Personal Trainer

Options
Yesterday I hired a personal trainer and start with them next week. I am wondering if you can be too overweight to hire a personal trainer. I have lost 65 lbs on my own but I am still 299 lbs.

I also picked the hardest girl at my gym, I spent most of my 20's not truly happy and I want to make up for it in my 30's. I am also 6 weeks post-op from the lap band surgery. I have doing about 60 to 90 minutes of cardio for the last 3 months 5 days a week.

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    At this point, you are probably in a good position to work with someone--i.e. you've done a lot of work, achieved (I would expect) a decent level of cardio conditioning--now it's time to go to a different level.

If you haven't been lifting weights or doing higher-intensity workouts, you need time to adapt to those new activities. Me, I would question the trainer to find out exactly how she plans to address that. One problem--even with good trainers--is that they feel obligated to "give you your money's worth" on day 1 and beat you up unnecessarily.
  • pearsy67
    pearsy67 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I found that my trainer hammered me really hard for the first few sessions, just to learn what my limits and attitude to hard work were, It hurt and I was sore. But that is the thing with having a work out partner especially a professional one you pay for, they will push you more than you will push your self.
    It is a hard thing to learn that you are lazy and soft and that's where a trainer come in, they will push you to show you that you are actually tougher than you think.
    As a trainee remember the rules:
    Rule 1: Don't cry (tears of pain are allowed)
    Rule 2: Don't quit, you can fail to complete the task, but you can't quit the task.
    Rule 3: They don't mind abuse, it just lets them know they are not working you hard enough if you still have breath to curse them :-)
    Rule 4: You might be the customer, but you are NOT always right!
    Rule 5: NEVER EVER EVER tell then an exercise or task you hate! Silence is golden. Oh and never call them weak, that's just dumb (trust me:-)

But in all seriousness, if you get a good trainer they will push you much further then you would push yourself, and they will understand your limits. I have had mine since November and it was a hard start as we learnt each other, but he is able to go with the flow, push when I need it and go easy when my body isn't up to it. I see him twice a week and my wife uses him as well. But if you don't gel with your trainer after a couple of weeks, find another, it is so much more a relationship about trust and understanding then just sweat and heart-rate.

$0.02
    Cheers
  • katgirl985
    katgirl985 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been working with a trainer for about 6 weeks now and I absolutely LOVE it. I started working with him around 274 lbs and am down almost 20 since then.

I don't think you can be "too overweight" to work with a trainer, but if you aren't willing to push yourself it's not going to make any difference over what you were doing before. A trainer can suggest tons of stuff for you to do and take you through a workout but unless you are willing to leave everything you've got out on the floor, it isn't worth the money.

It sounds like you're serious about your weight loss and that you're off to a good start -- I'm think you'll get great results with your trainer! Just remember -- PUSH PUSH PUSH and don't give up! Feel free to add/message me if you have questions or want some support!
  • Emv79
    Emv79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    There is no ideal weight to start with a trainer. I was 193lbs and through cardio and watching what I ate, I was down to 168lbs in 6 months. I wanted to get some muscle definition (I wanted nice arms) and since muscle burns fat even during rest, I thought: why not? I started with a personal trainer as I had no clue where to start when it comes to weight training and I did not want to get injured. I have to say I was also bored with my cardio workouts, so I thought having someone else show me new ideas would be great.

I had my first trainer for 1 month (twice a week for 30min just doing weights as I did cardio on my own). Although he was very knowledgable, I quickly got bored as our personalities simply did not jive (I think he was used to guys that wanted to get bulky, but I felt like I joined the army...). I switched trainers (I felt bad at first, but I am paying for improvements to MY body,and he understood) and I like my current trainer so much that I've changed to 3/week (it's been 3 months now). He's full of energy, makes me laugh, calls me on my bs (ie: "I can't", "no way", "are you kidding?", etc), pushes me HARD, switches things up...but he also listens: if something really hurts (I only use the word when I feel pain...soreness is not pain), I tell him and we switch up how we work that muscle.

My $0.02: The most important thing with a trainer is making sure you are comfortable with them. They want you to see results (hey, they have a sense of pride too!), but if you are not comfortable to tell them the truth or their work style does not fit you, then switch, because it won't work.
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I found that my trainer hammered me really hard for the first few sessions, just to learn what my limits and attitude to hard work were, It hurt and I was sore. But that is the thing with having a work out partner especially a professional one you pay for, they will push you more than you will push your self.
    It is a hard thing to learn that you are lazy and soft and that's where a trainer come in, they will push you to show you that you are actually tougher than you think.
    Rule 2: Don't quit, you can fail to complete the task, but you can't quit the task.
    Rule 3: They don't mind abuse, it just lets them know they are not working you hard enough if you still have breath to curse them :-)
    Rule 5: NEVER EVER EVER tell then an exercise or task you hate! Silence is golden. Oh and never call them weak, that's just dumb (trust me:-)

But in all seriousness, if you get a good trainer they will push you much further then you would push yourself, and they will understand your limits. I have had mine since November and it was a hard start as we learnt each other, but he is able to go with the flow, push when I need it and go easy when my body isn't up to it. I see him twice a week and my wife uses him as well. But if you don't gel with your trainer after a couple of weeks, find another, it is so much more a relationship about trust and understanding then just sweat and heart-rate.

$0.02
    Cheers

lol at rule 5 very true !! so true about the relationship i have a fab one totaly proffsional and yet can still have a laugh with him :_)
  • myjourney2
    myjourney2 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I was 264 lbs when I started with my trainer on March 15th. I workout 3 times a week. Once with the trainer, once on my own and I also do one class a week. I have lost 7 lbs since I started with the trainer. I wouldnt give her up for a million dollars...lol

I am in the process of upping my cardio now and will probably head to the gym an extra day a week to work on the elliptical and the treadmill.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I started with my first trainer, I was 180 pounds... had never ever lifted a weight or really worked out in my life. My first trainers deal was to prove that he was a tough guy and because of it, I got injured more times then not.. so really do watch out for that.

My trainer that I have now is working on different goals with me.. one of which is lower body fat, get more defined and be able to do things I didn't do before(like barbell lifting). He also is very crazy and likes to use machines for purposes other then their intended ones.. so even if it looks a bit odd to me, it really does work!

Most importantly, just have fun.. if you are not enjoying it, then tell them. I know one poster said, don't tell them exercises that you hate/don't like, and personally I don't agree with that info. The first thing my trainer asked me was if there was anything I didn't like exercise wise, so he could find things I did like and would enjoy doing.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    It's great that you wanna step it up on exercise but, you seem to be forgetting the #1 in fitness. Diet is the most important thing and you seem to be undereating to me.
  • kvissy
    kvissy Posts: 205 Member
    Options

$0.02
    Cheers

lol at rule 5 very true !! so true about the relationship i have a fab one totaly proffsional and yet can still have a laugh with him :_)

#5--Let's just say I ended up doing 5 straight minute of burpees b/c of this.
  • sparks29
    sparks29 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. I am sure I will make the best use out of my trainer.