any bigger people feel akward at the gym

Options
i go to goodlife gym, and there is two in my town one for women and one for both i tend to go to the women one more, i dont like when i go to the co ed one and guys just stare at me and people act like im so un welcome to be there. i always here people wispering to there friends like what a waste of space when im on the machines. like i try really hard to lose the weight and im smaller then i used to me and just fustraing when people make you feel so unwanted and akward, just wondering if i am the only one who feels like this. or how to other people handle it. and ignoring it is not the easist thing to do.

Replies

• Keeshaja
    Keeshaja Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    YES! I do so I joined Curves ..I felt like everyone was looking at me like I was from Mars when I went to the regular gym.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I couldn't join a gym for this very reason. Doesn't even matter if anyone noticed me. My mind would be playing tricks on me the whole time.

And that's why I workout at home.

Although, I'm not ashamed on the treadmill because I'm athletic and I tear it up even at my current weight.
  • mzbatson
    mzbatson Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I joined the YMCA in my town and I can say I did feel like that in the beginning. Once I walked through the door and got the tour, everyone was nice and welcoming. I have never heard any whispers but I noticed some stares in the beginning but I just sucked it up and stayed focus. One thing I make sure of, no matter what, every time I go to the gym, I look cute!!! I bought some cute workout clothes and shoes. My confidence level is high when I step on the gyn floor and get my workout in!!!! I think the people have seen me some many times now, they don't even see me anymore!!

Just be confident and know that you belong there as much as they do!!!! Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    I never see 'bigger' people at my gym...ALWAYS men with the big muscles and tiny ladies looking to get fit sometimes older people.

I really don't like the gym. I feel like if i go hard and sweat a lot i get embarrased cos everyone else looks amazing.
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Don't feel that way. You probably are just thinking they are talking about you. Even if they are, does their opinion matter? I can kind of relate. I'm not the biggest guy. Maybe 5' 9" and about 157 right now. I'm just not built to be a power lifter. So I feel awkward sometimes too, not being able to lift what other guys can. In the end, you just have to know that you are doing what is best for you, that you're doing the best you can and screw the haters.
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I think it's alllll in your head! I used to have this phobia, but then I realized no one really cares. We're all there for the same reason, to get in shape, and if any one is judging me negatively for that then they have problems. Now that I am no longer over weight, I myself never look at over weight people and judge, I mostly just watch other people to get work out ideas! Don't let your insecurities keep you from the gym, you'll feel more comfortable in time! Going with friends helps too! :)
  • 19howie78
    19howie78 Posts: 29
    Options
    I HATE going to the gym,, i always felt so uncomfortable and thinking everyone was looking at me,, but (and this is the strangest thing), i love working out OUTSIDE!!!!!!! i dont care who sees me running,, or doing bootcamp outside,, but hate it indoors in the gym,,, what gives?? :)
  • kravmom
    kravmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've never had people be negative toward me about my size at the gym. In my experience, it's really just a matter of respect. People see me always working hard and not slacking off. in fact, I work harder than 99% of everyone else at the gym. People notice this. As a result, I have found universal support.

What fit people don't like is when they see obese people being lazy, making excuses, and not working hard. Work hard, and people will get behind you.
  • jodyl70
    jodyl70 Posts: 94
    Options
    I also go to Goodlife Gym in Victoria in Western Canada!

When I was 50+ pounds heavier, going to the gym almost caused an anxiety attack from fear and dread. I still have those "fears" as I now workout strictly in the main weight and cardio room.
    Remember - hold your head high and focus on YOU. Keep your music on and self talk through your workouts. Soon, they will be complimenting you on how far you have come!

You can do it!

:happy:
  • Dy425
    Dy425 Posts: 2
    Options
    I have gone to the gym as both a large person and a "quote unquote" normal sized person. I felt the way you feel as a larger women, but know i KNOW the truth. Most people just look at people - all people - and in my opinion any person that is there should be congratulated and not frowned upon. You need to change how you feel, and the first step is to just walk in with you head held high and proud. "You are what you are - and it is what it is'. You how ever are making changes - stoping thinking so hard about what other people "may" be thinking and start listening to that other voice that tells you the postive changes you are making.. The gym has changed my life - and can change yours too! Best of luck - and from now onlyl listen to the voices that say the right things!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    please dont let this be the reason you dont go to the gym.

sometimes when we're self conscious we assume everything anyone else does is about us, but most of the times it isnt.

just put your headphones on and get your workout in. if anyone has a problem with it then tell them to kiss your (gradually shrinking) fat *kitten* :laugh:

i've been a member of team chunk for much longer than i'd like and in that time i have consistently been goign to he gym. i've only had a few bad experiences directly involved with weight, mainly with trainers or some gym goers being condescending and making assumptions about my workouts, or people being concerned for my health while i'm working out :mad:

oh yeah once at my old gym when I was doing real push ups a female trainer told me i shouldnt do straight legged push ups because of my size so i should stick to on my knees. i later found out from another trainer that she was just pissed that me, a fat girl, could bang out 20+ push ups while she a fit thin girl couldnt even do 5.

