Trouble getting calories in

Options
Are there some days you're just having a difficult time meeting your calories? Today is going to be rough for me to make it even close I think, without throwing in some junk food. I did extra workout, I've been eating, it's just not adding up.

What do you do on days you're low on calories and just lacking in appetite?

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Are there some days you're just having a difficult time meeting your calories? Today is going to be rough for me to make it even close I think, without throwing in some junk food. I did extra workout, I've been eating, it's just not adding up.

I add high calorie foods.

Snack on Nuts/seeds
    Add Olive oil/butter to your cooking
    cheese on your salad

High calorie doesn't have to mean high volume.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Cheese omelette.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Snack on Nuts/seeds
    cheese on your salad

Also things like avocado and nut butters. Not a lot of volume but calorie dense and great nutritionally.

I see a lot of threads like this and I always wonder why it is that someone who is trying to lose weight has this problem. I mean absolutley no disrespect. I just wonder what the difference is with someone like yourself's past calorie and food intake and a struggle to get enough calories now. LOL, it is obviously a problem I don't share as I have to watch how many and never are under unless I'm doing intermittent fasting and it's intentional.
  • Mosaic67
    Mosaic67 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I posted about the same problem and got some excellent replies. Go for healthy snacks, additions to meals and such. Nuts, especially almonds, are a good snack, on top of salads, etc. Avocados enhance everything from salads to sandwiches. Switch to whole milk if fat % is not an issue.

If it's just some days, look at the weekly average. I budget weekly. If I know I'm going to go out to dinner on Saturday, I don't try to reach the calories for a few days. Chinese and Mexican, my favorites, are notoriously high. So if I'm running really low, I make myself enchiladas. Plus, I believe in treating myself to a sundae or something now and then, so my mind doesn't get into the "I'm on a diet and must suffer" mode.

Good luck, I'm sure many ideas are in a search....
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Snack on Nuts/seeds
    cheese on your salad

Also things like avocado and nut butters. Not a lot of volume but calorie dense and great nutritionally.

I see a lot of threads like this and I always wonder why it is that someone who is trying to lose weight has this problem. I mean absolutley no disrespect. I just wonder what the difference is with someone like yourself's past calorie and food intake and a struggle to get enough calories now. LOL, it is obviously a problem I don't share as I have to watch how many and never are under unless I'm doing intermittent fasting and it's intentional.

I agree and mean no disrespect either but I often wonder the same thing.... I burned 1700 calories today and will eat back 85-90% of those exercise calories along with my BMR of 2300 ( 2300+1500=3800 calories) and I am still going to have to manage not going over on my calories today... I average 3200-3400 calories a day currently and am still losing (MFP has a 500 cal deficit built into my BMR to lose a pound a week) on avg. a pound a week... I make up a bulk of my calories with good fats (Almonds, All Natural Peanut butter, Pistachios, 1% Chocolate Milk, Kashi bars and cereals, Sliced Imported Swiss Cheese to name a few) At my heaviest I was consuming 7-8000 calories a day so fitting 3000 into my day is not hard to do, the biggest difference though is the quality of the food I eat now... I just don't have alot of Junk in my mealplan these days.... Best of Luck.....
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of threads like this and I always wonder why it is that someone who is trying to lose weight has this problem

Many seem to be eating low fat and diet things, some food diaries I barely recognise a food item from the cacophony of branded low fat this and low cal that.

So part of the problem is the high carb / low energy density foods they are eating I think.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I have never been a big eater. I actually don't enjoy eating very much. I also have had a great understanding of nutrition and fitness my entire life (grew up with very healthy parents). But I still ended up 90 pounds overweight. I didn't gain weight because I was eating huge portions or didn't know how to control myself or what I was doing. I gained weight because I was depressed and wanted to kill myself with food; it was the one method that didn't look like suicide. I'd deliberately pick the unhealthiest items I could (can you say Doritos for three meals a day and drinking only soda and booze?) and choke them down. I didn't necessarily eat a lot of it, but it's so high in calories that I didn't need to.

It was only when I stopped being depressed that I changed my diet. I eat with the same frequency and volume, but now that the food isn't 300 calories an ounce, the numbers don't get very high. It can be very difficult for me to get up to even 1200 calories, but I'd rather risk too few calories of nutritious healthful foods than hit a certain number with processed crap.

I guess the bottom line is that you can't assume that everyone gets fat for the same reason. Sure, a lot of people really don't know what they're putting into their bodies and education is often key. But for some of us, it's not nearly that simple. (By the way, don't read this as being upset; I just wanted to give you an answer.)
  • AdiposeRapture
    Options
    No disrespect taken :P
    I completely changed my lifestyle, diet and exercise wise in the last week. Where before I would eat a bag of potato, I replaced it with gluten free crackers and Hummus. Candy bars are now fruits. Fast food is bagged raw veggies. Then add that I NEVER worked out in any fashion, prior to this week- Im sort of at a loss.
    Im not just doing this to lose weight, but also to live a cleaner, healthier life. Processed foods have been something I wanted to be rid of for some time. Ive been gluten free for a year, quit smoking in Dec11- and gained a LOT of weight I had lost.
    Now it's time to take the next step in becoming healthier and this is by far the hardest for me. Not from being hungry and starving myself, but because its such a radical change.

