Need advice from runners!

Options
Last weekend, I did my first 10K. This weekend (the 22nd) I am doing another 5K that is more fun. Now my question is, will I be able to run a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks (May 6th)? My friend is doing it and her goal is to get under 3 hours which is 14 min mile. Just didn't know if I was being a bit too ambitious. Thoughts?

Replies

• Stazed
    Stazed Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    How often are you running and how long for? How did you feel after 10k and what was your time? How competitive are you?
    I would say if you re new ish to running it might be over ambitious but equally if our determined and competitive go for it!
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    well a Half is more than twice the distance of a 10k so if you enjoy 5k more im assuming your not going to enjoy the half very much either i would get more accustomed to running distance before knocking out a half
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    From what you've written I'd agree and say it's too soon. The jump for 10k to half is a much bigger challenge than 5k to 10k.

You should follow a training plan over 8 - 12 weeks and increase your distance by about 10% each week. Too big an increase runs the risk of injury.

I did a half in 2009 in 2 hr30 min - right on my target, but I found that 10k is a much better distance for me as the commitment to train isn't as significant.

Good luck, there's loads of training plans out there and all offer a good steady progress up to a half.
  • creature275
    creature275 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I agree with welton here, increase distance in small amounts to avoid injury also once you start getting into running 13.1 miles your going to have to read up a lot on hydration and carb loading techniques or your in for a bad day, I ran my last half in 1hr 25 minutes not bad but now its all about the full marathon but that skip is huge its taken me years of training to confidently go into a full
  • ChinaLexie
    ChinaLexie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would be wary of jumping from a 10K to a half-marathon! The injuries you could acquire from jumping to high mileage in a short amount of time is not worth it. Sure, you may be JUST fine, but on the other hand, you could risk shin splints, knee pain and other nagging injuries that are hard to get rid of. (Trust me on this...) :) I would say keep that in your sights, but maybe not as close as your current sight.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It is ambitious, but you can do it, just make sure your legs are well rested before you run the half, Good luck to you and remember slow and steady wins the race.
  • monindro
    monindro Posts: 3
    Options
    you probably can but you shouldn't .
    join the marathon when u can do without much difficulty-
    12 x 3 times/ week + 21. km on sunday
    you should join the half when u can do it in 2 hr 30 minutes.

but if u just want the title of completion u can probably jay walk half the distance ! lol
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    you probably can but you shouldn't .
    I would be wary of jumping from a 10K to a half-marathon! The injuries you could acquire from jumping to high mileage in a short amount of time is not worth it.
    I agree with welton here, increase distance in small amounts to avoid injury
    From what you've written I'd agree and say it's too soon. The jump for 10k to half is a much bigger challenge than 5k to 10k.

You should follow a training plan over 8 - 12 weeks and increase your distance by about 10% each week. Too big an increase runs the risk of injury.

I'm detecting a theme here........
  • believeandtry
    believeandtry Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @ stazed i don't run but i do crosstraining throughout the week with short distance running added in (I do these workout about 4-5 times a week). After my 10K i felt great! My time was 1:15 without training and lots of walking. I could have walked less but my friend kept stopping and I was there to motivate her every step! I am no that competitive per say :D

thank you everyone for your advice! I think although I can probably run/walk it, it is safe to not do that as there is a chance I can hurt myself! I think running the 10K just made me excited about runs, but 6 miles is probably more manageable than 13! Thank you for your advice and I will make sure to train properly and run a halfie!