How is your confidence?

Options
TheFitHooker
TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
Those who have lost all their weight or has lost quite a bit, how is your confidence lately? Has it gotten a lot better?

I've noticed that for me it took awhile but it's getting there. I'm a lot more comfortable around people and in shorter things. I can wear things I have never been able to before, some of those things I won't wear because I don't think I should, but other things I proudly wear like mini skirts lol.

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I went from being thin young and cocky to older fat and more mature. Now that the weight is coming off I do feel much better about the way I look. Not really sure how it effects my confidence though in the real world. Here it is easier to post a shirtless pic because it is acceptable on a site like this.

I am planning on a lot of yard work this weekend and before I would always wear a shirt outside. I was wondering if I would go without one and it still seems like a big step to me.
  • jamlastsforages
    Options
    Personally, I think my self-confidence has taken a turn for the better. Before I used to just loathe looking at the mirror. Nowadays when I pass the mirrors at home, I keep lifting up my shirt to check out the slight dips in my tummy that weren't there before. I'm turning into a narcissistic little twerp. Haha.
  • jamlastsforages
    Options
    I went from being thin young and cocky to older fat and more mature. Now that the weight is coming off I do feel much better about the way I look. Not really sure how it effects my confidence though in the real world. Here it is easier to post a shirtless pic because it is acceptable on a site like this.

I am planning on a lot of yard work this weekend and before I would always wear a shirt outside. I was wondering if I would go without one and it still seems like a big step to me.

you'd do the ladies in your neighbourhood a favour by doing yardwork topless. :tongue:
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Absolutely, go shirtless doing your yard work!
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I had confidence even when I gained about 50 lbs, which may have been my downfall. I kept thinking "Oh, I gained weight, but I'm still sexy..." and that turned into "Umm, I only have two pair of pants that fit me and I'm too poor to buy more" (sadface)

But, even thought I haven't lost much, I do have a lot of confidence for the most part.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I went from being really skinny with low confidence to really big with even more low confidence...Although I haven't reached my goal weight yet, my confidence does seem a little better than before. I am working on it day by day.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    When I was at my heaviest I would have never gone out in my sports bra or sports tops without wearing a shirt over them....now I wear my cuter sports bras and tops sans shirt and I love it!!!
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've lost half my weight and its made a huge difference in how I feel and carry myself. I'm more active, which helps with the mental stress and I honestly like how I look now. After hiding the last few years I have no problem walking around the house naked:) Can't wait till I hit goal this year!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    I've never had confidence, per se. More like indifference. I used to care about what people thought about me, but only in the context of a significant other (i.e. my ex.) Otherwise, I'm just indifferent towards what people think about me, so I don't worry about wearing certain things, or looking a certain way, for the most part. I'm more concerned with how my body performs what I ask of it then what other people think of how it looks.

So I guess my confidence is pretty good.
  • luvnthenewme
    luvnthenewme Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I am trying to be totally not a creeper here, but if you will be working in a busy area, you should probably wear a shirt! You might cause traffic congestion if you are shirtless. If you are in a more remote location, definitely go shirtless ( am sure your wife would greatly enjoy it!!)!
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I know that I felt "frumpy" at my higher weight. I don't know that my self-confidence has been raised by getting into better shape.

Besides, doesn't the word self-confidence mean "confidence in yourself"? Which I extrapolate to mean "confidence that doesn't come from the outside".

I really enjoy the fact that I can wear everything in my closet again, and that I have a big pile of stuff that needs to go to the thrift store.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey,
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    It's pretty awesome. I still hate pictures of myself, but there is this full wall mirror in my garage and I stop and oogle every time that I pass it. I'm still big (5'8, large frame, 181 pounds), but I think I'm looking good, and that translates to much higher confidence. That I'm starting to get the second glances and the smiles from men in public helps too lol!
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Great topic, I have been reading a lot of books on confidence lately, as im suffering a bit myself with social anxiety, but to me, I have trained my body, but my mind wont catch up, what I see in the mirror is not what I feel I have, strange it sounds, but I hope someone understands this. But I am proud of what I have achieved so far, I think real life confidence is so hard!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    Mine is WAY better, but I am still as socially awkward as ever. But that's just a problem I need to deal with internally, and I doubt losing weight will fix that.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Great topic, I have been reading a lot of books on confidence lately, as im suffering a bit myself with social anxiety, but to me, I have trained my body, but my mind wont catch up, what I see in the mirror is not what I feel I have, strange it sounds, but I hope someone understands this. But I am proud of what I have achieved so far, I think real life confidence is so hard!

:) Your abs are hot! But yes real life confidence is hard, I've learned its a lot easier to be confident online then offline, which is why I got big to begin with because I sat online at my desk for hours, now I can't sit still, I'm online a lot still but I'm sure to workout now. I'm confident at my job, which I never had before. I'm confident in certain things but I still lack it other places. I'm sure it'll get better with time.

What books are you reading? I have anxiety issues, but not nearly like I use to.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Totally understand.....my mind still hasn't caught up with what I have done this past year.....but slowly and steady trying to get the brain to catch up with the body.....lol
  • larkiedeek
    larkiedeek Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mine is lower than ever.

Now I have stopped drinking I never talk to people. I've dropped about 18-20lbs and my brain is still catching up to my body-weight.

I have had to get new clothes that fit and I just don't feel "comfortable" in my body.

I think there was something in chocolate that made my brain happy and that has been missing.:frown:
  • Kayley
    Kayley Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Mine is lower than ever.

Now I have stopped drinking I never talk to people. I've dropped about 18-20lbs and my brain is still catching up to my body-weight.

I have had to get new clothes that fit and I just don't feel "comfortable" in my body.

I think there was something in chocolate that made my brain happy and that has been missing.:frown:
    You should treat yourself to some chocolate because you've done a great job in losing that weight. A little won't hurt! :flowerforyou:
  • ahulse23
    ahulse23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I am trying to be totally not a creeper here, but if you will be working in a busy area, you should probably wear a shirt! You might cause traffic congestion if you are shirtless. If you are in a more remote location, definitely go shirtless ( am sure your wife would greatly enjoy it!!)!

What she said :)
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I have had anxiety's period and bad confidence always but no more. decided it was a shame and waste of my life to keep myself there. Life is hard but it's a lot of fun and that's the part I have been missing out on and don't want to any more. I know my body says one thing and my mind says another but I'm learning not to listen when I know it sabotages me. Close my eyes and feel good about my dreams, my accomplishments, open them and it's a new moment in time.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!