Couch to 5k

Options
_Bob_
_Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
I just started it and so far I'm loving it. I'm still over 300lbs but it's not to bad.

just thought I'd share..... here's what I'm doing:

Couchto5K.jpg

any thoughts or advice?

who has done this, and how did it work out for you?

Replies

• CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting once I get the clearance from my doc.
  • ShawnaRaeDunn
    ShawnaRaeDunn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That is awesome and I am going to include this now for me! Thanks and good luck to you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Haven't used it myself but it looks like a pretty reasonable way to break into running.

Listen to your body as everyone progresses at different rates, if you have to repeat a week do so.

Are you planning on some cross-training activities on your non-running days? Strength training really compliments running as does cycling, swimming etc. Make sure you take at least on recovery day per week & have fun!
  • atla_moves
    Options
    I started C25k today, actually. Just finished my first run a half hour ago. It wasn't bad at all, but I'm doing the program from coolrunning.com and my first week is intervals of 60 seconds of running followed by 90 seconds of brisk walking, 8 times. I downloaded podcasts here: http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm
  • felicity866
    felicity866 Posts: 120
    Options
    i did c25k to get fit before i went on holidays and just loved it!!...i should mention i have never run in my life and when i started my family thought it was hysterical...they are now very proud that i finished it and tell everyone...haha....now that i am back from a month away and having had the best holiday ever because i was fit enough to enjoy it i am starting c25k again and cant wait!!!!

good on you for giving it a go...and from one non runner to another....i hope you enjoy it as much as i have!!

p.s. i am happy to have you add me as a friend if you want some support!
  • kristypie
    kristypie Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started at the first of this year and finished mid-March. I have ran 2 5k's since then. It's hard, and there are days when I thought I couldn't do it. Heck, there are days now when I start a run and don't think I can go the full 3 miles without stopping. I learned that this is mostly a head game, and as long as I tell myself that I can do it, then I do it. When I get tired, when my legs feel like cement blocks or jello, when my lungs feel like they are on fire, I keep going because I am stronger than I think I am. Before this program, I had never ran a mile in my life, but I completed that on February 6th and cried! :) Good luck, stay mentally strong, feed your body healthy foods and you will be a successful 5k runner in just a couple of months!
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I started C25k today, actually. Just finished my first run a half hour ago. It wasn't bad at all, but I'm doing the program from coolrunning.com and my first week is intervals of 60 seconds of running followed by 90 seconds of brisk walking, 8 times. I downloaded podcasts here: http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

I started with that one a week ago and then found this one. it's easier to time it when running on the street, or on a crappy treadmill at the gym where it's hard to switch from one speed to another.

and I strength train light before my run days and heavy on non run days. with one break day each week.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    That particular plan advanced to too much running for me too quickly. I did a more modified version of the one at coolrunning. 13 weeks and finishing this week! Any of them are great, just find what works for you!
  • felicity866
    felicity866 Posts: 120
    Options
    i found the key to succes with this (or any other running program) is to stay slow....get the distance first and not worry about speed....that comes much later. this program is all about getting to the end....not how fast you get there!!
  • natwmartinez
    Options
    I have been doing this and it is so much fun! I have hurt my hip (think I need to lose more weight before I really push myself to the extreme). Best of luck! Are you trying for a 5k? I am looking at one called "Run for your lives". Look it up, looks like a bunch of fun!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I'm using this one http://runningmatemedia.com/ to get back into jogging. Love it! I don't have to worry about watching the time or anything. And if you have an iphone or fancy ipod you can use your own music through the app. I just use the basic ipod app.

Have fun with it, it really is awesome to get done with even day one and say "I did it!!"
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    This is a great plan; there are several of the C25K plans out there. This version is conducive to treadmills where the speed will need to be adjusted. Best bits of advice I can offer {one big boy to another} take a brisk walk a few times before starting the program to ensure your knees are going to tolerate the impact; listen to what is going on with your body and enjoy yourself.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a training plan, I kind of just winged it. What I did do was once was able to run 5km was to enter a fun run. Running by yourself and then running with a bunch of people is a totally different feeling.

Since then which only 5 years ago, I have completed a full marathon, run a number of fun runs and am running the Toronto 1/2 marathon in 3 weeks.

I wish you all the success possible, any support required more than happy to help
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    C25K is my favourite of all the running programs I got into. It was the easiest to follow and I'm proud of how it helped me quit smoking. I had been doing the podcast version, but than I grabbed the app and found it more effective because I couldn't stand the music. lol

Now, I can tell people that running is one of my hobbies. :)
  • sbeck219
    sbeck219 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i love this app! i used it to run my first 5k!
  • ntw25
    ntw25 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I like the look of this
  • jbaa88
    jbaa88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I started this program about 6 weeks ago because I really wanted to learn how to start running without hating it.. I started it all on the treadmill running at 5-5.2 and walking at 3-3.5. I went to week 5 and in the middle of week 5, i tried running outside, and reality kicked in -- I should have known it was hard, but I didn't think it'd be that hard. I've gotten discouraged because I feel like I need to start the plan all over again on a track or outside and not on the treadmill. Does anyone have any advice? I haven't ran since last week because of how painful it was running outside :(
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I find a good way to keep motivated is to look at my stats post workout and see how many km I've run and than reward myself with that amount in dollars and cents. 4.04 km is $4.04. Been saving it up. Don't know what for, but it always helps me stay on top of my running schedule when I realize that the amount hasn't increased in a while.
  • ShawnaRaeDunn
    ShawnaRaeDunn Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi! What website did you find your running sched. on becuae I cant seem to find it. C-5k / cool runnings has a different one.
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    wanted to start c25k tomorrow but mother nature is not going to co-operate. Supposed to get 15 cm of snow :ohwell:

Would rather run outside because I want to attempt a few 5k's this summer.