Going out tonight--but don't want to eat too much!

Options
Hey guys, I wanted to ask your opinion on something. I worked out pretty hard today (burned 435 between housework, walking, pilates, and gardening), and since it's horrendously hot, my husband and I decided to go out. The destination? Chili's--the place where I ate a lot of the food that sort of turned me into what I am now.

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between two meals ahead of time (so I don't get tempted), but I can't decide. One's the Caribbean Salad (with grilled shrimp) which is 590 calories, or the Margarita Grilled Chicken, which is 550. The Salad has a lot more fat (owing the fact that it wasn't designed as a "diet" entree, but the chicken really doesn't excite me at all, and with the heat today, I could really go for a nice, cold salad. Either meal will leave me under my calorie goal for the day.

So, should I just feed my urge and go with the salad (and just deal with the extra fat--I'll be 14 grams over for the day), or should I go for the lighter but less satisfying meal?

Replies

• kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    The margarita chicken is AMAZING. That's my new staple at Chili's. Usually, I can only eat half of it, too!
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    Oh, I didn't actually finish reading your post - I got excited when I saw the margarita chicken!! I would go with the salad if that's really what you want!! It's still a healthy choice!
  • nakedsun
    nakedsun Posts: 115
    Options
    Depends how often you're eating out. If you've been doing well and this is a treat - I would say get what you prefer. Portion sizes are usually crazy anyways so just set aside about half before you start eating.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    If either leaves you under your calorie goal, then go with the one that strikes your fancy :)
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I would go with the meal I wanted within my cals. No good to deprive yourself and then try to fill the void later, especially if you are within calories!
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Eh, neither of these choices is gonna make or break you! Just have whichever you want--and do it guilt free. After it's done, just move on! That's the way you'll find success, not by restricting yourself totally.
  • OmegaSkye
    OmegaSkye Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks, guys. :3 I didn't want to fall into a trap and do what I often do--fall off the horse. XD I think I'll go with the salad! We don't go out that often anyway (maybe once a month), so it probably won't hurt.