losing my mind ....please help

Options
So I've been trying to lose weight the past few years but lazily so...have lost 20 pounds or so. I'm activley trying to now to get ready for summer and vacations, and I hate what I see when I look in the mirror, everything is jiggly and lose and gross looking. My issue is what kind of diet should I be doing....I'm so overwhelmed with all the info. I've looked into low carb and south beach, which failed after a couple of days, looked into paleo which I'm not sure I can do either, or just eating as healthy as I can but counting calories. I don't know what to do anymore and it's so frusturating because I've actually put a couple of pounds on....because I get so frusturated and say "eff it" and eat what I want. I don't know what to do with myself! And I just worked out the other day and now I'm so sore I can barely sit and also somehow injured my knee so that I can barely bend it...so yeah I'm out of commission with working out for a few days I guess. I'm to the point I feel like I should just close down my account and toss out all my diet books and workout dvd's and just live my life, but I desperatley want to lose 20 pounds and just be a thin person for once in my life. Sorry for the long post.

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I think throwing out the diet books is probably the best thing you could ever do.

It's a lifestyle change that you are looking for not a diet. So track your calories, see where the big OOPs are and have less of them.

As far as being jiggly, do strength training.

It takes some time, 20 lbs isn't just going to drop off you, especially if you have been doing this for awhile. It's totally an attainable goal though. Stick with it!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    If you give up you will never be where you want to be. I would say don't follow the fads. Go to fat2fit and find out what your BMR is. This will tell you what not to eat below. Thats what you need if you are in a coma. Set up your goals so you are eating that, and start walking. Slowly add in more exercise. It is a long journey and lots of work. You didn't gain it in a week it will not come off in a week. It is hard to stick to fad diets. Lets face it for most of us it does not fit in with the grocery bill or the life style. So make an effort to watch sodium content, fat content and keep your carbs lower. Try to drink your 8 glasses of water and be mindful of snacking. Good luck!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Start simple by managing portion control,and if necessary, a calorie controlled diet. then add light exercises to your daily/weekly routine. see how that goes...then adjust the type of food that you get your calories from. Ask yourself if your workouts are too demanding or not demanding enough...and adjust accordingly.Also add exercise that you ENJOY, too... Look at your nutrition again and optimise it to give you the right fuel for your workouts.

There are a ton of marketing handles attached to almost any diet you can think of...but believe me when I tell you this...no marketing person in a suit knows your body,your health ambitions and your limits than you do.

Stick at a plan and change it as you need to....and make sure you continue to respect your health long after the 20lbs have vanished!

Good luck!!
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    Keep counting your calories. And if you are over 30 do some research on Peak 8 training. It is long education process but worth the research. Good Luck!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think throwing out the diet books is probably the best thing you could ever do......

Sound advice, be patient and think long term healthy changes rather than a specific "diet". Many of them will result in fairly rapid weight loss but the majority of people who go on them just end up on a weight loss / gain roller coaster. Eat better, move more & lift some weights.
  • locolew
    locolew Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Always make a better choice, eventually you will win.
  • jlanz10
    jlanz10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ive tried alot of the diets out there too...Nothing works for me like counting calories...It gives you the chance to eat what you want, in moderation, so you dont always feel deprived, and then go off the deep end...Lol...Certain things seem to work for certain people, but I think counting calories is something that you can maintain forever, if need be...You can eat all sorts of food, so your body wont be lacking in any certain area...I thot Id never be able to lose weight at my age, but with MFP Im doing great...Give it a try...It also motivates you to exercise more...Good luck!!!
  • huntingforhipbones
    Options
    I think throwing out the diet books is probably the best thing you could ever do.

It's a lifestyle change that you are looking for not a diet. So track your calories, see where the big OOPs are and have less of them.

It takes some time, 20 lbs isn't just going to drop off you, especially if you have been doing this for awhile. It's totally an attainable goal though. Stick with it!

