Heart Rate Monitor and Calories

Options
Went out and bought a HRM. The calorie count is WAY off what the machine calorie count was for my work out. Machine said 414 and HRM said 585. Which one do I go with? I don't want to over eat. Should I go with the machine just to be safe? But then why would the HRM purchase be necessary?

Anyone?

Replies

• Marge321
    Marge321 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    HRM with strap band? Any other watch without the strap ise useless...

Quality of the HRM is kind of important too. What did you bought?
  • navyw1fe
    navyw1fe Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    What hrm did you buy? I have the polar ft4 that includes a watch and chest strap..the ones that have the strap are most accurate. make sure all your info you programed is current!
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I too wonder how accurate they are. I have tested both sitting and doing nothing and walking lightly and sitting and doing nothing tells me I burn 80 calories an hour while walking 1.5 MPH says I burn 100. I don't see how moving my legs walking for a mile and a half burns only 20 calories more than sitting on my behind and doing nothing. It seems to make no sense, in particular when common wisdom is that one mile equals 100 calories for MOST people. FTR I have a Polar FT7 with chest strap. My treadmill (True 500 HRC) says I burn 185 calories per hour or 123 calories per mile versus the HRM at 75 calories per mile.
  • mmtschan
    mmtschan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    MIne was not expensive and does not have a chest strap. It's New Balance brand with just finger touch. Is it even worth it or just return it and get my money back?
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The chest strap one is more accurate, but not perfect, Polars are ~75% accurate.

Machines use a formula (if you enter your weight and age) that uses your work rate to estimate calories burned.
    HRM use calculations based on current heart rate and calculated max.

I'd personally split the difference =P
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yup, gotta have a chest strap, otherwise take it back. Also, if the cheap watches with no chest strap don't even ask for your height and weight and age, they are useless.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    yeah id take it back, you can get some nice creap ones from amazon with a chest strap
  • RachFace1000
    RachFace1000 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    i got the Timex and ended up taking it back and got the Polar ft4. Polar shows wayy...less calories than the timex did, but i feel more accurate.

the machines at gym are not always accurate because you dont input your gender, age, etc. Your HRM will be more accurate.

Good luck! :) Happy journey
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    MIne was not expensive and does not have a chest strap. It's New Balance brand with just finger touch. Is it even worth it or just return it and get my money back?

No chest strap means it is worthless for calorie calculation. Just take it back.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    i got the Timex and ended up taking it back and got the Polar ft4. Polar shows wayy...less calories than the timex did, but i feel more accurate.

the machines at gym are not always accurate because you dont input your gender, age, etc. Your HRM will be more accurate.

Good luck! :) Happy journey

I hear Timex is hard set for male, so if you are female it will over calculate calories.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I too wonder how accurate they are. I have tested both sitting and doing nothing and walking lightly and sitting and doing nothing tells me I burn 80 calories an hour while walking 1.5 MPH says I burn 100. I don't see how moving my legs walking for a mile and a half burns only 20 calories more than sitting on my behind and doing nothing. It seems to make no sense, in particular when common wisdom is that one mile equals 100 calories for MOST people. FTR I have a Polar FT7 with chest strap. My treadmill (True 500 HRC) says I burn 185 calories per hour or 123 calories per mile versus the HRM at 75 calories per mile.

HRMs are meant only for use during cardio exercise. They are not for sitting around or all day calorie calculation. The formula they use to calculate calories burned is not accurate outside of a cardio type activity. Thus, the numbers it gave you for sitting around would be incorrect most certainly. Even a very slow walk would probably not be calculated correctly.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    What hrm did you buy? I have the polar ft4 that includes a watch and chest strap..the ones that have the strap are most accurate. make sure all your info you programed is current!
    i have this one too.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would just use the ones with chest strap..............have a polar FT4 and love it works great.......
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The HRMs with just finger touch can work, but only if your intensity is steady state or you are religious about rechecking your heart rate every time you change intensity because it only knows that your heart rate has increased or decreased when you touch the sensors and calculates your calorie burn at that heart rate until the next time you touch it. I have a Mio HRM like that and it was OK except it doesn't like to register heart rate when you are moving a lot which made it useless for running. I have since gotten a Garmin 310XT gps which measures my distance and pace as well as my heart rate and calorie burn. Very happy with it.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Take it back and get a polar FT60... I love mine! X
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    yup, i have a fit bit for just wearing all day, and polar FT4 for cardio. just what everyone else said, chest strap, cuz it is a constant feed based on your heart rate, age, weight, height and gender.
  • twisted88
    twisted88 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Azdak's blog helps layout the facts about HRMs. I ended up getting a FT40F after reading his blog.