Interval Training

Options
I'm trying to find ways to change up my workouts. I usually walk for 45 minutes in the morning or do the elliptical (30 minutes) at the gym along with some strength training, but I'm trying to increase my fat burning/intensity.

I've heard speed intervals are much better, but I'm trying to find a good interval plan. I'm by no means a runner at all (although I do want to do a Couch to 5K program eventually.) Today I tried intervals for the first time: 15 minutes of 30 secs running and 1:30 jog (recovery.) As I'm not a runner I wasn't sure what speed I should start out at so it was 3.5mph jog and 4.0 running, but I'm not sure where to start to make it effective, burn fat and for how long I should be doing intervals especially as a beginner.

Any help anyone could pass along would be great. I have a goal of 30 lbs by the end of August to start (50 overall.) right now I'm 190lbs, 5 feet and 42 yrs. old. I did Weight Watchers a few years ago and lost 50 lbs by only walking 30 minutes a day but gained back most of it back after falling off the exercise wagon. I find I'm much better with MFP and logging my food, drinking water and exercising, so I know I'll keep on track and reach my goals.

Thanks for any advice you can pass my way :smile:

Replies

• Kennkaru
    Kennkaru Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested in hearing about this. I've been wanting an organized interval training plan, since right now I'm pretty much just running until I feel like I'm going to die, then walk briskly until I feel like I can run again. Probably not the best set-up.

3 years ago I lost 30 pounds on Weight Watchers, also just walking 30 minutes a day.... and I also gained it all back after falling off the exercise wagon. This time I'm focusing more on building muscle and working on my stamina.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Yeah the Eliptical interval training is pretty cool actually. Basically start off with a 1minute warm-up then all-out sprint for 15-seconds, then light jog for 30seconds, rinse and repeat for as long as you can go. It actually helps the monotony of cardio go by faster too.
  • anewme1202
    anewme1202 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that JNick77 - I'll definitely try that and see how it goes. I'm guessing doing speed intervals on the elliptical is better than the treadmill because your not just working your lower body.

Good Luck Kennkaru - let me know how it goes for you too!!
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the rowing machine is best for Intervals. On the concept you can set your workout up on the monitor, there is no need to change the 'level' of the machine and is a full body movement. No need to do any thinking or changing settings this way while you're practiacally dead from the intervals- You can set work and rest period which is cool
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Interval training is the way to go!
    There's been a lot of recent research on it.
    There are various interval plans out there, but the basic idea is:
    Sprint, recover, sprint, recover, sprint, recover, etc. For me, I don't try to follow EXACT times (like, sprint for 30 seconds, recover for a minute), I do what my body tells me. I'll sprint very fast until I'm exhausted, then recover jog until I feel settled down, then back to a sprint, etc.
    A couple of things that I have read (from various University fitness research teams):

-You don't need to go over 20 minutes. In fact, there's some proof that 16 minutes is the optimal fat burning time frame for some reason. I won't go into the details, but the research is out there. There's a great documentary called "I Want to Look Like That Guy" about a dude who wanted to go from couch potato to a body building competition, and I found it interesting that his trainer had him doing interval treadmill stuff for no more than 16 minutes after a weight lifting session. He ended up getting to something like 5% body fat.

-Ease into interval training if you haven't done it before. Take it easy until you feel strong. There's also evidence to back off around week 3 because of risk of stress fractures during the this week. The bones need to adjust to the added work.

-Subjects who did 20 minutes of cardio interval training 3 x a week were in better cardiovascular shape than those who did 40 minutes of long slow carcio training 3 x a week over a 12 week period. And they were burning the same amount of calories during each session, but obviously spending less time in the gym. :)

-Cardio interval training doesn't have to be on the treadmill. Stationary bike, rowing machine (great advice from nick), elliptical...doesn't matter. Just rev it up, recover, rev up, recover...

Good luck. It's been working for me!
  • anewme1202
    Options
    Thanks Nick1109 and Tubby2Toned - that's great advice from both of you. Looks like the rowing machine and elliptical and I are going to become good friends!! I really appreciate your insight and look forward to working this into my exercise plan. Just like I try not to worry about the # on the scale (which is hard compared to seeing how I feel and how my clothes fit) I'm encouraged to see how far I can go - sprint, recover, sprint recover and it doesn't matter how long those sessions of each are.

