stinky workout clothes

Options
:sick: Other then washing them ASAP how do you keep you clothes smelling fresh?

Replies

• behappydance
    Options
    Heehee. I just wash mine within a day of wearing them. I wonder if baking soda would help if you can't wash them right away?
  • grainne_eire
    Options
    I stick mine on the radiator, it evaporates the sweat ha.. but I wouldn't leave them too long, they might start growing new life forms! :-p
  • skaery7
    skaery7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love Tide Sport formula. It has Febreeze in it. They smell yummy before the workout at least!!!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    :sick: Other then washing them ASAP how do you keep you clothes smelling fresh?

Mine are nasty, I just burn them after every workout.
  • lbadeen
    lbadeen Posts: 1
    Options
    Add a little white vinegar to the wash!
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    If you want to wait to wash them, you can put them in a pail with some baking soda and soak them until you get to them. Works like a charm with my daughter's cloth diapers, and trust me, those are some stinky items.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    the downy or purex sprinkle things are great you add them straight to the wash and they are made for sports clothes. you use in conjunction with fabric softener and laundry soap. my whole family loves the smell it's like watching a gain commercial! and beleive me my clothes were nasty before i discovered these things! no matter how much i washed within 20 mins i would stink. Now i smell fresh unless it's a good 2 hour or so workout.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Vinegar is magic, just make sure your prior load didnt use bleach =P
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    clean clothes and towel every time I hit the gym and do laundry every week. All my workout clothes are synthetic which helps with the sweat evaporating. Cotton is like a sponge, an evil, smelly sponge!
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I hang them up so the sweat can dry out rather than throwing them in the hamper. I try to wear them 2-3 times before I wash them. I use a very very small gym though and I am often the only person there so I don't worry about the smell too much lol
  • jckranz
    jckranz Posts: 4
    Options
    Baking soda in the Wash cycle, Vinegar in the Rinse cycle.

NO fabric softener, or dryer sheets. They just deposit a layer of crud on your workout clothes that may act as an allergen and that will mix with your funk and amplify it.

The only quick fix I can recommend other than to wash it is to spray it with heavy duty Febreeze or a Lysol disinfectant spray.