Snack on Nuts/seeds
    cheese on your salad

[/quote]

[/quote]
  • AdiposeRapture
    Options
    Perfect reply. Looking back on myself and my emotions, though I didnt realize it at the time, but this IS what I was doing. I didn't care enough about myself because of my depression and anxiety to do anything but eat. It was easier to grab the crap and flop back down on the couch.
    I've been working on pulling myself out of this wretched funk for awhile and Sunday morning I woke up giving a crap about ME and decided I'm worth it. MONTHS of wishing I could care finally paid off I guess. Cause here I am a week later.
    I still have Doritos and ice cream in the house. I've just decided I'd rather not eat that anymore. I prefer how my body, how *I* feel after a big bowl of fruits and veggies- BUT, that leaves me lacking in calories.

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I have never been a big eater. I actually don't enjoy eating very much. I also have had a great understanding of nutrition and fitness my entire life (grew up with very healthy parents). But I still ended up 90 pounds overweight. I didn't gain weight because I was eating huge portions or didn't know how to control myself or what I was doing. I gained weight because I was depressed and wanted to kill myself with food; it was the one method that didn't look like suicide. I'd deliberately pick the unhealthiest items I could (can you say Doritos for three meals a day and drinking only soda and booze?) and choke them down. I didn't necessarily eat a lot of it, but it's so high in calories that I didn't need to.

It was only when I stopped being depressed that I changed my diet. I eat with the same frequency and volume, but now that the food isn't 300 calories an ounce, the numbers don't get very high. It can be very difficult for me to get up to even 1200 calories, but I'd rather risk too few calories of nutritious healthful foods than hit a certain number with processed crap.

I guess the bottom line is that you can't assume that everyone gets fat for the same reason. Sure, a lot of people really don't know what they're putting into their bodies and education is often key. But for some of us, it's not nearly that simple. (By the way, don't read this as being upset; I just wanted to give you an answer.)
  • 2monthstogo
    Options
    Cheese and nuts! You will be there in no time!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Perfect reply. Looking back on myself and my emotions, though I didnt realize it at the time, but this IS what I was doing. I didn't care enough about myself because of my depression and anxiety to do anything but eat. It was easier to grab the crap and flop back down on the couch.
    I've been working on pulling myself out of this wretched funk for awhile and Sunday morning I woke up giving a crap about ME and decided I'm worth it. MONTHS of wishing I could care finally paid off I guess. Cause here I am a week later.
    I still have Doritos and ice cream in the house. I've just decided I'd rather not eat that anymore. I prefer how my body, how *I* feel after a big bowl of fruits and veggies- BUT, that leaves me lacking in calories.

Thanks to both of you for helping me to understand. I am a professional chef and as a result of what I do for so many hours everyday, I sometimes can lose touch with the fact that not everyone is programed with nutritional data that they work with everyday.

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions on more calorie dense foods. I'd also add full fat greek yogurt to the list. Another very healthy food that is calorie dense. One of the great things about nuts and nut butters, particularly walnuts and almonds is that they are very high in Omega 3 fatty acids. These have incredible health benefits for inflamation, heart health and brain health. Nuts are high in fat but fat doesn't make you fat, too many calories do. And the fat from nuts is the best kind of fat that you can have.

The emotional component is very real. For me stress and depression can either cause overeating or undereating. Cortisol can also promote fat retention and that is released in response to stress in the body. I am truly so glad that both of you are getting to a more healthy place, physically and emotionally. They also feed off of eachother positive or negative. When you are living more healthy physically, it helps you to be more healthy emotionally and the same in the other direction. We are integrated systems not segmented ones. The key thing is to make the choice and the act of will to go in a good direction as you both have. I applaud your efforts!!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Thanks to both of you for helping me to understand. I am a professional chef and as a result of what I do for so many hours everyday, I sometimes can lose touch with the fact that not everyone is programed with nutritional data that they work with everyday.
    Glad to be of help! Interesting that you're a chef; if you don't mind, I have a question for you. I actually worked in professional kitchens throughout college to pay the bills and it ended up being invaluable when I decided to get healthy and lose weight because I know what I'm doing with food. Sadly, I had been hired on the qualification of "my mom taught me" (she also did the same thing when she was in school) because it was so unusual; most people who interviewed actually had NO clue what they were doing, even just from cooking at home! Do you find that being knowledgeable about cooking is an important part of being able to live a healthy lifestyle? Because it bothers me that so many people are really lost in the kitchen and end up relying on processed and unhealthy food.
    The key thing is to make the choice and the act of will to go in a good direction as you both have. I applaud your efforts!!
    Thank you for the support!
  • AdiposeRapture
    Options
    Thank you so much!! Its been a long sh*tty road, but I'm finally ready to get OFF it and move on in a healthy and hopefully much happier way.
    Quick question, if you don't mind. I've always thought that peanut butter- store brand- just isn't that good for you. Is this true? Or should I move on to other nut butters, like almond, cashew and made more naturally? Store brand PB just doesn't give me that feel good feeling Im looking for when I eat now, if that makes sense.

