Muscle soreness

Options
After working extra hard on the elliptical and jogging this week my thigh muscles are very sore. In the past when this has happened, I always waited on the soreness to stop before exercising again. But now I really don't want to because I really like exercising. So it made me curious to know if it's ok to keep going or would that be bad for my muscles.

So MFP, tell me when your muscles get really sore after a work out, do you continue to exercise the next day or do you take a break until the soreness is gone?

Replies

• zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    It depends. I can usually tell the difference between busting my butt workout sore and I actually hurt sore. If it's the first, I just go the next day and deal. If it's the second, I break for at least two days, but try and do something light in the meantime, if it doesn't hurt too much.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    AS long as it isn't an injury and it is just muscle soreness than I push right through the soreness and usually feel alot better after I do..... Good Luck to you......
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's definitely just muscle soreness and not an injury. I will probably try to work through it. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Drink chocolate milk after your exercise. You will have virtually no soreness.
  • whitetiger011680
    Options

Thanks but I don't drink milk of any kind. Makes me sick. :ohwell:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I won't do the same exercise on back to back days, so if I'm sore from running, I'd do upper body lifting instead. Maybe yoga or pilates, or even a long walk.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    rest 1 day, exercise again.
  • mariobadr
    mariobadr Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If it's just soreness I'll go at it again the next day no problem. Make sure you stretch after your workouts, and maybe do some low intensity yoga at night before bed. It really helps. Good luck!
  • hkatrobos
    hkatrobos Posts: 49
    Options
    is this true?!
  • hkatrobos
    hkatrobos Posts: 49
    Options

is this true?
  • neverstray
    Options

Thanks but I don't drink milk of any kind. Makes me sick. :ohwell:

Ok. It fixes the problem. There are other things, like the P90X recovery drink. It does the trick too. Zero soreness.
  • neverstray
    Options

is this true?

Yes.

You need to drink it within an hour of working out. The sooner, the better.
  • abigailm83
    abigailm83 Posts: 110
    Options
    I have a hard time making myself workout if I'm sore from the day before but usually once I get started my muscles relax and I'm good to go.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    It depends on the degree of soreness and the type of workout.

Almost always I'll go anyway, though.

P.s. I hate hate hate chocolate, but 2% milk helps me.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

is this true?

Yup. Article at link doesn't specifically list no soreness but extols the benefits of milk post-workout. I have been doing sixteen ounces of milk with a scoop of protein powder after my morning workouts for about ten days now and no soreness. YMMV

http://stronglifts.com/milk-post-workout-build-muscle-gains/

And a Choco Milk article.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/healthy-eating/superfoods/chocolate-milk-after-workout/
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

is this true?

Yes.

You need to drink it within an hour of working out. The sooner, the better.

Yup. I keep a cooler in my truck along with my shaker and mix up two cups of milk with some protein powder as soon as I get to the parking lot after my gym workout each morning. That's my breakfast after my workout and before I drive to work. Been working great for me the past couple of weeks.
  • whitetiger011680
    Options
    So as the night goes on I am feeling less sore. I do believe I will hit the gym after work in the morning, but I did still give my muscles a rest because I didn't make it to the gym today. And I just might have to try some of that p90x recovery drink.
  • ems1583
    ems1583 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You're just experiencing DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), peaks 24-48 hrs after work, and will go away after 48-72 hours. Just continue with exercise and it will eventually go away. If like for 3 days you still feel the soreness, decrease the intensity of your exercise. Always stretch and warm up for lesser soreness prior to work out.
  • Hickyvikki69
    Hickyvikki69 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    my inner and uppers thighs was killing me to. i took a 3 days rest and just walked 10-15min walks. i also added protein drinks to my diet...helped sooth the muscles. hot baths
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options