anyway my point is, if people have problems seeing you work out then screw 'em. don;t let the haters keep you from doing the things you want to do .. especially if you're paying the same entrance fees they are :smile:
  • NamiObsidian
    Options
    I hate going to the gym... I especially feel awkward when there are a bunch of skinny or muscular people there... :sad:

Try to be proud of who you are, and don't let the ignoramuses bring you down~ :heart:
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I still feel uncomfortable going to the gym, and I've almost reached a "normal" BMI. I think, deep down, probably everyone feels insecure at the gym. Some people deal with it by showing off to cover it up, others attempt being immaculately groomed and fear breaking a sweat. Bottom line: everyone's world view centers on themselves, so everyone's world is shaped by how they perceive themselves in it. Don't worry too much - everyone else it too worried about how THEY look to care!
  • bellefille
    bellefille Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It appears that I am rather fortunate in that the gym in my neighborhood seems to attract a healthy mix of people - all ages and different sizes.

Even then, when I first started going to the gym a few years ago, I remember working out next to this 70+ year woman who was lifting 25lb weights while I was unable to complete 10 reps with the 2lb weights. I was the weakest client my trainer had at the time. Now, I am the one with the 25lb weights.

The thing to remember in the gym is that, everyone had a starting point - no one was born lifting the 25lb weights.

Also, there is nothing more motivating than watching someone else's progress in the gym. There is a morbidly obese gentleman who started at the gym a few weeks after I did. Just watching him plugging in day after day, from barely walking on the treadmill to now running and seeing the changes in him over the last few years have been very motivating.

So go to the gym and do your thing - for everyone who tries to judge you, there is someone else for whom you may be the motivation.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I think it's alllll in your head! I used to have this phobia, but then I realized no one really cares. We're all there for the same reason, to get in shape, and if any one is judging me negatively for that then they have problems. Now that I am no longer over weight, I myself never look at over weight people and judge, I mostly just watch other people to get work out ideas! Don't let your insecurities keep you from the gym, you'll feel more comfortable in time! Going with friends helps too! :)

^^^This^^^
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    "Don't worry too much - everyone else it too worried about how THEY look to care!"

This.

I know it's not easy feeling loads bigger than everyone else. In fact I wrote a blog entry about being the only fat person in the pool
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Xiaolongbao/view/fat-girl-in-the-pool-225150

But really most people are too worried about themselves to give you more than a passing glance unless you are somehow in their way or something. So get out there and do whatever you want to help you get healthier and fitter.
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I used to mostly coz Id go and come out with a red face and sweat dripping off me and everyone else would still look perfect but now I jus go in there and do what have to do and come out on a high because Ive reached my goals for that day. Even if I am completely dripping in sweat while everyone else doesnt seem to be. I had a little giggle to myself one day when I was on the treadmill and the girl on the treadmill next to me had a lipstick with her... Er Why would you need a lipstick in the gym? Afterwards sure.. But.. Anyway everyone to their own. I couldnt wear lipstick mascara or any of it since sometimes Im sweating so hard it stings my eyes. It'd be right down my face. LOL But everyone to their own.
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used to feel really apprehensive about going to the gym because I was worried people were "judging me" when I worked out.

Then I started making some friends at the gym and realized that I was putting my OWN insecurities onto other people. Since I am unhappy with where my body is right now, I assumed that other people were too. I still believe there is probably a very small portion of people that are bothered by me, but the majority of the people I've spoken to don't pay attention to anyone else at the gym. They are aware of the people around them, but not really engaged with those people. My friend Amy gets into "the zone" (as I call it) so much that I walked through the gym, got on the cardio machine NEXT TO HER and did 30 minutes before she even noticed I was there, LOL!

If you go to the gym a lot (I go 6-7 days a week now!), and around the same time, you'll start seeing some familiar faces. And I'm willing to bet that most of those people will applaud your efforts rather than think nasty thoughts about you.

If you're worried about your workout itself, I would consider hiring a trainer -- it really is worth the money if you can afford it.
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Oh and one more thing! (I can't believe I forgot this...)

I've gotten to a point now where I look at going to the gym and getting exercise as "me time," and I won't let anyone take that away from me. I used to see it as some kind of punishment, but now exercise/gym time is a reward for me -- I'm moving my body and pushing myself and it feels soooooo good even when I'm tired and sweaty. And the way I feel when I finish a workout? PERFECTION.

If someone else has a problem with what I do when I work out, they can suck an egg. It is MY TIME!
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    This kept me from going to a gym for years, my son finally dragged me to the gym and i go there now for ME !!!!!!

Ive lost quite a bit of weight but still have a way to go and if someone is staring its their problem, im there to get healthy and loose weight

Stick your headphones on, play your favourite music hold your head up high and say to yourself im doing this for me !!!!!