Am I eat enough calories?

Options
I have my settings show that I am active as I work out 6 days a week (6 days cardio & I add weights in there on 3 days) for at least 60 minutes. MFP shows my calories should be 1420, but when I use the Fat 2 Fit Radio I should be eating 2305 calories. I am so confused. If I use the Fat 2 Fit Radio, what should my other settings be? I have 21 pds to go to my goal weight.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Replies

• mclausen1
    Options
    I think MFP leans towards the too few calories side.
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    I think MFP leans towards the too few calories side.
    I agree. MFP tells me to eat the least out of the few other sites I've used.

My suggestion is to change your setting to sedentary/lightly active (depending on your normal daily activities) and enter all of your exercises separately. This will give a more accurate picture of how many calories you burn in a day.
  • AliciaNorris81
    AliciaNorris81 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My issue is I CAN'T eat enough calories without eating junk. I have tried. I don't eat breads or pasta due to gluten issues. So when I do eat it is usually veggies, fruits, and proteins. I can't seem to get above the 1000 mark, no matter what I do. MFP keeps telling me "You need to eat more calories".

How do I do this without eating junk food? I guess I could try a big old fruit smoothie. :/
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    My issue is I CAN'T eat enough calories without eating junk. I have tried. I don't eat breads or pasta due to gluten issues. So when I do eat it is usually veggies, fruits, and proteins. I can't seem to get above the 1000 mark, no matter what I do. MFP keeps telling me "You need to eat more calories".

How do I do this without eating junk food? I guess I could try a big old fruit smoothie. :/

Can't you just make a gluten free breads/muffins etc? using pre packaged gluten free flours or those that you blend yourself? My cousin is both diabetic and has celiac's, but when she came to stay with me I just replaced all our regular gluten foods with the gluten free variety. There are heaps of things available in supermarkets and health stores. That could help you reach you calorie goal.
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Eat 1420 and eat back you exercise calories
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I really doubt MFP would tell you to eat 1420 calories if you're working out that much. You realize you're supposed to eat all the calories you burn when you work out, right?
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options

Try adding nuts of any type. They are higher in calories per serving and have a lot of good benefits for you.
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Options

A big old fruit smoothy is just more of the same lighter fare you're eating currently. I would suggest more calorie dense foods: nuts, avocados, peanut butter, cheese, healthy fats. Oh, and the gluten free options someone else already mentioned.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Nuts. Cheeses. Potatoes. I like brie on almond thin crackers (a lot. . .I had wayyyyy too much last night but it was worth every calorie).
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Butter wrapped in bacon.
  • maureen173
    maureen173 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely fruit smoothies (or "green smoothies" - go to www.rawfamily.com for recipes). But I eat really healthy and don't eat gluten either, but I still seem to go right up to the limit of my net calories because I eat things like lots of olive oil, tahini, walnuts, peanuts, dates, figs. You could probably up your calories just by adding more olive oil (I was shocked to find out it had 120 calories per TBSP!). Amazing for you though, so you wouldn't be eating junk. Good luck!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have my settings show that I am active as I work out 6 days a week (6 days cardio & I add weights in there on 3 days) for at least 60 minutes. MFP shows my calories should be 1420, but when I use the Fat 2 Fit Radio I should be eating 2305 calories. I am so confused. If I use the Fat 2 Fit Radio, what should my other settings be? I have 21 pds to go to my goal weight.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

MFP is also assuming you are going to eat back your exercise calories as part of your deficit. I bumped myself up from 4 days 30 minutes a day, to 6 days 60 minutes a day to reflect my true workouts and it dropped me from 1870 to 1770 (i suspect it also never adjusted for my weight loss even though I told it too) but with my workout calories I'm at 2200-2300 a day, I bet with yours you would be too.
  • rhe276
    rhe276 Posts: 46
    Options
    Butter wrapped in bacon.

If only.........lol
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Can anyone help?

Thanks

If you use Fat 2 Fit, just adjust your MFP setting to be 2305. Then don't eat back your exercise calories--only eat 2305.

If you use MFP, you need to log in your exercise. You say you are doing cardio 6 days a week, but that's not reflected in your diary. If you logged it, MFP would give you additional calories to eat each day. Eat all of them.
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options

Can anyone help?

Thanks

If you use Fat 2 Fit, just adjust your MFP setting to be 2305. Then don't eat back your exercise calories--only eat 2305.

If you use MFP, you need to log in your exercise. You say you are doing cardio 6 days a week, but that's not reflected in your diary. If you logged it, MFP would give you additional calories to eat each day. Eat all of them.

This - you have to consider what you are inputting also. The calorie number you're given includes a deficit dependent on what you have put as your expected weight loss ... I'm betting you've got that at the highest? I think it's 2lbs loss is the highest. That number is also a net number so you have to eat more if you work out to get your net to the number MFP has given you.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I am a type 2 diabetic and eat gluten free pasta and bread which I get from the store or you can make your own bread... I am currently eating 3200-3400 calories a day and have no problem hitting that mark... You need to introduce some good fats into your diet... I eat both Almonds and Pistachios daily that account for 600-700 calories of my daily intake.. kashi makes a host of very good products that are calorie dense but very good for you... I also drink 1% Milk (just 2 cups) is 300 calories.... Those are just a few things you may added to help get you some more.....