Wheat free but weaker- anyone else experience this?

Options
ozo27
ozo27 Posts: 25 Member
For starters- thanks for taking the time to read my long winded post :wink:

About 2 weeks ago I cut out wheat and replaced my pastas with brown rice pasta or quinoa pasta, etc. I also replaced my flours with things like brown rice flour, coconut flours, even quinoa flour. This way I can still enjoy things like pancakes, muffins, etc if I am ever inclined to do so. My main goal right now is to shrink my waistline and therefore I must reduce total body fat. Wheat being a high GI food was about the only thing left in my diet that could be possibly hindering me from my goal.

However since making these dietary changes, I noticed that I get really shaky and weak during my high intensity trainings. Also post-strength workouts I feel much weaker than I did before cutting out wheat. It's really making it harder for me to finish a workout or even want to start one. On the flip side I have experienced some great benefits like totally losing sweet cravings, or cravings for unhealthy junky or processed/food in general- almost like a general curb in appetite has occurred. Also I no longer experience energy dips like when coming off a sugar high- my energy just seems to stay at one medium level all day.

Anyone else experience weakness when working out with removing wheat from diet? If so were you able to remedy it and how? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Huh. Sorry, not at all. I was so sick on wheat that I feel much, much better now.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    How much of a deficit are you in? You could be under fueled for HIIT.
  • ozo27
    Options
    Huh. Sorry, not at all. I was so sick on wheat that I feel much, much better now.

Hello- not sure if u were able to read the whole post (i know its long :blushing: ) but how do you fuel your workouts? That's my issue since cutting out wheat.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Yeah how many calories are you eating?

When people cut out entire food groups their caloric intake usually goes down with it. Are you still maintaining the same caloric intake?
  • ozo27
    Options

Thats what I thought but I haven't changed caloric intake or anything else, only made the wheat substitutions- but just to be sure I will do I double check- thanks for the tip.
  • msbelinda
    Options
    I think you need to increase your healthy fat and protein if you're feeling weak, since wheat is turned into sugar (especially when it's white flour) in your gut pretty quickly, and isn't the likely culprit of your low energy. Unless you are experiencing wheat withdrawals, and I've known some people who have sworn they have...

What if you have some almonds and yoghurt before and after a workout? And/or a protein shake? A Ryvita smeared with 1/4 of an Avocado? Something that's got low-GI, high quality calories?

ETA: I'm low-wheat in my diet, only have it probably once a week (a slice or two of bread, or a serving of pasta).
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Thats what I thought but I haven't changed caloric intake or anything else, only made the wheat substitutions- but just to be sure I will do I double check- thanks for the tip.

Are you eating enough carbs?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any allergy to wheat, there's really no reason to remove it.

Glycemic index is not a valid premise for weight loss. I would encourage you to read this and also read Acg67's post on it on MFP (I can't find it, does anyone have the link?)

To be clear, I'm posting this to hopefully give you some dietary freedom. You may be making food eliminations on false premises.

http://alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html
  • ozo27
    Options

Are you eating enough carbs?

Hey beckajw- great point, I realize now the subs probably have a different carb content, I will check and adjust- thanks for the tip, it was silly of me to miss this :-)
  • ozo27
    Options
    I think you need to increase your healthy fat and protein if you're feeling weak, since wheat is turned into sugar (especially when it's white flour) in your gut pretty quickly, and isn't the likely culprit of your low energy. Unless you are experiencing wheat withdrawals, and I've known some people who have sworn they have...

What if you have some almonds and yoghurt before and after a workout? And/or a protein shake? A Ryvita smeared with 1/4 of an Avocado? Something that's got low-GI, high quality calories?

ETA: I'm low-wheat in my diet, only have it probably once a week (a slice or two of bread, or a serving of pasta).

Hey msbelinda- what do you eat on a low wheat diet to fuel your workouts? my fat and protein intakes are good so I dont want to make them higher than they're supposed to be but I think you're right that I need somethin low GI but high quality carbs. also what is wheat withdrawal? is it supposed to be a bad thing?
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have to low carb because I'm T2 diabetic. If you have seriously dropped your carb count you want to up your protein, fat and sodium. What worked with carbs does not work when you are low carb.

