Eating back exercise calories; what if I'm not hungry ?

Options
2»

Replies

• zionsmommii
    Options
    I'm new to the site, I'm confused what is eating back your workout calories? I all was thought you wanted the calorie defecit?

Hi I'm new too but what it means is that you get extra calories when you exercise to add to your total of calories to eat during the day and you have the option to eat the extra calories from the workout or not. The problem sometimes is that the more you workout the more calories you get extra and sometimes it's a lot to eat those extras if you're not hungry I never have that problem because I'm always hungry LOL but I can see how some people have that issue but that's what all that means. I hope I helped! Good luck!
  • LFiestan
    LFiestan Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    im confused......am I supposed to be eating back all the calories I burn off when I work out? I thought that to loose weight you had to burn more than you eat. I'm eating the 1200 that Im suposed to get but I dont' worry as much about trying to eat what i burn off. I don't stop at 1200 everyday that i work out though.
    As for not being able to eat after work out. No problem here. I jsut make sure I at least eat something small. Usually it's a hard boiled egg or my favorite....a clif bars.

I though i was the only one confused. coz thats what i thought too. We dont have to eat all the calories we burned off, we have to have a calorie deficit if we want to lose weight, thats what i know. Anyway, if im hungry after a workout (which i usually am not) either i drink water or spoonful of peanut butter/yogurt or apple or almond...but really, drink loads of water.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    im confused......am I supposed to be eating back all the calories I burn off when I work out? I thought that to loose weight you had to burn more than you eat. I'm eating the 1200 that Im suposed to get but I dont' worry as much about trying to eat what i burn off. I don't stop at 1200 everyday that i work out though.
    As for not being able to eat after work out. No problem here. I jsut make sure I at least eat something small. Usually it's a hard boiled egg or my favorite....a clif bars.

I though i was the only one confused. coz thats what i thought too. We dont have to eat all the calories we burned off, we have to have a calorie deficit if we want to lose weight, thats what i know. Anyway, if im hungry after a workout (which i usually am not) either i drink water or spoonful of peanut butter/yogurt or apple or almond...but really, drink loads of water.

MFP has already assigned you a calorie deficit based on the weight you said you wanted to lose. So IF your calculation of exercise calories is correct (a large assumption) you could eat them all and still lose. Many people eat only part of them because calculations are quite often high.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your burn? If you're using a HRM, rely on those cals. If you're using the mfp calculator, be a bit wary (lop about 100 off that figure).

I don't burn 1000 + quite so regularly as I used to, but I do still do it several times a week. If you've got a fair bit to lose, and you're working out more than an hour in a day, you'll burn that much easily.

In terms of eating - engineman's suggestion is a good one. Post workout, the protein thing is important. If you can't fancy a shake, have a handful of nuts or some yoghurt or a milky drink.

Another tip is to perhaps view your calories in and out in a week long pattern, rather than day by day. If you have heavy workout days, and quieter days, you may find it's the quieter days when you actually feel the hunger.
  • nas30
    nas30 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Really useful. :smile:
  • ffddff
    ffddff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry sometime after an exercise it means you kinda stressed yourself out too much.
    If you do way too much you even will feel nausea.
    Normally if you do exercises regularly your body should adjust itself and you will feel hunger back.
    That was I hear from my instructor when I did mounting hiking.
    According to MFP I burn about 800 doing almost 2 hours of high impact aerobics.
    And I definitely can't repeat such an exercise every day...
  • bluetigger86
    Options

I think we're doing it a good way. I love working out and having those extra calories just in case but I don't feel like I have to eat them all to keep my body out of starvation mode. That why I at least stick to my 1200 that I'm supposed to get. Also, I know it's good to eat after a workout so you're body/muscles have "fuel" to recover so thats why I have a snack and some water right after.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

I think we're doing it a good way. I love working out and having those extra calories just in case but I don't feel like I have to eat them all to keep my body out of starvation mode. That why I at least stick to my 1200 that I'm supposed to get. Also, I know it's good to eat after a workout so you're body/muscles have "fuel" to recover so thats why I have a snack and some water right after.

Unless you have set up an activity level beyond sedentary, MFP is designed to calculate a deficit for you WITHOUT exercise. The exercise you do is added to your calorie goal, so if you don't eat them back, you create a larger deficit than the one you setup initially with MFP.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    try drinking them!! protein shakes are great post work out. two scoops of powder, mixed with 8-10 ounces of fruit juice (i use orange) some frozen berries, and some plain fat free yogurt, and you have a great recover drink.

2012-02-10_10-54-46_470.jpg
    LOL! I like your style...less washing up :drinker: