Fitbit or HRM?

Options
I would like to find out how many calories I burn in a day. I specifically would like to gauge my workouts, but overall calories burned per day as well. I don't have tons of spare money to spend on this stuff, so I was wondering if I should get a Fitbit or a Polar HRM. Ideally, would I get both? Is there a device that combines both?

Also, which model of Polar HRM do people like the best, if I go with that?

Replies

• cyndist
    cyndist Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi MomofJoey,
    I have both. The HRM is Polar FT7 and love that for tracking my workouts. It gives a better reading while working out over the FitBit. But I also love the FitBit because it does track your calorie burn all day, your steps, stairs climbed and sends you little motivating messages. I would go with the FitBit to start with then add in the HRM when you can. The Polar FT7 is a great HRM. Really can't go wrong with either one. I also like the fact that you can log everything on the FitBit at their website or here for free.
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    I kind of gleaned that having both would be best, but that's like $150 total... hmmmm.
  • cyndist
    Options
    It's a hard decision. I started out with a HRM only because the FitBit was not available in 2005 =)
    Go for the fitbit they have great customer service and if you do go with fitbit a lot of women clip it onto their bras. I did that with two of them without the holder and both of them split in the middle. Use the holder =) and I now wear mine on my waist. Oh another bonus with the FB is it tracks your sleep.
    opps ETA: With the first one that split FB replaced it free of charge. The second one I said shame on me and bought the new ultra FB
  • thriftycupl
    thriftycupl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I have Fitbit and like how it connects into myfitnesspal. The trouble I have is with activities like bike riding -- it doesn't capture all the movement. It does remind me to get moving each day.
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I wear it all the time and it is cheap. $98 and no maintenance fees. I trust the calories more than I do from a HRM.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    I plan on getting a HRM eventually, but I have the fitbit now, and I love it. Great customer service, awesome little machine (something to do with a 3D sensor and other fun stuff) It is just a crazy machine. Besides, your fitbit syncs with MFP to give you adjustments on just your walking for the day.
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I wear it all the time and it is cheap. $98 and no maintenance fees. I trust the calories more than I do from a HRM.

I had never heard of this until I saw this on the message board. Just curious why you trust this more than a HRM? Will it log calories burned during workout dvd's or only walking.

Thanks!
  • cyndist
    Options

I had never heard of this until I saw this on the message board. Just curious why you trust this more than a HRM? Will it log calories burned during workout dvd's or only walking.

Thanks!

It will log workout dvds too. Only thing is is that if I am doing a Les Mills Pump with the million squats and hr is elevated due to all the squats fitbit does not accurately count the burn on that. The HRM does since it is directly over your heart. Example FB states I burn 91 calories with Les Mills Pump Extreme. HRM states all most 200.
  • MomOfJoey
    MomOfJoey Posts: 58
    Options
    It will log workout dvds too. Only thing is is that if I am doing a Les Mills Pump with the million squats and hr is elevated due to all the squats fitbit does not accurately count the burn on that. The HRM does since it is directly over your heart. Example FB states I burn 91 calories with Les Mills Pump Extreme. HRM states all most 200.

This is good to know, since I do 120+ squats with weights 3 times a week, and I feel like that must burn lots of calories. I really want to know how many!
  • mgs68pony
    mgs68pony Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    THANKS!