Mushroom sodium fears. Help?

Options
I started counting sodium and fiber today out of curiosity and I noticed how freaking high-sodium mushrooms are. It's freaking me out a bit because they're often my go-to snack/dinner. I heard that sodium retains water weight really bad and I was wondering that if I eat a lot of mushrooms am I not going to see any progress on the scale? :/ Any help would be great.

Also, I go over on fiber almost every day because I eat so much oatmeal and vegetables being vegetarian. Fiber is good right? Is it hard to have too much fiber?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think the entry you're using for mushrooms is insanely wrong. It's higher if you use canned than fresh, but that goes for just about all vegetables.
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/97554-fresh-vs-canned-mushrooms

Here's an older thread I found about mushrooms and sodium.
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think the entry you're using for mushrooms is insanely wrong. It's higher if you use canned than fresh, but that goes for just about all vegetables.
    I'm using fresh. o: Canned mushrooms gross me out. Too slippery. But I sure hope that entry is wrong...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Most mushrooms have less mg of sodium than calories. I think whoever entered the entry you used had a bad case of clumsy thumbsy. ;)
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's canned. search for fresh mushrooms.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a lot of veggies, I think you shouldn't have to worry about sodium too much. It can make you retain some water if you are consistently overdoing it, but a high veggie diet shouldn't be too high in sodium by nature.

It's definitely okay to go over in fiber, as long as your tummy is happy. Lots of fiber can cause gas/discomfort for some people but on the whole it's a great thing to have in one's diet. I've never heard of "too much" being a nutritional problem. It helps your GI tract run smoothly, and I've had multiple doctors recommend high fiber diets.
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I agree, you must have a canned one or someone messed up. Fresh mushrooms are super low in sodium (and, yes, WAY better than the canned ones, tastewise). Here's a link to calorieking for fresh mushrooms.
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-mushrooms-white-raw-edible-portion_f-ZmlkPTcxMDU2.html
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i just looked at the database. I use Raw Mushroom as my entry. I add mushrooms to my eggs all the time . I/2 cup of raw mushrooms is only 3 mg of sodium. Thats pretty low!

Keep eating the lovely fungus!
  • veggieshark
    veggieshark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I agree, you must have a canned one or someone messed up. Fresh mushrooms are super low in sodium (and, yes, WAY better than the canned ones, tastewise). Here's a link to calorieking for fresh mushrooms.
    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/calories-in-fresh-or-dried-vegetables-mushrooms-white-raw-edible-portion_f-ZmlkPTcxMDU2.html
    Thank you very much! Yeah, something seemed funny. I think I want to go make mushrooms and zucchini now.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I eat no salt added canned but only the regular canned ones have a ton. I use fresh for salads and I know they aren't high in sodium. I try to get 30 grams of fiber per day I don't get an uncomfortable tummy as long as it is combined with all healthy food. Ion fact I have LESS gas because I'm more regular so I think fiber is good!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Here are the numbers for fresh mushrooms:

Fresh - White Mushroom - Raw, Sliced, 1 cup:
    Calories 15, Sodium 4 mg

And here's the entry you've been using:

Great Value - Sliced Mushrooms, 1 cup:
    Calories 60, Sodium 1100 mg

Not only do they add a lot of salt in canning, it looks like they're cooked down quite a bit so they have four times as many calories. (Still not a lot though since they have so few calories to start with!)