Honestly, if I didn't have a medical condition I would eat differently than I do now. Maybe you just need to be more aware of the quality and quantity of carbs that you are eating than to worry so much about wheat specifically.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any allergy to wheat, there's really no reason to remove it.

Glycemic index is not a valid premise for weight loss. I would encourage you to read this and also read Acg67's post on it on MFP (I can't find it, does anyone have the link?)

To be clear, I'm posting this to hopefully give you some dietary freedom. You may be making food eliminations on false premises.

http://alanaragon.com/elements-challenging-the-validity-of-the-glycemic-index.html

Nice post sidesteal!

OP - do you just not eat obvious wheat products like bread / pasta, or do you check every package for wheat gluten?? If not you will still be eating some!!
    There is no weight loss advantage to cutting out wheat / gluten unless you have a medical reason to do so. My sister is coeliac and I am half diagnosed, I don't see why anyone would cut out wheat or gluten unless you have to !
    Cutting out wheat when not medically advised to do so can actually cause you to be more sensitive to it, so a short term wheat free 'diet' could result in you HAVING to be wheat or gluten free for life!

It might make you make healthier choices, however this can be done just as well without needing to cut out wheat, there are millions of people who have successfully reduced bf while eating wheat!
  • ozo27
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the input!!! especially to those who actually answered the question double thanks. Just wanted to see if people were experiencing this personally before I talked to my medical professors about it.

Umm Sidesteal- not that I believe everything that I've learned in medical school but I will say the GI is a good indicator of changes in blood sugar (good not perfect)- I checked out the website you posted bcuz I love to keep an open mind but not sure about the credibility of it. You should check out the mayo clinic website or even NIH studies on it.

Thanks everyone this was my 1st post on MFP I was super nervous but you guys have been kind and helpful.
  • AdiposeRapture
    Options
    Ello- gluten free here. *VERY sensitive to gluten*
    When I stopped eating gluten a year ago, I got SOOOOOOOO ill. Withdrawals big time. After a period of time, I started eating lots of eggs cheese and peanut butter and felt so much better. Gluten is a protein and even though it's not in eggs, chicken and pb, those proteins seemed to help satisfy that gluten need my body had.

Hit me up anytime for gluten related business :P
  • ozo27
    Options
    Ello- gluten free here. *VERY sensitive to gluten*
    When I stopped eating gluten a year ago, I got SOOOOOOOO ill. Withdrawals big time. After a period of time, I started eating lots of eggs cheese and peanut butter and felt so much better. Gluten is a protein and even though it's not in eggs, chicken and pb, those proteins seemed to help satisfy that gluten need my body had.

Hit me up anytime for gluten related business :P

Thanks for the info and invite, I will definitely take you up on that :-)
  • btorgy
    btorgy Posts: 2
    Options
    Since cutting out wheat I feel so much better and have never experienced being weak. I do fuel up with protein before and after a workout. I would recommend 'Lose the wheat, Lose the weight". It is written by John Davis a cardiologist and you would not believe the evils of wheat!

Cutting out wheat for me has eliminated my binge eating, no joint pain, no dips in energy and I am much more physical than I was when eating wheat because now I feel like doing something!
  • chrissyrn04
    chrissyrn04 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I definately think you should consider increaseing your protein - even if it says you are taking more than encouraged to do... see if it makes you feel better and less shakey. I am only on my first week of wheat free but am training for a marathon and have not noticed any issues with my stamina or the level of my workouts. I do take in alot of protein though. I also use Gu energy gels during my longer workouts which helps quite a bit.

I agree with a previous poster - going wheat free (so far) has completely eliminated my desire to binge eat.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    opposite affect for me. but then again i cut out wheat because of allergies.

i never have any issues of not having enough energy to finish my HIIT sessions or any other workout sessions. but that could also be because i like doing much of my training fasted so my body is used to making due with what it has to get through whatever i put it through