help

Options
Ah i need help here.How can i put on a pound on my 2nd week when i did more exercise and kept within my calorie intake.Its very disheartening after losing 4 lb last week.I know i am not going to lose anything like that any other week,but i was hoping for a lb at least.Please help me i,m not gonna give up yet i,ll give it another couple of weeks.

Replies

• mdp1965
    mdp1965 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Definitely don't give up! Sound like you have done lots of exercise - muscle weighs 3 times heavier than fat I think, so whilst you have probably lost in terms of measurement, maybe not in weight. I measure myself each week too...waist, hips, arms, thighs etc which is always reasuring if you have a week where you don't lose any weight.
    4 lbs in first week is awesome, I've never lost that amount in one week in my life so you are doing brilliantly! :smile:
  • magsue
    magsue Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that,its just very frustrating.First week i got it hard to use all my calories on weekdays....this week i have no problem could do with more.I will just have to keep going and hope for the best!!
  • jrae219
    jrae219 Posts: 4
    Options
    weight loss is really weird sometimes. once i gained 3 pounds one week, and then lost 5 pounds the next. just keep eating healthy and exercising, and your goals will come in time :)
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Keep going the body is just weird I once lost 3lbs one gained them back and then lost 6 the next week. It is disheartening but the worst thing you can do is give up. Keep going. It will work itself out I promise xx
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Don't panic and stay with it I think you always lose more on your first week than you will on a weekly basis, and as they have said above muscle weighs more than fat if you are excersising more I am sure it will settle down if you keep with it weight can be affected by a lot of different factors and can go up an down anyway, but sometimes the differences we notice are clothes fitting better, more energy etc. Good luck.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    i agree with the other posters. think long term. let you body get adjusted. give it a few months or just two and if it doesn't get better take another look at the types of foods you are eating, shaking up the types of exercise you do, zig zag, cheat days, water intake.

I'm not saying to do those things, they are options that work for different people here. search the forums.

but i wouldn't do that for a few months. you are doing the right things based on your op so just give it time to work. measure youself, think about how your clothes fit and if you look different. it isn't all about the scale.

good luck. :wink:
  • Amy_nz
    Amy_nz Posts: 145
    Options
    Don't 'give it another couple of weeks' - if you're doing things right (eating the calories you need to and exercising sensibly) then it will work. Giving it an ultimatum of a couple of weeks won't make it work more.

Weight fluctuates like you wouldn't believe. I don't take the scales very seriously at all - I measure myself, but only once a month. For me, I know I can't possibly be less healthy than I was before - I know damn well that I'm healthier. Whether or not the scales tell me that is neither here nor there. I weigh myself frequently, but I take each weight with a grain of salt. Once I've weighed at roughly the same a couple of times I log it. Until then, I pay attention to the weight range rather than the exact weight. On that basis, you're doing blardy well!
  • Zarienz
    Zarienz Posts: 60
    Options
    A bit of patience and perserverance will see you through.
  • MarincicS
    MarincicS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me you could definitely add a bit of weight at first as you are building muscle and that you could also tend to "bulk up" a bit in the beginning. But it should be a good sign - as long as you are pretty sure you are estimating your calories properly and not kidding yourself (weigh and measure everything! Most of us lost the plot on what an actual 'serving' is.), you will definitely come right!

Good luck and hang in there!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Don't panic - it was water weight. To put on 1lb of fat you have to have eaten 3,500 calories in excess of maintenance. Weight, especially for women, can really fluctuate, Also, if you are excersing more, your muscle will be retaining more water - which may be the reason for the additional water weight - or it could be a myriad of other reason (higher sodium TOM etc etc).

EDIT to add: the scale is an evil thing.....make sure you take measurements, especially if you are strength training.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Don't 'give it another couple of weeks' - if you're doing things right (eating the calories you need to and exercising sensibly) then it will work. Giving it an ultimatum of a couple of weeks won't make it work more.

Weight fluctuates like you wouldn't believe. I don't take the scales very seriously at all - I measure myself, but only once a month. For me, I know I can't possibly be less healthy than I was before - I know damn well that I'm healthier. Whether or not the scales tell me that is neither here nor there. I weigh myself frequently, but I take each weight with a grain of salt. Once I've weighed at roughly the same a couple of times I log it. Until then, I pay attention to the weight range rather than the exact weight. On that basis, you're doing blardy well!

^^^ this...the most important thing for this journey is patience. The scale will go up and down but just stick with it. this does not need to be a 2 week thing, it needs to be a lifestyle change. Once you get into the journey you will desire it :-)...
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    I agree dont take the scales too literally make sure you measure and you will feel your clothes feeling looser. Women especially fluctuate like crazy over the month. keep up your water intake it seems silly we mention water weight but actually drinking more flushes water out. But most important keep on your journey get disheartened but dont give up it will be all worth it in the end.
  • good2bthaking
    good2bthaking Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    stick with it! I am sure we have all gone through what you are right now. It takes time and perseverance. You are making a lifestyle change and it takes time. I don't get too wrapped around the axle over numbers. You will start to feel better and the clothes will fit better. Hang in there and feel free to add me as a friend if you want support. If not, this site has some awesome people on it who have great advice and knowledge and are very encouraging and motivating. Best of luck to you.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you are retaining water most likely. if it were that easy to gain muscle then somebody builders wouldnt need to take steroids.

unless you've eaten 3500 calories over your maintenance then you havent gained fat. just stick with what you're doing and your body will catch up. in the meantime you might want to resist the urge to weight yourself everyday
  • Girlwithnoname77
    Girlwithnoname77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck in this place right now but you know what, I am confident that I am doing the right things and that the results will happen. Water retention, salt intake, dumb (evil as previously put) scales etc ... lots of reasons for this silliness. It will happen, maybe not overnight but it will happen!!! Hang in there, stay on the right path, and it will happen ... that's what I am telling myself too, btw :)