Low Carb Ideas

Options
Hi,
I'm looking to decrease the amount of carbs in my diet and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I know I eat a lot of fruit and veggies for snacks/puddings...what could I trade a few of these in for?
I want to get the right sort of balance in my diet! My food diary is open...
Thanks everyone!

Replies

• GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Bumb! I need some suggestions too!
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Just cut down on sugar - fruit and processed.

Up your protein.

Beef Jerky is a great, almonds, veggies
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Get rid of the fruits that are really high in sugar, but keep things like berries and watermelon. Good for hydration, vitamins and minerals, and fiber! Don't eliminate any vegetables unless you're going seriously hard core no carbs (I don't suggest it). Avoid grains and starchy foods (potatoes, corn, peas, pasta, etc.).
    Get lots of lean proteins. Yogurts (mix your own from plain for lower sugar), cheeses, eggs, chicken, turkey, pork, etc. are all great sources of protein. I find marinating in olive oil and vinegar with lots of herbs makes for some tasty chicken dishes that are low carb!
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if I would qualify as a low carber, I try to hit around 100 grams.

I like Pure Protein bars and I like Atkins bars too
    Almonds ( I tend to go overboard on those though,,,like chips)
    Cottage Cheese with a teaspoon or powder ranch dressing
    Protein shakes
    Apple (cut it up, then wiegh...it ends up being less without the core)
    pickles

All of these fall into my carb limits, but if you are doing Atkins, then those will not help. These are easy things for me since I am on the run a lot with kids.
  • MommyPatriot
    MommyPatriot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would start your day with more protein like eggs, sausage, ham, etc. Starting with something so carb dense as porridge sets your body for a day full of craving that blood sugar spike again. That is why you may be drawn to fruit later in the day. Best luck!
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    Is cutting out grains a good idea? i eat a lot of brown rice/oats/quinoa/couscous...should i keep these in or swap them for protein alternatives?
    I'm definitely going to cut down on my dried fruit/apple addiction!
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    yea what most said... As for your Macronutrients you track... I like to track Cals/carbs/protein/fiber/sugar and fat. Wouldnt worry about sodium unless u live off processed pre packaged foods constantly and dont drink enough water daily.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    I would start your day with more protein like eggs, sausage, ham, etc. Starting with something so carb dense as porridge sets your body for a day full of craving that blood sugar spike again. That is why you may be drawn to fruit later in the day. Best luck!

i always assumed porridge was a slow release energy food?
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Is cutting out grains a good idea? i eat a lot of brown rice/oats/quinoa/couscous...should i keep these in or swap them for protein alternatives?

Again, I am not sure what your carb goal is. But a rule I like to follow is, if I am going to have couscous, then I try to have protein to match it, we like to put chicken in our couscous (well hubby does)

I eat oatmeal, but I have eggs with it too. Pure protein bars have carbs but they have the same amount of protein too.

But maybe that would help, if you are going to have something that has carbs, make sure you have protein with it too.
  • akshayam29
    Options
    add sea food (low in carbs), pinto beans (though have carbs rich in fiber)....green tea with ginger.....add avocado.....instead of 2 apples....take 1...instead of other apple...add strawberries with your cottage cheese..can reduce the intake of pineapple juice and add coconut water instead....bottom line...your diet is good.....
  • skittles8810
    Options
    I use whole white wheat.. its wheat but its the albino form. Its really good. I make crepes for pancakes, thinner but yummy. I have this recipe its:

Description:
    These Swedish pancakes are perfectly delicious! Simple to make, and tasty enough to eat all by themselves... and made healthier with white whole wheat flour.
    Yield:
    about 8 crepes
    Ingredients:
    3 eggs
    1 cup milk
    3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    butter or coconut oil, for frying
    Maple syrup, fruit syrup, or sweetened cream cheese (or kefir or yogurt), for serving
    Instructions:
    1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk until well-beaten. Add the flour, sugar, and salt and whisk briskly until batter is smooth.
    2. Allow batter to rest for 5-10 minutes to thicken slightly (will still be thin, though!).
    3. Heat an 8- to 10-inch skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot, put 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of butter or coconut oil in the skillet. As soon as it's melted, pour in 1/4 cup of batter***. Tip the skillet to spread batter in a thin circle.
    4. Flip crepe after about a minute, when top is dry and crepe is holding together enough to flip. Cook for an additional 30 seconds or so.
    5. Continue cooking crepes in this fashion, adding 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of oil before each one, and cooking 1/4 cup of batter at a time.
    Serve hot, with syrup or other toppings of your choice! :)
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options

Again, I am not sure what your carb goal is. But a rule I like to follow is, if I am going to have couscous, then I try to have protein to match it, we like to put chicken in our couscous (well hubby does)

I eat oatmeal, but I have eggs with it too. Pure protein bars have carbs but they have the same amount of protein too.

But maybe that would help, if you are going to have something that has carbs, make sure you have protein with it too.

good idea. i dont want to go ridiculously low carb. i'd like to eat a 'sensible' amount. I'm just aiming to be moderate with everything really.
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    and thank you to everyone who is taking the time to reply/give advice
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I think a general rule of thumb is to follow a 40/30/30 % guideline..

Meaning 30% protein 40% Carbs 30% fat.

This is based on your BMR.

Abit of Math for you.

Protein = 4 calories per gram
    Carbs = 4 calories per gram
    Fat = 9 calories per gram

Hope this helps make choices easier
  • londongirl2012
    londongirl2012 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i usually aim for 50% carbs, 20% protein, 30% fat you can adjust your settings in the goals section and to custom.

high protein snacks include:
    boiled eggs
    protein shake
    nuts/seeds
    fat free greek yogurt
    peanut butter/hummus/cottage cheese/pate/cheddar cheese with veg
    glass of semi skimmed milk
    chicken/ham/turkey slices

don't cut out fruit though as it is good for you but maybe limit it to 2-3 portions per day maybe? and cut out juice as this is just liquid sugar with little fibre and not may nutrients due to processing etc same as a fizzy drink almost...
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I was looking for ways to cut down on my carbs too. Trying to keep my macro's at 40/30/30 but I always go over on carbs and under on protein. Thanks for all the suggestions! :)
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Eating a lot of complex carbs is ideal for weight loss... low in calories and full of nutrients. fruits and vegetables are good, complex carbs like 100% whole wheat bread, brown rice, oatmeal, fiberone cereal, whole grains, etc..... good rations for would probably be 45% complex carbs, 35% protein, and 20% good fats
  • VirginiaWoof
    Options
    I've changed my ratio to 50 (carb) 30 (protein) 20 (fat). That's to start because I think it would be difficult to go to 40-30-30 straight away. I'm gonna cut fruit juices and change some of my fruits :)
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    Have a look at my diary...apart from yesterday. :sad: ..i`m usually under 40 gr a day..
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options

i always assumed porridge was a slow release energy food?

i ahve porrage 3 days of the week and eggs the rest for breakfast and both fill me up until around 1pm (i have breakfast at 8am.)