Getting Enough Protein as a Vegetarian

Options
I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian and since I've started tracking what I eat, I've realized that I'm only getting around half of the protein that it recommends per day (48g in my case).
I'm trying to move away from cab-based meals, but I still find it hard to fit enough protein into my day. What do you guys eat to get your daily protein recommendation?
Also of note: I'm allergic to peanuts, so simple things like adding low-fat peanut butter to recipes won't work :(

Replies

• AdiposeRapture
    Options
    Have you tried other nut butters?
    Artisana makes AMAZING almond, cashew, coconut butters that are packed with protein and YUMMMMMY too.

*Im an allergy mom, my daughter is gluten and casien free and we try and avoid soy and food dye, so I feel you. I'm gluten free myself and working on becoming raw vegan*
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    You can try whey protein powder if you don't have time to eat whole complete protein foods such as soy, milk, cheese, and eggs since you are lacto-ovo. Grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and other vegetables need to be combined with each other because they are considered incomplete proteins. Together they are considered complementary proteins.

Here's an example of some combinations!

http://www.bodyforlife2.com/incompletprotein.htm
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I can't have eggs, soy, dairy or almonds. I am lucky that I can have peanut butter but I don't really think of that as much of a protein source since you'd have to eat a lot of it to get substantial protein. I think of it as good fat and just tastey eats.

I use rice protein powder and vegan protein bars (soy free). 24gr of protein per 30g (110 calories)
    If you can have whey, whey protein powders pack even more protein.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Black beans, quinoa, chick peas.

Whey protein powder

Greek yogurt, Labneh (yogurt cheese)

Tofu, edamame
  • Gel978
    Gel978 Posts: 19
    Options
    I was vegetarian then vegan for awhile and I got my protein through soy milk, beans, veggie burgers,hummus. I used to make this mixture of whole grain brown rice, onions, red beans, black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, and seasonings. I would eat it as is or put it on a whole grain tortilla with hummus. So good!
  • KittyHeff
    KittyHeff Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    We're veggies and as others have mentioned found it hard to reach our protein quota everyday. I use Quorn as a substitute and it's pretty high in protein!
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    Whey protein. There is a good product called "Vega" that provides a super-healthy protein drink for vegans. That would be the best option for you, I believe.
  • lichensandseeds
    lichensandseeds Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey! fellow peanut allergy friend here. I love all of the other available nut butters-- they seem so much easier to find in stores now than when I was a kid (back then I just ate yogurt for lunch every day while all my friends got pb+j. no fair haha)

I don't know how severe your allergy is, and I know some people have to be conscious of cross-contamination. There's a company called Sunbutter that makes sunflower seed butter and specializes in peanut-free products. They have peanut free trailmix too! I've seen their nut butter at lots of groceries, but you can get it online as well.

Otherwise, I eat semi-vegetarian and have to be conscious of protein. Greek yogurt is great. I also eat a lot of tofu, legumes, and other nuts. And eggs-- I hard boil a bunch at a time and then just throw them in my lunch if I need some added protein.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    A half cup of green lentils gives 16g of protein for 140 calories - I'm not vegetarian but trying to up my protein without increasing my meat intake, and I've been putting them in everything! Also seconding the beans and chickpeas.