What to do after overeating?

Options
Yesterday I went over my goal by about 500 calories after getting carried away with chocolate covered strawberries. Should I eat 500 less today, 200 less for the next three days, or just go about eating normally?

Replies

• ler2665
    ler2665 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I could never eat 500 under in a day! I go for an extra walk and try to stay a little under for the next 3 days or so. By the end of the week, I always average out right around my goal.
  • reneev575
    Options
    just move on, it happens! and don't beat yourself up over 1 bad day.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Yep. Just go about your week like normal. Maybe exercise on a day you don't usually or do 10 extra minutes a day. One day is not going to throw off your whole week and if you're going by MFPs calculations, the loss is already figured in. So if you went over 500, depending on how much you calculated to lose per week, you probably just broke even.
  • kobashi
    kobashi Posts: 164
    Options
    just move on, it happens! and don't beat yourself up over 1 bad day.

It happens sometimes. When it happens to me, I usually try to increase my work out the next day. It will make you think twice before overeating again though. :)
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    just move on. don't try and make it up the next day. it will only lead to sabotage. I agree if you went over just today and were under other days, you probably break even. this is why I go by a weekly calorie goal instead of a daily.
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    *snip*
    this is why I go by a weekly calorie goal instead of a daily.

This. Pounds are lost by the week, not by the day, so why "diet" like they are?
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    shoot Easter weekend I went over by 200 calories on Saturday and 600 on Sunday (darn chocolate eggs!) I just refocused on Monday and kept on going. I usually allow a little indulgence every day to try and prevent this kind of excess, but sometimes it happens. Don't beat yourself up, just get back on track and as Dory from Finding Nemo says, "Just keep swimming."
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get over it move on. Life is not perfect.
  • seeeekret
    seeeekret Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
    I just updates my weight loss plan from losing 1lb per week (at about 1700 calories a day) to 2lbs a week (about 1400 a day, lightly active), so it'll all balance out and I'll be back on track to losing weight for my graduation.
    Thanks again!
  • normanmac
    normanmac Posts: 34
    Options
    Isn't that reality? Take 2 walks today....exercise 20 minutes longer....don't beat yourself up over it....use it as a learning experience.....be nice to yourself this is a learning process
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Today is a new day, start fresh!
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    *snip*

Hm - not sure about this. My opinion is: if you screw up once, why screw up twice?

If your optimal nutrition is 1500 calories per day, for example, and on Monday you eat 2000 calories, then on Tuesday you eat 1000 calories, then you missed your mark twice. I'm not saying there isn't some advantage to zigzagging your calories. I'm saying: your goal is to hit 1500 per day. Don't chase bad money with good money. Don't punish yourself with a second bad day.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Go for a long walk, jog, or other exercise. Keep eating.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry much about it, because your set to a 500cal def a day. So you broke even, I wouldn't eat less the next to days to 5-10 more min of exercise a day and you will more then make up for it.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Fit some exercise in during the week if you're not already, if so just go about your week normally and be good for rest of the days :). We all slip up and its okay. Also depending on where your calories are set, sometimes going over doesn't mean you'll gain weight, it just means you'll lose it a bit more slowly so don't worry!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine! Today is a new day and besides, upping your calories once in a while helps with weight loss. I know it sounds wrong but it works! Eat normally today!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I agree. Don't try to compensate for an overage the next day. Just go back to your regular program and stick to eating 95% healthy. Once you reach your goal weight there will probably be days when you splurge. Learning to get back to normal and stay on track is a skill that will help you.
    Good Luck!
  • AllTehBeers
    Options
    *snip*

Hm - not sure about this. My opinion is: if you screw up once, why screw up twice?

If your optimal nutrition is 1500 calories per day, for example, and on Monday you eat 2000 calories, then on Tuesday you eat 1000 calories, then you missed your mark twice. I'm not saying there isn't some advantage to zigzagging your calories. I'm saying: your goal is to hit 1500 per day. Don't chase bad money with good money. Don't punish yourself with a second bad day.

You're using an exteme example. First, I wouldn't eat only 1000 calories. Second, I meant its about balance. You even yourself out over the week, not in a single day. If you eat 2000 one day, either eat 1450 over the next few days or put in an extra work out for the week.
  • healthylifewealthylife
    Options
    Yesterday is gone,yes there will be some slip ups,just don't stay there,start brand new today.If there is something that makes me want to just go nuts,that will impede my progress,I don't bring it in.I hope you celebrate even your smallest steps,but realize it trully is a committment to yourself.It is a wonderful thing when you start seeing progress,stay focused,don't let anything or anyone steal your dreams!It is good to put up pictures of where you ar trying to go.It heps a lot.Keep moving forward,believe in yourself and know that living healthy is the best life,besides your enery will skyrocket!
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Just carry on as normal today eating to your normal calorie goal.