Much appreciated! I'm ready to get my sweat on and increase my intensity!
  • maxdwolf
    maxdwolf Posts: 18
    Options
    The advice here is pretty good. From what I've read on the research there is no clear method of interval training that is best. From what you write, I might advise increasing the intensity somewhat. Dr. Tabata's method calls for 20 seconds of 170% vo2 max effort (i.e full out) with a 10 second rest for 4 minutes. Others are less intense, but one should still be making a strong effort during the high intensity portions and feel DONE when the workout is done.

Wikipedia has a decent write up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training
  • jugar
    jugar Posts: 10,214 Member
    Options
    There are some great interval training resources, including one I found helpful that lasts 8 weeks. Even if you don't follow it exactly or all the way through, the articles and information on the site are good. There is also some music that is GREAT for intervals -- I downloaded it and it starts out at 30 seconds sprint/90 seconds recovery (6, 9, 12, or 15 intervals) and then goes to 30/60. It gets you going!

I find it does not matter what exercise you do for intervals, just that you do them. All winter I used the stationary bike or cross-country skiing. One hilarious time I tried it on snowshoes. Luckily this will not appear on YouTube. Now I alternate bike and run/walk outside or stationary bike inside. Rowing machine is good, elliptical is brutal, but anything will do!

The 8 week program: http://www.losebellyfatworkout.com/category/week1 (this shows you the week-by-week, but go to the "home" tab to sign up for the free program. The emails are interesting and not frequent.

The music downloads: http://lbfurl.com/spo.php
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this guy also has some pretty cool interval training ideas

http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-lose-50-pounds-fast-in-5-months.htm
  • kmorris246
    kmorris246 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Tabata intervals are great! These usually involve 20 secs of high intensity exercise, followed by 10 secs of rest. Repeat 4x. Then move onto the next set. I usually incorporate burpees, squat jumps, high knees, mountain climbers, lunge jumps...... really any type of plyometrics will work well!
  • fitNmore
    fitNmore Posts: 1
    Options
    Tabata intervals are great! These usually involve 20 secs of high intensity exercise, followed by 10 secs of rest. Repeat 4x. Then move onto the next set. I usually incorporate burpees, squat jumps, high knees, mountain climbers, lunge jumps...... really any type of plyometrics will work well!

I agree. LOVE LOVE LOVE Tabata. You can get an app for your ipod that has work and rest timers. You can add as many exercises and tabatas that you want. I do a lot of plyo but you can incorporate weights with it as well. The number of calories burned doing tabata is about equal to running at 6mph for the same time (based on HRM).
  • phoebe2488
    phoebe2488 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump...good stuff here! Thanks!
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Tabata Intervals are pure pain and a great workout but I wouldn't start by doing these. They are great once fortnight or so if you can hack them but for a beginner I'd start with 20-30 seconds flat out and a minute recovery x6 and build it from there.
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PHS7
    PHS7 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here. I've been wondering too how to increase my workouts. I usually lift and then do 30-60 minutes of cardio on elliptical and bike but I feel as though I'm hitting a weight-loss wall. I've been looking for ideas to kickstart something new and this sounds like what I've been looking for. Can't wait to get to the gym in a few hours.
  • scottywor
    scottywor Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    TABATA PROTOCOL

http://www.tabataprotocol.com/

Sprint means as fast as you can, way beyond your comfort zone. If you do not push yourself out of your comfort zone, i believe some of the benefits of Interval training is lost.

i find doing on recumbent (sp.) bike or elliptical is the best (er...most painful) LOL Treadmill is good but can be dangerous, jumping back on when its clippin along at 10mph is tricky.

8 minutes n your done... crazy....

Start slow, even reverse the interval from 10s sprint n 20s rest x 8, until you build up the capacity, then move t0 15s sprint n 15 restx8 , then move to the actual protocol.

Intervals are a *****...LOL but so tasty!

ENJOY!
  • anewme1202
    Options
    Thanks again for all your comments and advice!
    You've all given me some great stuff and I'm looking forward to my 1st real interval butt kicking.
    I think is the kickstart I need.

I'll update you on how it goes!
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    When in doubt -Beachbody's Turbo Fire HIIT with Chalene! Im Obsesed!
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My trainer gave me a tabata routine for the elliptical: set the resistance to 3, 20 seconds all out effort, then 10 secs recovery (as slow as you like, to get your heart rate down), repeat for 4 minutes. It was a killer when I first started and I hated it but now I don't hate it until the last minute :laugh: so I feel I'm ready to up my resistance to 4

I can see some muscle definition above my knees and my endurance is getting better, plus I don't get bored like I do when I aim for 15 minutes on one machine :smile:
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    bump! I agree that interval training on the treadmill can be tricky. My biggest fear is that I'll trip and fall flat on my face! lol