How can I fix the weird discolouring?!?!?

Options
I've been working out solidly for about 3 months now, and just before that I dropped about 10kg in 2 months. I was recovering from an operation, so the only exercise I was doing was walking 3km per day- and I dramatically changed my diet. I ate three small meals a day and that was it- I felt fine, and the weight dropped super fast. I definitely did lose a lot of strength though, and I think I could have done the process better. In the past three months though, I've regained about 6kg of lean muscle, and managed to keep a lean physique. The only issue is that while I was dropping weight, and even now, I got/ have been getting comments about the colour of my skin!! Apparently I look 'a sickly yellow' and have people wondering if I am ok!! I fell fine- I run 3 days a week and do solid workouts the other 4 days. I eat a low carb, low fat, high protein diet and eat around 2000 calories a day. Do you have any ideas of what would be causing this 'sick' look, and how I would fix it?? Should I have a blood test done, or do you know if it's a common enough issue, easily fixed??

Replies

• AssembledIncorrectly
    AssembledIncorrectly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Are the whites of your eyes yellow as well?
  • Jordant107
    Jordant107 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Are the whites of your eyes yellow as well?

Nope- just my skin?!?
  • AssembledIncorrectly
    Options
    Hmm That's weird. I'm not sure..Maybe you should try a doctor? My friend turned Yellow ( Jaundice) and had Liver failure...
  • iceandfire212
    iceandfire212 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yellowness of skin is a major sign of liver damage. Please go see your physician.
  • LillyMosley
    LillyMosley Posts: 166
    Options
    best to have blood tests and your doctor's opinion just to be sure.
  • Jordant107
    Options
    Hmm That's weird. I'm not sure..Maybe you should try a doctor? My friend turned Yellow ( Jaundice) and had Liver failure...
    I have a friend who has jaundice, so I know what you mean when you ask about the eyes- his are always a bit watery and yellow. But my eyes are fine.........................and I process alcohol ok, so I don't think it's liver failure :wink:
  • mz_hartbreaka
    mz_hartbreaka Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i agree if ur a yellow colour its yr liver and u need to see dr asap, thats a very serious issue, not one that shuld be left unseen by a dr.
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Definately go todoctor to get checked over.

When we eat fruit and vegetables they do add a yellow tone to your skin (Which most people percieve as healthy and more attractive). However, if your eating too many things containing Keratin (like carrots) it can turn your skin orange! My mum was a nurse and in the 70's she treated a lady who'd been on a carrot and water diet and had gone yellow.
  • Jordant107
    Options
    best to have blood tests and your doctor's opinion just to be sure.
    Yeah ok- I guess it's probably safest that way. I was hoping that maybe it was just a lack of some kind of nutrition or something that maybe a tablet could fix.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Might be a good idea to go see a doctor...though, just out of curiosity, are you eating a lot of carotene rich/orange foods...like carrots, papayas, mangoes etc? I've seen someone who ate a papaya for lunch every day get this coloring.
    Yellowish skin can indicate liver problems...it's worth checking it out.
  • Jordant107
    Options
    Definately go todoctor to get checked over.

When we eat fruit and vegetables they do add a yellow tone to your skin (Which most people percieve as healthy and more attractive). However, if your eating too many things containing Keratin (like carrots) it can turn your skin orange! My mum was a nurse and in the 70's she treated a lady who'd been on a carrot and water diet and had gone yellow.
    I don't have heaps of fruit, and I rarely eat carrot!!! Would an excess of protein shakes and supplements affect anything?!?
  • AssembledIncorrectly
    Options
    I have a friend who has jaundice, so I know what you mean when you ask about the eyes- his are always a bit watery and yellow. But my eyes are fine.........................and I process alcohol ok, so I don't think it's liver failure :wink:

Silly Alcohol is a source of Liver Damage..and you can still process alcohol while having Liver Damage. Anywho..You should still go see a Doc. Yellow Skin Is not normal..unless you tan from a can or have some serious Liver malfunctions. Your skin can also turn Yellow if you consume to much Beta Carotene.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    This happened to me and I found out that I had autoimmune liver disease. It's not a liver failure, and I process alcohol almost like a normal person. I got mine from PCOS, but it's caused by a lot of different things. See a doctor, there is no harm in getting a test done.
  • Jordant107
    Options
    Might be a good idea to go see a doctor...though, just out of curiosity, are you eating a lot of carotene rich/orange foods...like carrots, papayas, mangoes etc? I've seen someone who ate a papaya for lunch every day get this coloring.
    Yellowish skin can indicate liver problems...it's worth checking it out.
    I don't think so- I do have a lot of supplements though cause I work out a lot.
  • missfunkadilly
    Options
    You may be getting Jaundice. Your eye whites are not yellow, which is a good sign. You may be getting too much protein and not balancing it out with enough vegetables. If you are going to do a low carb diet, you should be eating higher amounts of fat and protein. Low carb will switch your body into ketosis, which means your body will be burning its fat stores as energy, instead of carbs. You really need to add in more vegetables and maybe introduce some complex carbs into your diet. See a doctor if this continues, Jaundice is very serious.
  • Jordant107
    Options

Silly Alcohol is a source of Liver Damage..and you can still process alcohol while having Liver Damage. Anywho..You should still go see a Doc. Yellow Skin Is not normal..unless you tan from a can or have some serious Liver malfunctions. Your skin can also turn Yellow if you consume to much Beta Carotene.
    Oh ok!! Well theres no 'tan from a can' in my case:)
  • Jordant107
    Options
    You may be getting Jaundice. Your eye whites are not yellow, which is a good sign. You may be getting too much protein and not balancing it out with enough vegetables. If you are going to do a low carb diet, you should be eating higher amounts of fat and protein. Low carb will switch your body into ketosis, which means your body will be burning its fat stores as energy, instead of carbs. You really need to add in more vegetables and maybe introduce some complex carbs into your diet. See a doctor if this continues, Jaundice is very serious.
    I eat a very high protein diet- lots of chicken, fish, steaks etc, and a lot of supplements. I think my safest bet will be to see a doctor.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    Would definitely go to doctor. Could also be a sign of deficiency like B12, which could be a possibility since you've lost weight so rapidly.
  • Jordant107
    Options
    Would definitely go to doctor. Could also be a sign of deficiency like B12, which could be a possibility since you've lost weight so rapidly.
    What kind of things have B12 in them- what should I take to increase my consumption of the nutrient??
    Would a high sodium intake affect anything?!?!
  • AssembledIncorrectly
    Options
    What kind of things have B12 in them- what should I take to increase my consumption of the nutrient??
    Would a high sodium intake affect anything?!?!

You can buy b12 supplements