You've gotten a lot of great suggestions on more calorie dense foods. I'd also add full fat greek yogurt to the list. Another very healthy food that is calorie dense. One of the great things about nuts and nut butters, particularly walnuts and almonds is that they are very high in Omega 3 fatty acids. These have incredible health benefits for inflamation, heart health and brain health. Nuts are high in fat but fat doesn't make you fat, too many calories do. And the fat from nuts is the best kind of fat that you can have.

The emotional component is very real. For me stress and depression can either cause overeating or undereating. Cortisol can also promote fat retention and that is released in response to stress in the body. I am truly so glad that both of you are getting to a more healthy place, physically and emotionally. They also feed off of eachother positive or negative. When you are living more healthy physically, it helps you to be more healthy emotionally and the same in the other direction. We are integrated systems not segmented ones. The key thing is to make the choice and the act of will to go in a good direction as you both have. I applaud your efforts!!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Glad to be of help! Interesting that you're a chef; if you don't mind, I have a question for you. I actually worked in professional kitchens throughout college to pay the bills and it ended up being invaluable when I decided to get healthy and lose weight because I know what I'm doing with food. Sadly, I had been hired on the qualification of "my mom taught me" (she also did the same thing when she was in school) because it was so unusual; most people who interviewed actually had NO clue what they were doing, even just from cooking at home! Do you find that being knowledgeable about cooking is an important part of being able to live a healthy lifestyle? Because it bothers me that so many people are really lost in the kitchen and end up relying on processed and unhealthy food.
    The key thing is to make the choice and the act of will to go in a good direction as you both have. I applaud your efforts!!
    Thank you for the support!

I think you are right that what happens to many is that they fall into bad habits of convenience becuase they don't have soem knowlegde and skill in food prep and basic nutrition. It can also be a hinderance! LOL I eat nothing but healthy whole foods with the exception of Protien Powder but even they I research the one made with the least junk and the best process. I can so enjoy the creativity of working with ingredients and flavors then enjoy the results, that is where I struggle in my eating habits!
  • mmapags
    Options
    Thank you so much!! Its been a long sh*tty road, but I'm finally ready to get OFF it and move on in a healthy and hopefully much happier way.
    Quick question, if you don't mind. I've always thought that peanut butter- store brand- just isn't that good for you. Is this true? Or should I move on to other nut butters, like almond, cashew and made more naturally? Store brand PB just doesn't give me that feel good feeling Im looking for when I eat now, if that makes sense.

It does make sense. There are a couple of issues with peanut butter. Almost all the commercial brands have hydrogenated vegetable oil (transfat), which is the one ingredient that I believe is truly evil in terms of it's health effects. And the manufacturers ahve found the loophole in having to list it as a transfat. They just have to put less the .05 percent per serving. Still too much for me. Some brands also add sugar.

There are a couple of rare brands that don't. One that doesn't is Smucker's and it's carried by Walmart in some stores regionally. I buy Maranatha no stir organic. It's more expensive but healthy with no transfats. The other issue with peanut butter is that it's not really a nut. It's a legume (bean family). Legumes in general have Phytic Acid as a component and Phytic Acid prevents the absorbtion and uptake of minerals in the diet. Not a reason to avoid it altogether but just to be a little judicious in it's use.

True nut butters don't have this issue or have it to lesser degrees. One of the most healthy nut butters is Almond Butter. Especially Raw Almond Butter. So enjoy in moderation.
  • AdiposeRapture
    Options
    Thank you!!
    I'm reading about whole food and raw vegan eating. I just got the e-book "12 Steps To Raw Foods". I ALMOST went and got almond butter today. I've never had it, yet I'm craving it. So tomorrow, I will get a jar.

It does make sense. There are a couple of issues with peanut butter. Almost all the commercial brands have hydrogenated vegetable oil (transfat), which is the one ingredient that I believe is truly evil in terms of it's health effects. And the manufacturers ahve found the loophole in having to list it as a transfat. They just have to put less the .05 percent per serving. Still too much for me. Some brands also add sugar.

There are a couple of rare brands that don't. One that doesn't is Smucker's and it's carried by Walmart in some stores regionally. I buy Maranatha no stir organic. It's more expensive but healthy with no transfats. The other issue with peanut butter is that it's not really a nut. It's a legume (bean family). Legumes in general have Phytic Acid as a component and Phytic Acid prevents the absorbtion and uptake of minerals in the diet. Not a reason to avoid it altogether but just to be a little judicious in it's use.

True nut butters don't have this issue or have it to lesser degrees. One of the most healthy nut butters is Almond Butter. Especially Raw Almond Butter. So enjoy in moderation.
  • Jgen62
    Jgen62 Posts: 66
    Options
    I totally understand the having problems eating calorie goals. I was an emotional eater and junk food was my fix. I have starved my body nutritionally for a long time and so when I did eat my body stored it as fat in a survival mode. Now I am eating healthier and plan my meals for the calories. I get lots of help from my Friends here on this site. Viewing public diaries have been very educational. I made tuna fish with avacado today and it was delicious. (first time eating avocado) :)