First 5K

Options
So I'm participating in my first 5K tomorrow. I signed up for the walk, with the intention to jog/walk it. I have been training, but not as hard as I probably should have. I was going for a run here and there when it was nice out and on other days just using my elliptical. Well this week I jogged the 5k. I didn't jog the whole thing but I only stopped to walk a few short times, and I didn't push too hard cause I was mostly focusing on being able to finish it. I was proud of myself. I have never been a runner. Many moons ago I was a swimmer, but even then I hated it and rarely ran.

Today i was talking to a co-worker and he asked about it. And I told him it took me a while (50 mins) but that I finished and I was just happy that I did. The look on his face and the sound in his voice when he said "oh.... yea that is a while." made me want to cry. I'm a big girl (229lbs) and just the fact that I'm out there trying to do this is an accomplishment! I know I shouldn't let it, but it's made me discouraged for tomorrow. If anyone has some words of encouragement I could really use them right now!

Thanks!

Replies

• saylou
    saylou Posts: 3
    Options
    Be Encouraged!! That's awesome about your first 5k! Who cares that you finished in 55 minutes?! You FINISHED and that's a huge accomplishment ! :)) I know it's hard when the people around you aren't always uplifting and supportive...but you have to refocus and remember that you CAN do this thing and you're doing it for YOU!

Keep it up Girl! You can so Rock this thing!! ;)
    Philippians 4:4-8

In Christ,
    Sarah <3
  • mpowers13
    mpowers13 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thank you so much for your kind words! I really needed them! :-) You are completely right! I'm doing it for me, not anyone else!
  • hagamivida
    hagamivida Posts: 129
    Options
    Dearest Mal Mal,
    My first and second 5k's (the only ones I have done) took me 48 minutes. Each. And I ran at least half of each race. I was dead last my first one. I expect mine next Saturday to be about 46 minutes, but my luck I will still be at 48. No worries and don't feel bad about it. If anyone makes a comment on it, they're being elitist and a *kitten*. You are doing something new, you are always faster than those on the couch, and this is a benchmark to beat next time. Running has no place for arrogant asshats. Remember you are a pterodactyl and can at least freak them out :-)
  • hagamivida
    hagamivida Posts: 129
    Options
    PS.
    Walkers beat me. And a 9 year old and I leap frogged the whole way on my second one.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I am doing my first tomorrow as well. I am using my first as my benchmark for the rest I run all summer. I am setting a race against myself :) I just hope my foot plays nice with me so I am not too slow.

Good luck tomorrow and HAVE FUN!
  • Lightbulb1088
    Lightbulb1088 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    you ran that is Great! the time does not matter. you got out and did it, be proud. :)
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself you are out there moving and taking care of yourself... You run/walk and have fun but mostly be proud ..let us know how you do good luck
  • trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    Be Encouraged!! That's awesome about your first 5k! Who cares that you finished in 55 minutes?! You FINISHED and that's a huge accomplishment ! :)) I know it's hard when the people around you aren't always uplifting and supportive...but you have to refocus and remember that you CAN do this thing and you're doing it for YOU!

Keep it up Girl! You can so Rock this thing!! ;)
    Philippians 4:4-8

In Christ,
    Sarah <3

Couldn't agree more...and from experiance doing my first 5K last fall. there is something to be said for the rush of the croud! That in it's self will keep you going! You will be great because you are great!
  • zombiemusicgirl
    zombiemusicgirl Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Your first 5k will be something you remember forever. I ran my first in about 45 minutes. Now I can crank them out in 33 minutes and I start training for a half in September. You will keep getting better and faster and farther. Good for you!
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did my first 5km a few weeks ago and am working towards a 10km at the end of May. The most important thing I was concentrating on for my race was "just keep going, one foot in front of the other". It does not matter what time you do, it does not matter if you have to walk to catch your breath. It only matters that you're trying and giving it what you've got!! I got lapped by people 20 years older than me and I though, "you know what, good on you!".

It's really disheartening what your coworker said, but try to ignore it. I have a lovely supportive coworker who used to run in his footy years. I told him I did my 5km in 42mins (not overly happy with my time but I was chuffed just to have finished!), he said "the point is you did it". That's so true. Be happy to cross the line and revel in your achievement. I can't stress this enough. :smile:
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ...And how many 5k's has he completed? ;)

I think you did great. I am running my first one tomorrow, and I am pretty nervous! I keep telling myself that as long as I finish, that is all that matters. I'm hoping to get under 40 minutes, but we will see. If I don't do as well as I would like, I guess that gives me an opportunity/excuse to try again in another 5K!
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! That's awesome that you finished it. Honestly I would have been too embarrassed to do one when I was heavier, so big kudos to you for just doing it.

Doesn't matter how long it took, you were still faster than everyone sitting at home on the couch!
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    50 minutes is not bad for your first time running the distance! If you keep at it, I promise you will get faster! Also, there is the race-day magic: we always run a bit faster during a race - I think it;s just all the excitement. Be careful not to start off too fast so you don't burn out; start at the back of the pack so you don't have to deal with the disheartening feeling of having lots of people swarm by you in the first quarter mile. Run your own race; don't compare yourself to skinny jocks who have been doing this for 20 years. Even if you come in last, you are way ahead of all those people who aren't running at all! If you picked a 5k that people will be walking in, you won't be last. Walk if you need to; your goal is just to complete the race. And then you will have a benchmark from which to chart your improvements over time as you get more and more fit!
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you! That's awesome that you finished it. Honestly I would have been too embarrassed to do one when I was heavier, so big kudos to you for just doing it.

Doesn't matter how long it took, you were still faster than everyone sitting at home on the couch!

^^ I totally agree with that. It's a lifestyle change, after all. It took me a really long time to even think I might possibly be able to run. I think you did an excellent job!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you!! I want to say that you are an inspiration to me.
    I cannot run/jog 5km yet.
    Reading your post has given me the courage to keep trying.
    Please do not let people like that get you down.
    You ROCK!!
    You are an inspiration to so many of us!!
  • greengold
    greengold Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So how did it go - running or run/walking your first 5k race? Let us know!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You are inspirational! That is so awesome that you finished it! I'm just starting to train for one and the thought of completing it close to your time is overwhelming!
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    Don't let other people discourage you! Right now, i am just happy if i run one extra minute longer than the day before! YOu should be so proud of yourself.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    how'd it go?
  • mbmorse1011
    mbmorse1011 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That is great that you are doing it! I did my first one this morning, my time was 37 mins but I've been training for 2 months to do it.

You are stepping in the right direction to better your life! That is all that matters.

Someone else has already said it but how many 5ks has he done?