All calories are NOT the same

Options
Just few little fun facts from Banks to make your life a tiny bit more complicated:tongue:

I see quite a bit on here the phrase "calories in vs calories out" and "a calorie is a calorie" or some such variation.

While I agree that the amount of calories you consume is vitally important to weight loss, I feel it's JUST as important to have the right kind of calories.

Few fun facts.

- A single serving of simple carbohydrates (lets take white, bleached flour) takes about 15 to 30 minutes to digest where as, whole grains(depending on the type) takes between 45 minutes and 3 hours.

- A calorie of protein from meat takes anywhere from 3 hours to 12 hours to completely digest and another couple of hours to move through your body (and sometimes longer depending on about a million factors). That isn't to say you don't receive any protein until 3 hours later, the process begins immediately, but you don't recieve the full amount until the end, think of it like a time released cold pill, it breaks down slowly in the stomach, and as it does, some nutrients are leeched out, and more are leeched out as it passes through the colon and intestines.

-Fiber is not only indigestible to humans, in many cases as it travels through the intestines it will feed the "friendly flora" there and it can also absorb toxins and carry them with it out of the body. So not only does it help fill you up and give you a sense of "fullness" it can keep you healthy as well.

-Fats are not an enemy to the human body, in fact besides being a secondary fuel source, some vitamins and minerals require dietary fats as a vehicle for delivery in the blood. The brain needs certain types of vitamins that the fats can provide, as does hair, skin, and nails and cell membranes for various (fat soluble vitamins being one) reasons to stay healthy. Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are the preferred types of fat for humans though, where hydrogenated oils and saturated fats are less helpful and can affect cholesterol numbers aversely (and are a factor in CAD and plaque).

-Fructose and lactose (fruit sugar and milk sugar) use an entirely different process from sucrose to enter the blood stream, it takes longer and as such usually doesn't spike the blood sugar and cause insulin release like sugary or white flour products do.

-While almost all fruit and some veggies contain fructose, many also can contain high quantities of sucrose, so be aware that some fruits can have similar detrimental blood sugar effects as white sugar or white flour.

-In order for protein to be broken down into energy to use as fuel, the liver needs to process the protein and turn it into (this is a VERY simplified definition but...) glucose for short term energy that the muscles can use for ATP (the actual fuel muscles normally use), this takes far longer than the process needed for breaking down carbohydrates.

-If the body requires more energy than is currently available (like during moderate exercise or intense exercise), it will attempt to use ALL available energy sources, I.E. food intake, protein from either intake or muscle, AND stored fat, which ever is the most abundant and readily available is the one that will be used the most, which is why it's easier to shed fat when you have a lot, than when you don't.

What does all this mean? I'll let you judge, but generally it means, there's a lot more to a healthy body than just calories in vs calories out!

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Great info!

I'd be curious to know which fruits fall into the sucrose category???
  • jojogirl
    Options
    Thank You for your simply put definitions on information that may otherwise be misunderstood. It is helping so many and it is appreciated tremendously!!
    :flowerforyou:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options
    Thank you for the informative reading. As always...:flowerforyou: :heart: I'll Bank of Banks.
  • abatres7
    Options
    I loved this info, thanks for sharing. The one part that caught my attention was the fruit that could fall into the sucrose category. So if you find out...let us know.
  • amicklin
    Options
    Very well put, thank you for the information! :drinker:
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I would also like to know which fruit falls into which catergory because I do love my fresh fruit and it is in season. YUM!!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    here's a good table

http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/fruits_table.html

fyi, glucose is the real scary one, it needs no processing and goes RIGHT into the bloodstream.
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Great Information as usuall:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Thanks Banks, great info as always! :flowerforyou:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Great info!

I'd be curious to know which fruits fall into the sucrose category???

I was thinking the same thing! Here's a link I found to a table that lists fruits and the kinds/amts of sugar they containg: http://www.thepaleodiet.com/nutritional_tools/fruits_table.html

Looks like most fruits contain a balance of different kinds of sugars, but fruits like peaches, apricots, grapefruit, and cantaloupe contain significantly more sucrose than fructose.

Banks - thanks for the awesome info. I always love reading about the science behind health and nutrition (especially your simplified versions).
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: bump!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    looked at the list you posted - I had no clue!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    grapes are the scary one to me.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    thanks Banks! :flowerforyou:
  • kat05317
    kat05317 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Great information, Thank you!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    You can have my bananas when you take them from my cold sugary fingers :tongue:
  • sjmay
    sjmay Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Thanks for more great info Banks! :smile:
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    You can have my bananas when you take them from my cold sugary fingers :tongue:

LOL! Bananas kind of balance considering that they have more good stuff than most other fruit, and in higher quantities.

Moderation Marky! Just don't eat 3 at once! :bigsmile:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    grapes are the scary one to me.

GRAPES are a scary one?? Crap!!! I've been eating them with low fat cottage cheese or a cheese string as a snack.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Especially about the fiber.

I just started pairing my fruit with nuts to help reduce the blood sugar spike because I'm not going to give up my bananas, mangos, OR grapes.