Calcium supplement

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
tl;dr: What're the best natural sources of food to get calcium from? Also, what should I look for in calcium supplements and should I be looking for something like "One A day for men" or something?

Some of my friends and I on MFP have have been discussing a bit about me taking calcium supplement and I agree, I need some calcium. I have taken up running and I'm hating it right now mainly because its causing my leg bones alot of pain. I do intense workouts regularly and can handle hard work but I would hate myself if I cause an injury due to running and not be able to workout the next day because I got injured.

Problem is...I hate taking supplements. I like getting the nutrition the natural way. So far I've been using fiber pills and protein shakes but taking calcium supplements would be new.

Can anyone recommend a good source of calcium besides milk (I drink a glass of 1% organic milk a day now)? And/or I need to know what to look for in calcium supplements or should I just take something like "one a day for men" or something like that?

Replies

• akshayam29
    Options
    increase your intake of seafood especially sardines (good source apart from dairy), turnips,try cottage cheese (low in carbs and good in calcium), sesame seeds along with your regular intake. If you still feel your calcium intake is low then start taking supplement. I dont know about one a day for men but i can recommend bone protec from xtendlife. have a look at it.
  • journeysover
    Options
    I have joint pain and a close family history of Osteoporosis and was recommended by a Boots Pharmacist to take Osteocare Joint which is about £4 cheaper in Holland & Barret
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Have you had a full set of blood tests lately to work out exactly what you need?
    Otherwise you are just making the supplement companies rich and creating very expensive pee.
    Ask your doc for a test then you'll know which things you're lacking in, so you can supplement in these.