Working out everyday?

Options
Is it okay to do an hour of cardio everyday? Or do I need to rest?

Replies

• JensterPenster
    Options
    There's no need to rest. I feel better when I don't skip a day. (Plus I know myself well enough to know what skipping one day is a slippery slope for me.)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    It's fine, so long as you're following your body's cues.

I would just avoid more high-impact stuff without taking breaks, because that can wear your body down when you never give it a chance to rest and recuperate.
  • thenewmrsfitz
    Options
    Youre right I'd love to know why do so many people say you need a rest day?
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I dont skip a day!.. I feel low and bored when I dont work out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    You need rest days from "high intensity" training like HIIT and heavy weight lifting. Walking is cardio and you can do that everyday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • XtyAnn17
    XtyAnn17 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Sweet thanks everyone it's been giving me so much energy, and I feel lazy when I don't so defiantely gonna do it daily unless my body tells me I need a break
  • skittles8810
    Options
    You only need a day to rest from cardio if you run vigorously or really long distance, cause it will cause shin splints or stress fractures. But if you vary it up from biking, walking and other forms of exercise you are good to go!
  • maxdwolf
    maxdwolf Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi XtyAnn17, muscles and the body need rest. I have seen 1 rest day a week recommended for runners while weight lifting regiments focus on just 3 days a week. On the other hand I've seen loads of variation on this and seen reports of real results of breaking the rules. If you're comfortable on day 7 with having another go, I would go with it. Alternately you could up the intensity so that your body lets you know it's time for a break.
  • xxxhelenaxxx
    xxxhelenaxxx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do some sort of working out almost every day. I do 4 days of weights + cardio and then on my rest days I do at least something. Like sometimes yoga or just walking a little further at the grocery store, or if I'm feeling really spiffy I'll go to the gym and hit up the treadmill. I wouldn't do weights every single day though. Your muscles have to rebuild. If you keep lifting, it never gives them time to heal/build!!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

I do cardio every day of the week!
    I only do weight lifting or resistance training once a week for an hour.
    You don't really need more than that, unless you're training for the Olympics or such..lol!
    You are the only one who knows your body..so go with how you feel!
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I would think that you should take a break from cardio at least 1-2 days/week to let your body recoup....Don't NOT exercise on the rest days though...Maybe walking or weights....Just something different to keep your body guessing so it doesn't get used to the same thing every single day....HTH :)
  • NamsdnaL
    NamsdnaL Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I at least do 35min on my bike everyday. Then I do weight lifting for five days out of the seven. If I miss a day I feel like *kitten*.
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

I do cardio every day of the week!
    I only do weight lifting or resistance training once a week for an hour.
    You don't really need more than that, unless you're training for the Olympics or such..lol!
    You are the only one who knows your body..so go with how you feel!

I would disagree with only needing it once a week. I lost muscle mass when I went below twice a week. It wasn't as bad as when I switched fully to endurance training, but I would be at my goal body fat percentage if I had just lifted 3 times a week and ate enough protein the whole time.

OP: You can do cardio every day, but you really shouldn't. http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/women-running-into-trouble/
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to give your body time to recover from intense strength training or significant endurance events. That doesn't mean you can't be active every day. I exercise on my rest days, but I do things like pilates or yoga and reduce the intensity of my cardio. Your body will let you know when it needs a break.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I exercise everyday.
  • Fitfaery
    Fitfaery Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It's fine, so long as you're following your body's cues.

I would just avoid more high-impact stuff without taking breaks, because that can wear your body down when you never give it a chance to rest and recuperate.

^^^^This x
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I rest from my exercise regimen once a week and one week per quarter. That doesn't mean I just sit around on my @$$. I might do some sort of activity like ride my bike, surf, play frisbee, swim, go for a leisure walk, or throw a football around. I just don't call it exercise. It's just fun and relaxing. Exercise, to me, means intensity and pushing yourself to exhaustion. I need a rest day from that.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I suppose there is nothing wrong with cardio every day, but be careful and listen to your body.
    I did cardio every day for almost 4 months, and felt like ****. I lost my TOM, was tired a lot and just all around in bad condition. Plus, I wasn't losing any weight! I was then told by various sources to cut back on the cardio, and start lifting.
    I feel better, am not as tired and my body is starting to look the way I want it to. I read that too much cardio is bad for your metabolism or something? But I'm unedcuated and not going to try to make any claims. Just that cardio every day had negative consequences for me.

Every body is different, though.
  • TurtleTurtle1975
    Options
    I'm glad you asked the question! There seems to be so much "information" about this topic! And I think it all depends on what each person/article/professional is calling "cardio". I walk my dogs every day, and walking is considered cardio, BUT it is a slow pace, as the dogs are older. So I personally, don't count that. But the hour of Zumba I do at the gym - I count as cardio.

I am finding that personally I need one day off a week. Almost like a full cheat day! No exercise and eat ok, but not as healthy as I did all week. BUT I do worry that it will be the slippery slope that someone else mentioned. Where no gym today, leads to no gym tomorrow, or the next day or the next and suddenly a week or month has gone by and I've not been to the gym.

I agree with the people who say "listen to your body." Today my knee is in PAIN, so I only walked the dogs. I'm doing house work and regular stuff, but no bike, no weights, no video, nothing.

Good luck!
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Youre right I'd love to know why do so many people say you need a rest day?

Rest gives your body a chance to recover from the stress you put on it with exercise. If you're just doing cardio session on the treadmill, that's not such a big deal. But if you start lifting weights, then you should absolutely take a rest to give your muscles a chance to recover, rebuild, and grow. It's like cutting yourself and continually picking the scab over and over and over and over to never take a rest.