandwich for lunch, and something equally blah for dinner. What are your FAVORITE easy meals? Bonus points if they're cheap...I'm short on cash in addition to being short on creativity and time :)

Replies

• lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It's a little tricky to think of easy, fast meals because I usually do lots of cooking on weekends and eat leftovers all week.

One of my favorite easy weeknight dinners though is to chop and saute up a bunch of veggies and serve them over grits instead of rice. Real, old-fashioned grits and not the sodium-filled instant stuff. They take only slightly longer to cook than pasta. If you're outside of the south, you can probably find them at stores like Whole Foods. They're especially delicious with tomato-based veggie mixes (tomatoes and onions with zucchini or sweet corn or some kind of green like chard. or mushrooms!). I'd eat an egg with it for protein because I'm cheap, but you could probably add some meat into the saute as well.
  • sarafit926
    sarafit926 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    It's a little tricky to think of easy, fast meals because I usually do lots of cooking on weekends and eat leftovers all week.

One of my favorite easy weeknight dinners though is to chop and saute up a bunch of veggies and serve them over grits instead of rice. Real, old-fashioned grits and not the sodium-filled instant stuff. They take only slightly longer to cook than pasta. If you're outside of the south, you can probably find them at stores like Whole Foods. They're especially delicious with tomato-based veggie mixes (tomatoes and onions with zucchini or sweet corn or some kind of green like chard. or mushrooms!). I'd eat an egg with it for protein because I'm cheap, but you could probably add some meat into the saute as well.

That sounds delicious! I looove grits and I think if I make a bunch of this on the weekends I can eat it all week. Thank you!
  • whenstars
    whenstars Posts: 27
    Options
    My favourites are stir frys, I just use any veggies that are left in the fridge with beansprouts and cabbage to bulk it up, Blue dragon sauces are really cheap and low calorie if you don't want to make your own. Also, a tortilla with tomato puree, low fat cheese and any roasted veggies for a low fat pizza, yum yum :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Things based on canned pulses (chickpeas, butter beans, lentils, haricots, borlotti, etc are all cheap, delicious and nutritious), with added vegetables - salad stuff for cold lunches, diced and roasted root veg, squash, peas, sweetcorn, red peppers and/or steamed greens for hot dinners, with or without a sauce based on a diced and sauted onion simmered in a can of chopped tomatoes, herbs and garlic. Fine on their own or add grilled meat/fish for extra protein. Simple, foolproof, and you can get creative!