Seconded - you need to find the way of eating that's right for YOU. I have to eat low-carb because of PCOS, whereas other people might do better on high-carb low-fat, Atkins ... whatever. Eat what your body wants in moderation! :)
  • Knowledge228
    Options
    I feel the same exact way! I am having the exact problems. I have tried low carb, which I stuck to for about 2 weeks, but eventually fell off the wagon, and I ended up gaining 3 lbs on it, so now I know that low carb is not for me. I am trying to just eat healthy and work out. As far as working out, I enjoy it. I was doing strength training 5-6 days a week and also cardio. But, I injured both my knees recently (I fell down the stairs) so I have dr.s orders to swim only. I am very discouraged. Hope that you get back on track.
  • KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    Don't give up I know it can be difficult at times, I lost all my weight and was there, my doctors put me on some meds and bam the side effect was gaining weight and made me gain 25 pounds which caused me to get depressed etc..but I am back at it myself.. Diets can be difficult I am about to go to bed but I can email you the one that I was on when I lost 40+ pounds. if you like and if you want can add me. I add blogs and tips and be video taping some routines to help others.. Don't give up though, cause if you do then it will just get worse and be harder. You can do it stay positive and people will help you... quitting is never a good answer, and won't solve the problem.. lets work together and can make your goal come true.

and those fad diets out there.. are usually a bad choice most will help you lose weight for a short time and once you go off of them you will gain all the weight back. I will help you if you want. just let me know message me/add me if you like.
  • Marilyn19A
    Options
    When I read your topic just now i thought - "I could have written this"! I empathise with everything you've said as my whole adult life has been a battle of the bulge, and even though I'm not overly obese i do feel uncomfortable with myself in all respects at the moment. Iam 2 stone overwieght and could kick myself because I had lost a stone of that a year ago and then regained it purely through over indulgence in the nice foods of life and having been unable to do much in the way of aerobics or cardio exercise due to the painful onset of osteoarthritis.
    I had also lost my willpower to tackle the weight gain problem, until a close friend of mine introduced me to this website over Easter. She had only just started it and I was fascinated to see how simple it is to log my input and realised there was no sense in cheating myself as I was the only one who wouldn't benefit.
    I've filled in the Food log and Exercise (not that there's anything but walking the dog on there!) truthfully and have been amazed to see how simple it is to keep a track of what goes into my mouth. It's also inspired or reminded me to drink more water, which has always been a trouble area with me.
    I've lost just 2 lb in the week but I'm pleased with that and will continue.
    All I can tell you is that for all the "fad" diets out there (and I've done several of them in my life) the only true way to lose weight and maintain it is to keep an eye on your daily calorie intake. You need to eat healthily and plentifully, but learn to say "No" to the items that will take you back into the "gain" category. To do this until you reach an easy goal that you set for yourself is the only true way to do it.
    Regain your willpower, set yourself an attainable goal to start off with (not the whole lot at once) and take it a step at a time. The other replies on here are all about the same pointers, so get in the mindset and just take it a stage at a time.
    Yes, chuck out the fad diet books, but keep the recipes books that tell you what calories are in a meal.

p.s. I did Atkins (along with my husband and grown up daughter) a few years ago and the results were amazing; we all regained the weight as soon as we stopped the diet and then piled on even more;the workings our bodies are like the mechanics of a car and don't like to be fiddled with - a bit like putting petrol in a diesel engine.

I'm wishing you everything you need to regain the inspiration to do it for YOU.
  • paulhird
    paulhird Posts: 1
    Options
    It's all about calories in versus calories out - burn more than you consume each day and you will lose weight. That's why myfitnesspal is so great in my opinion. It takes the guesswork out of losing weight and makes it all so tangible. But don't be in too much of a rush to lose it or you will probably fail. No more than 1 pound per week is best in my opinion. I'm 59 and have lost 19 pounds in as many weeks. I've never had success like this before - and importantly I know how I did it and how to keep it up. It makes it much easier to stay within your daily calorie goal if you take some moderate exercise though. If you can't go to the gym, go for a walk for an hour or so - that way you can earn extra calories.
  • KGFitnessGuru
    Options
    everyone FYI Fad Diets out there are mostly bad for you, most you will find will work but they tell you bad ways to lose the weight. Once you get off of them you will gain the weight back and most likely will gain more.. Eat healthy make smart choices and the amounts you choose all play a factor and will work.

keep the weight off by knowing what your body needs as fuel. Knowing how your body reacts to things plays a big part, and understand how your body works with foods. carbs/grains/healthy fats/ etc all play a big role